Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 09:39:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking about ways to make it more difficult to link IP address to txn creator.  (Read 7719 times)
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 10:40:34 PM

Rampion,

Congratulations you are first person to notice / post about the little surprise the Factom team sent out today!

We purposefully sent a little bitcoin to your address from the 1Factom vanity address.

The reason the Factom team sent these bitcoins out is to recognize you as an early adopter / supporter of new blockchain technology projects. (Your address was among many on the bitcoin ledger who previous supported other community projects)

We hope you will check out the Factom Software Sale and use this bit of bitcoin to claim your first Factoid(s) and thus be able to join our community as a beta tester / early adopter.

https://koinify.com/#/project/FACTOM

If you aren't interested, that's cool just keep the BTC as a small tip for being an active part of the community.

You rock.

Love Team Factom

Thanks djohnston, I supposed it could be advertising but it seemed strange the dust didn't come directly from the vanity address, I guess it was sent from a change address

Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 01:36:45 AM

This isn't the right thread for advertising scamcoins, but I suppose it is on topic in a kind of meta sense.
belcher

Activity: 261
Merit: 521

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 01:07:29 AM

I implemented what is effectively 'split routing' for Bitcoin Core some time ago (just a switch that makes it not relay transaction; so an additional utility can getrawtransaction and handle it some other way).  But it's not currently compatible with the conflicted detection in Bitcoin core because the transaction says out of the mempool until its heard over the network and erroneously shows as conflicted, so I've been waiting for that to change.   If someone is interested in working on this in Bitcoin Core, feel free to lemme know and I can point out what needs to be done.  Primary difficulty is just in writing test harnesses and test cases, because this area of the software is under-tested currently so we're not comfortable taking changes without accompanying tests.

It would be straight-forward on top of that to provide a small sidecar daemon that handled your broadcasting for you (including by using fancy things like a high latency mix network).

I assume the sidecar daemon needs to be notified somehow? So it doesn't have to poll.
Would -walletnotify fire?

1HZBd22eQLgbwxjwbCtSjhoPFWxQg8rBd9
JoinMarket - CoinJoin that people will actually use.
PGP fingerprint: 0A8B 038F 5E10 CC27 89BF CFFF EF73 4EA6 77F3 1129
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4172
Merit: 8419

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2015, 06:06:44 AM

I assume the sidecar daemon needs to be notified somehow? So it doesn't have to poll.
I believe it would-- but I wouldn't bother with wallet notify. Why not poll? the whole idea is to be private-- obscuring exact timing would help, and polling even once per few seconds would be inconsequential work.

Pond protects its users from traffic analysis by running every (IIRC) 10 minutes against the server (connecting over Tor, of course) and moving a constant amount of data, regardless of if there are any messages. There is also a transact-now button if you're being impatient.
ABISprotocol

Activity: 278
Merit: 251

ABISprotocol on Gist

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2015, 01:35:12 AM

The recent sybil attack on the network by Chainalysis got me thinking about identity being leaked by the high correlation between the first relayed IP address and the original creator.  IP can be a very powerful piece of identity information.  It alone can be useful but then combined with other measured can be used to build a real world identity and link transactions to it.  Granted the first relayed node may not be the sender but with enough nodes and some heuristics and multiple datapoints it becomes possible to start seeing the information from the noise.

Glad to see this discussion. Cross posting something that may be helpful:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1083961.msg11561739#msg11561739

(...)  So I guess we can be thankful that Chainalysis did such a horribly bad job out of the gate that they brought attention to the issue before someone competent tries.  Hiding the creator's IP address alone does not provide perfect privacy but it is a start.  

1) Nodes should support split routing
TOR, I2P, and VPN proxy are options to decouple your IP address from your transactions but bitcoin generates a lot of traffic when only a tiny portion of that is privacy related. Routing all of it through privacy protecting services is inefficient.  Split routing would allow the client to be configured to relay some of its traffic (like locally created transactions) to one network and the rest of the traffic (like relayed blocks) to another network.  By routing only a node's outbound txns the bandwidth requirements over the secure network can be reduced significantly.  It may be more secure to randomly pick a small portion of the received transaction to relay over the secure network and then add locally created transactions to that stream.  This makes exit node analysis more difficult in the event the exit node is compromised.   Still it should be possible to reduce the TOR bandwidth requirements by 99% or more.  Likewise users of VPN proxy services could take advantage of split routing to reduce cost as their bandwidth requirements will be low.

It sounds like you are saying that if I am using both Tor and a VPN for example, that bitcoin protocol could be configured to support some of the traffic going off along Tor and some of it going off along my VPN. 

(...)

3) Wallet developers should consider making it possible for a user to create a signed transaction without broadcasting and to import a signed transaction.
Armory already makes it easy to sign a transaction without broadcasting in offline mode (cold storage) but this could be useful feature for an online wallet as well and also implemented in Bitcoin core.  User creates a transaction in the wallet, checks an option to not broadcast and when signed receives the hex encoded raw transaction which he can send directly to the receiver.  Merchants and other service providers will likely use automated system to accept and process this transactions but end users may not.  Clients should make it easy to 'import' a signed transaction for validation and relaying.

If the user would be creating a signed transaction (or indicate preferences for the wallet to create a transaction that would be broadcast at a later time when a certain threshold is met) without broadcasting immediately and could specify that the basic conditions as to where and when the broadcasts should occur and let the wallet handle the rest, this sounds good, so long as the recipient does not have trouble receiving what is being sent. 

ABISprotocol (Github/Gist)
http://abis.io
ABISprotocol

Activity: 278
Merit: 251

ABISprotocol on Gist

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2016, 01:09:46 AM

I believe it would-- but I wouldn't bother with wallet notify. Why not poll? the whole idea is to be private-- obscuring exact timing would help, and polling even once per few seconds would be inconsequential work.

Pond protects its users from traffic analysis by running every (IIRC) 10 minutes against the server (connecting over Tor, of course) and moving a constant amount of data, regardless of if there are any messages. There is also a transact-now button if you're being impatient.

Posting an update here:

"Barclays partnering with Chainalysis in October and Coinalytics raising a $1.1m seed round in September. In August, Elliptic won "Security Project of the Year" after launching a blockchain visualization tool for the bitcoin blockchain.

Currently, Coinalytics... (blah blah blah)"

see http://www.coindesk.com/juan-llanos-blockchain-analytics-coinalytics/ for details. 

Once again, this calls to mind the necessity of implementing better privacy and / or anonymity solutions in bitcoin, which have not yet been actually implemented in Core ~ see as example:
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/3226

ABISprotocol (Github/Gist)
http://abis.io
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: