Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 02:46:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  
Author Topic: How to sign a message?!  (Read 141318 times)
zero1ten

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2016, 07:34:48 AM

-snip-
Oh my, that's my problem I'm not that knowledgeable about the specifics, I don't know if what should I copy and paste or whatever. Anyway in case of electrum, I'll try to download it and see how it goes. Thanks Shorena

For starters try signing a message like this:

Code:
This is zero1ten from bitcointalk.org and today is 2016/12/06

with just any of the electrum addresses and post it here so we can try to verify it.

Hi Shorena, I think electrum is not available in my country or maybe not in ios. I'm just using an iphone and I don't usually have the time to use laptop. Is there other wallet you may suggest preferably an app wallet? Tnx again and my apologies if I'm bothering you.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shorena (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2016, 07:44:43 AM

-snip-
Oh my, that's my problem I'm not that knowledgeable about the specifics, I don't know if what should I copy and paste or whatever. Anyway in case of electrum, I'll try to download it and see how it goes. Thanks Shorena

Code:

with just any of the electrum addresses and post it here so we can try to verify it.

Hi Shorena, I think electrum is not available in my country or maybe not in ios. I'm just using an iphone and I don't usually have the time to use laptop. Is there other wallet you may suggest preferably an app wallet? Tnx again and my apologies if I'm bothering you.

AFAIK electrum is only for desktop/android. I rarely have access to an iOS device, but mycelium is available for iOS[1] and on android it can be used to sign messages. It has the advantage that it even does the formatting for you, so you can just copy to clipboard at the end and paste the entire thing here.

[1] https://itunes.apple.com/app/mycelium-bitcoin-wallet/id943912290?mt=8

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
zero1ten

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2016, 08:02:11 AM

-snip-

Code:

AFAIK electrum is only for desktop/android. I rarely have access to an iOS device, but mycelium is available for iOS[1] and on android it can be used to sign messages. It has the advantage that it even does the formatting for you, so you can just copy to clipboard at the end and paste the entire thing here.

Ok thanks again, I'll get back when I'm done downloading mycelium.
zero1ten

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2016, 08:14:39 AM

-snip-

Code:

Hi again Shorena, finished downloading and here is my address from mycelium 1tyg1zSVXL22vsXoV8yfuWi97XipC734E
shorena (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2016, 08:21:46 AM

-snip-

Code:

Hi again Shorena, finished downloading and here is my address from mycelium 1tyg1zSVXL22vsXoV8yfuWi97XipC734E

Try signing the message in the above box with it, Ill see if I can verify it.

zero1ten

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2016, 08:41:34 AM

-snip-

Am I doing this correctly? Here is the code below with mycelium address

Code:
1tyg1zSVXL22vsXoV8yfuWi97XipC734E
shorena (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2016, 08:48:19 AM

-snip-

Code:

It has the address and the message, but its missing the actual signature part.

zero1ten

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2016, 09:27:37 AM
Last edit: December 06, 2016, 09:43:41 AM by zero1ten

-snip-

Code:

Sorry I'm such a noob, here below I copied a format

Code:
-----BEGIN BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE-----
This is zero1ten from bitcointalk.org
-----BEGIN BITCOIN SIGNATURE-----
Version: Bitcoin-qt (1.0)
Address: 1tyg1zSVXL22vsXoV8yfuWi97XipC734E
xpub6DULFX7dbmc7LYi5DksrdbMq8mykZjQJxpYunkB4PwQSt143fT8vGhArGJwTVnVsu6YmZuMyUrYeF8tzdLpkHsvQ7XZJNj5eZ4cgC81W3ZV
-----END BITCOIN SIGNATURE-----

How about this one?

Edit: I think there is no signed message option in mycelium ios wallet app unlike in the android version

Edit2: or is it the public key portion? Is that the one I supposed to put? Sorry again for bothering

Edit3: I put the public key
shorena (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2016, 11:06:09 AM

-snip-

Code:

Code:
xpub6DULFX7dbmc7LYi5DksrdbMq8mykZjQJxpYunkB4PwQSt143fT8vGhArGJwTVnVsu6YmZuMyUrYeF8tzdLpkHsvQ7XZJNj5eZ4cgC81W3ZV

How about this one?

Edit: I think there is no signed message option in mycelium ios wallet app unlike in the android version

Edit2: or is it the public key portion? Is that the one I supposed to put? Sorry again for bothering

I dont know if you can sign with the iOS version, I cant test it. The xpub is not the signature, its like all your addresses in one code. If you care about privacy you shouldnt post that publicly, but since this is a test it doesnt matter much. The signature is specific for the message you want to sign and address you want to sign with, you need to select "Sign Message" or something similar. It should at the very least ask you for a message.

zero1ten

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2016, 11:34:13 AM

-snip-

Code:

Code:

How about this one?

I dont know if you can sign with the iOS version, I cant test it. The xpub is not the signature, its like all your addresses in one code. If you care about privacy you shouldnt post that publicly, but since this is a test it doesnt matter much. The signature is specific for the message you want to sign and address you want to sign with, you need to select "Sign Message" or something similar. It should at the very least ask you for a message.

Ok thank you so much for the time Shorena, I guess ios wallet don't have the sign message option, I did try to look for it in the app but I can't see one. I'll just have to use a desktop for this one I supposed. Thanks agsin
FarmerHons

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 12, 2016, 01:37:21 AM

From the topic of this thread I would of assumed that you would have to be sick with a pen like a hentai animator on a paper wallet but obviously not since I am new to Bitcoin Signing Messages.

yeah-ha
DigiSoul

Activity: 133

View Profile
December 13, 2016, 03:14:49 PM

Well you told us how to sign a message .. But please tell me why it is needed to sign a message. What is it used for and why to sign a message?? Huh
CoinLearn

Activity: 329
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 13, 2016, 03:18:57 PM

Well you told us how to sign a message .. But please tell me why it is needed to sign a message. What is it used for and why to sign a message?? Huh

Primarily it is used to prove ownership of a bitcoin address.
shorena (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2016, 05:09:06 PM

As Coinlearn wrote, to prove you own a bitcoin address. Why prove that you may ask.

You can use a signed message as proof of funds. Signing a message with an address that holds a certain amount of funds, shows that you held or hold that amount.

You can use a signed message to prove to someone that you are still the same person as last year. Accounts here are traded often, bitcoin addresses almost never. Its possible though, so its not 100%.

You can use a signed message to agree to a private agreement. Lets say you staked your address in the thread here[1] and want to make a deal with someone you both prefer to stay private for some reason. If you both sign the agreement with your staked addresses you can disclose the agreement if needed. This is often a requirement when bitcointalk accounts are sold. It gives security to the buyer, that the seller will not try to reclaim the account via a signed message to the admins.

You can use a signed message to prove to the admins that you are the rightful owner of a hacked account. Its usually the only way to get a stolen account back.

[1] https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=996318.0

gregregervq

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 14, 2016, 04:34:51 AM

Thanks man this one really helps me, keep posting a thread like this to help the newbies like me thumbs up!
Luterwish

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 14, 2016, 08:18:13 AM

Thanks man this one really helps me, keep posting a thread like this to help the newbies like me thumbs up!

Really this thread has helped me very much as someone asked the signed message from my wallet address but as i was using online web wallet i was not able to get the details but through this thread i got all info about how to sign through lot of wallets web and desktop both
shorena (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2016, 10:16:19 AM

Really this thread has helped me very much as someone asked the signed message from my wallet address but as i was using online web wallet i was not able to get the details but through this thread i got all info about how to sign through lot of wallets web and desktop both

Good to hear, I modified the OP for you.

sportis

Activity: 406
Merit: 252

Veni, Vidi, Vici

View Profile
December 17, 2016, 12:09:57 AM

-- snip--

You can use a signed message to prove to someone that you are still the same person as last year. Accounts here are traded often, bitcoin addresses almost never. Its possible though, so its not 100%.

I read your post and I wondered the following; even is a stupid question:

I want to change my wallet but I want to keep a particular network address because I had given and I would not like to change it. Certainly, I had read somewhere that Satoshi proposed to not close ever wallets but I would like to know if is possible to "transfer", I mean to make, the same public address from blockchain wallet to another one; say multibit or electrum.
longbob72

Activity: 574
Merit: 503

V2h5IGFyZSB5b3UgcmVhZGluZyB0aGlzPw==

View Profile
December 17, 2016, 12:41:35 AM

-- snip--

I want to change my wallet but I want to keep a particular network address because I had given and I would not like to change it. Certainly, I had read somewhere that Satoshi proposed to not close ever wallets but I would like to know if is possible to "transfer", I mean to make, the same public address from blockchain wallet to another one; say multibit or electrum.

Not sure where you read that thing about satoshi. I've never heard anything like that.
If you want to reuse an address in another wallet all you need to do is get the private key of the address you want to use and import it to your new wallet.

▄▄███████▄▄                           ▄      ▄
   ██████████████▄                       ███    ███
  ███▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀████                     ███    ███
  █████████████▄ ▀███                    ███    ███   █▄ ▄▄
   ▀████▄  ▄▄███  ▀███                   ███    ███  ▄████
   ▄███████████   ▄███                  ███    ███  ▀▀███▀▀
   ███           ▄███         ▄▄▄▄      ███    ███     █    ▄▄  ▄▄▄▄
  ▄███     ▄▄▄▄█████        ▄█████▄    ▄██▀   ▄██▀    ███   █████████
  ███▄    ████████         ▄███▀▀███   ███    ███    ███▀   █████▀████
   ███     ▀▀█████▄      ▄█████▄ ███   ███    ███    ███    ████   ███
   ███         ▀███▄     ███▀███ ███  ███▀   ███▀    ███    ███▀   ███
   ███           ███▄    ███  ▀▀ ███  ███    ███    ███▀   ▄███    ███
   ▀██▄           ███    ███▄  ▄███   ███    ███    ███    ███    ███▀
    ███           ▀███▄   ████████    ███    ███    ███    ███    ███
    ▀██            ▀████   ▀████▀      ██     ██    ▀██    ▀█▀    ▀█▀

▄▄▀                ▀▄▄
     ▄ ▀▀                    ▀▀ ▄
   ▄ ▀▀▀                      ▀▀▀ ▄
  ▄▀▀▀                          ▀▀▀▄
 ▀█▄▄                            ▄▄█▀
▄█  ▄                            ▄  █▄
▀█ █▀                            ▀█ █▀
█▄  ▄                            ▄  ▄█
▀█ █                              █ █▀
█▄   █                          █   ▄█
 ██▄█▀                          ▀█▄██
  ▀▀  ▄█                      █▄  ▀▀
  ▀██▄ ▀  █▄              ▄█  ▀ ▄██▀
    ▀▀▀   ██  █▄      ▄█  ██   ▀▀▀
     ▀███▄▄▀  ███    ███  ▀▄▄███▀
        ▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▀    ▀▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀
          ▀▀█████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀
Free Bitcoins
Chat Lottery & Games
Level Up System with Rewards
▄████████▄  ▄████████▄
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
 ████████    ████████
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
▀████████▀  ▀████████▀
sportis

Activity: 406
Merit: 252

Veni, Vidi, Vici

View Profile
December 17, 2016, 12:56:15 AM
Last edit: December 17, 2016, 09:32:12 AM by sportis

-- snip--

If you want to reuse an address in another wallet all you need to do is get the private key of the address you want to use and import it to your new wallet.
Thank you

Not sure where you read that thing about satoshi. I've never heard anything like that.

May be the right word is "delete" and not "close" https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1029071.msg11126810#msg11126810 and somewhere else now I can't remember.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  

Jump to: