Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:31:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  
Author Topic: How to sign a message?!  (Read 141318 times)
uelque

Activity: 812
Merit: 126

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2018, 09:30:50 AM
Merited by shorena (2), BTCforJoe (1)

Hello shorena, I translated your post to Filipino, here : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3062163.0

Thank you for this wonderful thread. By the way, I noticed that Coinbase "how to for now", I guess it is an article, already doesn't exist today. I think it should be remove to the OP since it has no importance now. Just my suggestion!  Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
geverciss

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 12:44:37 PM

Hi! I signed it using Electrum. Hope I did it correctly Smiley

Code:
-----BEGIN BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE-----
This is geverciss from bitcointalk.org and today is 04 march 2018
-----BEGIN SIGNATURE-----
1MepqvfAXcLVP6pJhM1QjpRMGhYeg8mXcM
H6zR330fDtVGHBzMKnMs1RTlzb4I2au7Cm7HASn5x7yBV2mPXbDWN8SrfHRpqsiHioRVF9QNQuw6TIHoofMAlgo=
-----END BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE-----
JeremyB

Merit: 270

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 01:10:23 PM

Hi! I signed it using Electrum. Hope I did it correctly Smiley

Code:
This is geverciss from bitcointalk.org and today is 04 march 2018
1MepqvfAXcLVP6pJhM1QjpRMGhYeg8mXcM
H6zR330fDtVGHBzMKnMs1RTlzb4I2au7Cm7HASn5x7yBV2mPXbDWN8SrfHRpqsiHioRVF9QNQuw6TIHoofMAlgo=

You did it well Wink
Verified with BrainWallet
shorena (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2018, 02:07:50 PM

Hello shorena, I translated your post to Filipino, here : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3062163.0

Thank you for this wonderful thread. By the way, I noticed that Coinbase "how to for now", I guess it is an article, already doesn't exist today. I think it should be remove to the OP since it has no importance now. Just my suggestion!  Grin

Thanks, added.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
shorena (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2018, 08:48:03 PM
Last edit: March 04, 2018, 09:03:05 PM by shorena

~snip~

I import address and click on more options but its don't showing sign Message. It's showing Archive, Transfer, Spend.
Based my thread in my local sub https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2946861.0, I'll make this thread more completly with this, especially how to make sign messages bitcoin address at blockchain.info wallet

Question : If there is already a thread about that, why did you created this thread man? Are you wanted to spam or something?! Go away!
Answer : No dear, certainly I'm not. I did this because Shorena still didn't give detail a tutorial on how to sign a message with new version blockchain wallet.

-snip-

Just to make clear why I didnt add this to the post.

#1 I just now noticed it and lately I tend to be away from the forum for long periods of time.
#2 I think this tutorial is dangerous or at the very least I have no way to determine how safe it is.[1] It requires you to manually handle private keys and trust (or understand) source code that is not widely used as a wallet. I think the steps could be improved by not relying on the github repo, but rather on e.g. electrum. Then again, importing a key from electrum into bc.i would be pointless as you could just sign with electrum directly.

[1] Is the code sound? Is the entropy generation sound? Are the steps given in a language I dont understand good? Is focus drawn to the possible pitfalls of handling unencrypted private keys in your clipboard? Why this repo and not e.g. bitaddress or brainwallet, etc.?

Edit: I just tested it, addresses created with new wallets still can not be used to sign messages with.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Sigmas55

Activity: 658
Merit: 36

Telegram:@sigmas55

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 12:43:58 AM
Last edit: July 05, 2018, 01:09:50 AM by Sigmas55

Code:
Today is 06.03.2018
This is to verify my BTT account sigmas55
1KAMUgqoTkUrziPJUdwziShcHFhKcAcPLn
ICC8Fsz//+Lqkwy1FNSufaZctZ1/Qk5WrRNAvqbK8NxZXa63139aLcSfzoh5Ju11QijLxzg9Z6LDJoHbqV25OdQ=

Electrum Wallet with 2FA didn't work for me (I think because it has some sort of multi-sig functionality), I had to make a regular wallet, I also did not choose Segwit, I thought it might not sign messeges as well.

Thank you Shorena for the lesson, I might translate your topic and post it in the Arabic sub-forum if I have the time (& if you don't mind of course).
InvoKing
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1065

✋(▀Ĺ̯ ▀-͠ )

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2018, 02:30:02 PM

Code:
Today is 06.03.2018
This is to verify my BTT account sigmas55
1KAMUgqoTkUrziPJUdwziShcHFhKcAcPLn
ICC8Fsz//+Lqkwy1FNSufaZctZ1/Qk5WrRNAvqbK8NxZXa63139aLcSfzoh5Ju11QijLxzg9Z6LDJoHbqV25OdQ=

Electrum Wallet with 2FA didn't work for me (I think because it has some sort of multi-sig functionality), I had to make a regular wallet, I also did not choose Segwit, I thought it might not sign messeges as well.

Thank you Shorena for the lesson, I might translate your topic and post it in the Arabic sub-forum if I have the time (& if you don't mind of course).

Verified
You can sign a message with segwit addresses, meanwhile address starting with bc1 can't be verified by other wallets except electrum afaik.

PSPD:law and order enforcement!
Press Section Police Department!
pandukelana2712

Activity: 728
Merit: 1005

BountyPortal Supporter & Hhampuz is my manager

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 02:41:12 PM

~snip~

I import address and click on more options but its don't showing sign Message. It's showing Archive, Transfer, Spend.
Based my thread in my local sub https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2946861.0, I'll make this thread more completly with this, especially how to make sign messages bitcoin address at blockchain.info wallet

Question : If there is already a thread about that, why did you created this thread man? Are you wanted to spam or something?! Go away!
Answer : No dear, certainly I'm not. I did this because Shorena still didn't give detail a tutorial on how to sign a message with new version blockchain wallet.

-snip-

Just to make clear why I didnt add this to the post.

#1 I just now noticed it and lately I tend to be away from the forum for long periods of time.
#2 I think this tutorial is dangerous or at the very least I have no way to determine how safe it is.[1] It requires you to manually handle private keys and trust (or understand) source code that is not widely used as a wallet. I think the steps could be improved by not relying on the github repo, but rather on e.g. electrum. Then again, importing a key from electrum into bc.i would be pointless as you could just sign with electrum directly.

[1] Is the code sound? Is the entropy generation sound? Are the steps given in a language I dont understand good? Is focus drawn to the possible pitfalls of handling unencrypted private keys in your clipboard? Why this repo and not e.g. bitaddress or brainwallet, etc.?

Edit: I just tested it, addresses created with new wallets still can not be used to sign messages with.
#1. I'm waiting to discuss with you more than a week.  Smiley
#2. About the security, I totally agree with you.
I already warned about this, by posting this:
~snip~

EDIT:
For some reason, I'm not suggest you to use blockchain.info as your main wallet.
This is just tutorial, how to make signature message at b.info wallet.

Following your Dos and Don't
Dos and Don'ts:
return to index

• DO include the current date. This ensures the signature can not be reused on a different day.
  • DO include the reason and be specific. This ensures the signature can not be resued for a different reason.
  • DO include your nickname and where you use it. This ensures the signature can not be reused, e.g. by Shorena on AcmeCorpTalk.

• DO NOT use a compromised machine (virus, keylogger, etc.) to create a signature. Signing unlocks your wallets protection the same way spending bitcoin does.
  • DO NOT upload your private key somewhere in order to create a signature.
  • DO NOT give your private key to someone else in order to create a signature for you.

I made this because I was curious about it:
How can I sign a message in the new blockchain?It seems I can't find a sign button there,I've only seen the verify one.It's not in the manage options.
By blockchain I assume you are referring to blockchain.info

To sign a message, go to the "Settings" tab on left, Click on "Addresses", Click on "More Options" in front of your required address, Choose "Sign Message" .

Does the new version allow signing messages? My last info is only the old wallet version does.
~
I added an example how to post the signed message for the blockchain.info part here.

~snip~
Blockchain.info v2 2016.05.11
return to index

Update (2017.5.13): According to user apoorvlathey it is now possible to sign messages with the new version as it was in the past. User sHeRiLyN1618 reports that this is only possible for imported addresses, but not addresses generated with the service. For more information read the posts starting from here -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=990345.msg18991565#msg18991565

Update (2016.5.11): It is now possible to sign messages with imported private keys.
Th0ur007 wrote a step by step here
-> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1467458

Note: Blockchain.info's new wallet does not allow you to sign a message, nor does it allow you to easily export the private key in order to sign with a different wallet. There is a crude work around here -> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-2l6xOqcbjs9QWEqSh72RD1d8EEdvG_hQuEXw_f_o6w/edit
Use at your own risk!

~snip~

Luckily for me, I found this thread in my local board: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2107937.0, this thread give a simple tutorial on how to find a private key of blockchain.info wallet address.
Firstly, I make a backup of blockchain.info wallet using wallet recovery phrase, then I write 12-16 "magic word" at notepad.
Two, I download this tools: https://github.com/iancoleman/bip39, then I went offline.
I run this tools in offline mode, I fill my 12-16 "magic word" to BIP39 Mnemonic form, and I get result privkey instantly.
Video mode: https://youtu.be/xwksiStDZD4 (with Indonesian subtitle)

After I have my private key, I follow this step https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=990345.msg18991565#msg18991565

And yes, I can export the priv.key to electrum 3.0.6 too, and both of them have same result signature.

EDIT: at step 5, remove "colour address" and fill it with priv.key
Its works for me and some user at my local sub

Big thanks for this thread, shorena.
I'll translate this thread in my local sub if you dont mind and give me permission for this
And I'll big mark Dos and Dont for warning, then put additon from JeremyB's and me.

JamalAmal99

Activity: 364
Merit: 130

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 09:06:33 AM
Last edit: March 09, 2018, 12:20:40 PM by JamalAmal99

Hello shorena,
I translated your thread to Indonesian language, here : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3092593.msg31915126#msg31915126
This thread very helpful to newbie.
Btw, I suggest you! create how to get private key on blockchain.info
as pandukelana2712 explained

Luckily for me, I found this thread in my local board: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2107937.0, this thread give a simple tutorial on how to find a private key of blockchain.info wallet address.
Firstly, I make a backup of blockchain.info wallet using wallet recovery phrase, then I write 12-16 "magic word" at notepad.
Two, I download this tools: https://github.com/iancoleman/bip39, then I went offline.
I run this tools in offline mode, I fill my 12-16 "magic word" to BIP39 Mnemonic form, and I get result privkey instantly.
Video mode: https://youtu.be/xwksiStDZD4 (with Indonesian subtitle)

After I have my private key, I follow this step https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=990345.msg18991565#msg18991565

And yes, I can export the priv.key to electrum 3.0.6 too, and both of them have same result signature.

EDIT: at step 5, remove "colour address" and fill it with priv.key
Its works for me and some user at my local sub

Big thanks for this thread, shorena.
I'll translate this thread in my local sub if you dont mind and give me permission for this
And I'll big mark Dos and Dont for warning, then put additon from JeremyB's and me.
tret

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 08:07:39 PM

Hi, I am new here, I mean I am new to everything, don't know why I'm here... Might sound really stupid, but I read the post, I understood the need to sign a message, I understood the examples given (Still don't know why I am here, doesn't have anything to do with the reply, just stating the fact that....). My question is can I be here and have no idea of what the entire bitcointalk forum or what bitcoin really is? Can I understand it here or do I have to figure that out myself? Is there some grand post hidden that helps complete newbies? I mean complete newbies without the knowledge of bitcoin, but would like to be part of it? I don't even know if anyone would understand this...   Undecided
InvoKing
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1065

✋(▀Ĺ̯ ▀-͠ )

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2018, 02:13:13 AM

Hi, I am new here, I mean I am new to everything, don't know why I'm here... Might sound really stupid, but I read the post, I understood the need to sign a message, I understood the examples given (Still don't know why I am here, doesn't have anything to do with the reply, just stating the fact that....). My question is can I be here and have no idea of what the entire bitcointalk forum or what bitcoin really is? Can I understand it here or do I have to figure that out myself? Is there some grand post hidden that helps complete newbies? I mean complete newbies without the knowledge of bitcoin, but would like to be part of it? I don't even know if anyone would understand this...   Undecided

I was born ready! This sentence isn't true, everyone need to learn, you can have many informations here in bitcointalk and in the web.
Start searching in https://bitcoin.org and take a look on our beginners & help board https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=39.0
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Main_Page could helps also
Good luck

PSPD:law and order enforcement!
Press Section Police Department!
uelque

Merit: 126

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2018, 11:17:00 AM

Isn't it obvious that you are interested that's why you are here. Just like at school, we go to class everyday without knowing what would be the topic but we understand every small information being given because we want to learn. Same here! And also you understand what is written in the post because it can easily be understood and it is in the form of pictures. 

Since someone already posted the the link of the right board for newbies above I still like to add one thing. It is not enough saying only, you understand what was written! Also try to sign a message...  Wink
disko_kraljica

Activity: 57
Merit: 23

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 10:33:50 PM

I hope I made it correctly.

Code:
This is disko_kraljica from bitcointalk.org and today is 2018.03.31.
1DiDZbw2gwpgYZ33pyoT7vmwuduF3sooQa
HxUlYwEeexu94PZT53YFJvozryfUq9cg2jTeIqzbPkM+Ag3BgbF70NU2tiK2fwN65m+Be5IhlCW+jbk321po11M=

BTCforJoe

Activity: 882
Merit: 976

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2018, 10:42:39 PM

I hope I made it correctly.

Code:
This is disko_kraljica from bitcointalk.org and today is 2018.03.31.
1DiDZbw2gwpgYZ33pyoT7vmwuduF3sooQa
HxUlYwEeexu94PZT53YFJvozryfUq9cg2jTeIqzbPkM+Ag3BgbF70NU2tiK2fwN65m+Be5IhlCW+jbk321po11M=

Indeed, you did. Good job!

wwzsocki
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1706

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2018, 01:43:01 PM

This tutorial is one of the best written and updated tutorials in Bitcointalk and should be taken as an example for future tutors. I had some problems with the sign and verify using Blockchain.info wallet an this is how I found this thread. This all awarded merits are not wasted for sure and OP deserved even more. Keep up with posting such good tutorials OP because this is the real value of this forum.

charithbtc3

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 06:48:52 PM

i my full member account hacked.i locked up it and i want to unlock it. i have a posted btc address. its bittrex address. can i make a signature from that bittrex address?
apoorvlathey

Activity: 1162
Merit: 547

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2018, 06:57:48 PM
Merited by vlad230 (1)

i my full member account hacked.i locked up it and i want to unlock it. i have a posted btc address. its bittrex address. can i make a signature from that bittrex address?

Sorry to say, but NO, you can't use Bittrex address to sign a message because you don't have access to the private key of addresses belonging to exchanges.
You should have already stacked your address here : Stake your Bitcoin address here because if you did so earlier, you would have realised this and used some other address.
Without proof forum administrators won't be able to help you.

Maus0728
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1552

Bitcoin Casino Est. 2013

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 02:32:07 AM

I cant verify my address because I don't hold my private keys, I used coins.ph as an address that's why I cant provide a signature as well as signing a message, I do stake my BTC address at tomacage post.

███▄▀██▄▄
░░▄████▄▀████ ▄▄▄
░░████▄▄▄▄░░█▀▀
███ ██████▄▄▀█▌
░▄░░███▀████
░▐█░░███░██▄▄
░░▄▀░████▄▄▄▀█
░█░▄███▀████ ▐█
▀▄▄███▀▄██▄
░░▄██▌░░██▀
░▐█▀████ ▀██
░░█▌██████ ▀▀██▄
░░▀███
▄▄██▀▄███
▄▄▄████▀▄████▄░░
▀▀█░░▄▄▄▄████░░
▐█▀▄▄█████████
████▀███░░▄░
▄▄██░███░░█▌░
█▀▄▄▄████░▀▄░░
█▌████▀███▄░█░
▄██▄▀███▄▄▀
▀██░░▐██▄░░
██▀████▀█▌░
▄██▀▀██████▐█░░
███▀░░
pandukelana2712

Activity: 728
Merit: 1005

BountyPortal Supporter & Hhampuz is my manager

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 06:04:39 AM

I cant verify my address because I don't hold my private keys, I used coins.ph as an address that's why I cant provide a signature as well as signing a message, I do stake my BTC address at tomacage post.
I don't know if it's a general observation or just my ignorance, I can't sign a message from a wallet app from Android playstore. Does it mean it is not possible with an app except we go through the web page?
I suggest both of you making new bitcoin address.
Use the best wallet as well, the recommended wallet you can see at miss Lauda thread at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1631151.0
risinqsun

Activity: 672
Merit: 273

-

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 10:36:54 AM

Code:
This is risinqsun from bitcointalk.org and today is 2018.04.04
or as some of you might write it 04/04/18 pi day 2018
16WEuf2ppi5P3M7S9xmFTEBmDwuJoiPj9P
IDBf8Qf3Zd+sbfPsMXCg623KYwUmDQMgMAKwFTLTDCptCnlje2mEDZDwSh1Sf5xkZpikEK//wwDgzKRehroVV3w=

is it correct ? please sir give me news
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  

Jump to: