Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:14:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Handling Bad Peers and Net Neutrality  (Read 1207 times)
Keyur @ Camp BX (OP)

Activity: 299
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2011, 08:01:19 AM

Bad Peers:

I ran a few searches across the forum but could not find an answer to this: How does the Bitcoin client handle bad peers (Other than rejecting bad TX and Blocks)?

If this functionality is not already built into the client, I would like to suggest this simple approach that frees up connections with bad peers:

If PEER_IP sends more than REJECT_THRESHOLD malicious transactions or blocks within past 24 hours, Ban(PEER_IP) for 24 hours.

Net Neutrality:

Many countries around the world have poor record on net neutrality, with selective blocking and government-run snooping programs.  Recent case in point: Egypt.

I wholeheartedly throw my newbie support behind Madhatter's recommendations to:
  • Use SSL connections
  • Randomizing ports at start-up
  • Populating SSL connect descriptors as "Apache" and "Firefox / Internet Explorer"

Thank you!

Please stay tuned to our news and announcements feeds at:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/CampBX
Facebook: https://facebook.com/CampBX

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MacRohard

Activity: 212
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 01:26:23 PM

Bad Peers:

I ran a few searches across the forum but could not find an answer to this: How does the Bitcoin client handle bad peers (Other than rejecting bad TX and Blocks)?

If this functionality is not already built into the client, I would like to suggest this simple approach that frees up connections with bad peers:

If PEER_IP sends more than REJECT_THRESHOLD malicious transactions or blocks within past 24 hours, Ban(PEER_IP) for 24 hours.

Net Neutrality:

Many countries around the world have poor record on net neutrality, with selective blocking and government-run snooping programs.  Recent case in point: Egypt.

I wholeheartedly throw my newbie support behind Madhatter's recommendations to:
  • Use SSL connections
  • Randomizing ports at start-up
  • Populating SSL connect descriptors as "Apache" and "Firefox / Internet Explorer"

Thank you!

SSL probably isn't useful here since it relies on a trusted certificate (if you include a cert/key with the client it can be extracted, if you don't there's nothing to trust). Obfuscating the bitcoin protocol so that it can't be easily identified might not be a bad idea... then again, it works over tor.. that might be good enough.

Gavin Andresen
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2011, 08:28:10 PM

Bad peer code that drops the connection and refuses reconnection seems like a good denial-of-service prevention measure.

My only hesitation is accidentally causing a network (and, therefore, block-chain) split if "bad" turns out to be "my peer is running a newer version of the protocol and is accidentally sending me messages I don't understand."

RE: net neutrality:  if you have to worry about your bitcoin traffic being shut down, I think that problem is better solved with TOR or another network proxy solution.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
Mike Hearn
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 08:42:21 PM

Yeah, temporary dos blocking would be a nice enhancement though there isn't much need for it today.

Probably you'd want to block an IP address (for say 24 hours) if more than 25% of transactions/blocks it sent failed to verify (cpu abuse attack). There might be other things that'd be worth blocking a peer for, but that seems to be the most important. An RPC to automatically reject connections from particular IPs is a good start.
Keyur @ Camp BX (OP)

Activity: 299
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2011, 11:19:27 PM

Bad peer code that drops the connection and refuses reconnection seems like a good denial-of-service prevention measure.

My only hesitation is accidentally causing a network (and, therefore, block-chain) split if "bad" turns out to be "my peer is running a newer version of the protocol and is accidentally sending me messages I don't understand."

RE: net neutrality:  if you have to worry about your bitcoin traffic being shut down, I think that problem is better solved with TOR or another network proxy solution.

Thank you Gavin - you know a whole lot more about the internals than I do at this point, so I am sure you and team will think of a couple of ideas for bad-peer blocking.  I just wanted to plant the seed for this, because one wasted connection out of 8 can reduce a node's network visibility by up to 12.5% for the worst case scenario.

Please stay tuned to our news and announcements feeds at:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/CampBX
Facebook: https://facebook.com/CampBX
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: