Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 02:45:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I hate Windoze!  (Read 1775 times)
MoonShadow (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 10:26:50 PM

I just got my bitcoin client working on my thumbdrive in a truly portable fashion, i.e. so that the windows bitcoin client wouldn't put the wallet.dat onto whatever windoze machine that I was using at the time, and then the windoze machine that I was using at work today had a hiccup of some kind while I had the bitcoin client open and my entire thumbdrive was corrupted.  69 BTC, gone.

Don't forget to back up your wallet.dat files, particularly if you use untrustworthy operating systems.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Anonymous

May 25, 2011, 10:33:02 PM

Well, that just took a chunk out of the block chain.
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 10:59:36 PM

I just got my bitcoin client working on my thumbdrive in a truly portable fashion, i.e. so that the windows bitcoin client wouldn't put the wallet.dat onto whatever windoze machine that I was using at the time, and then the windoze machine that I was using at work today had a hiccup of some kind while I had the bitcoin client open and my entire thumbdrive was corrupted.  69 BTC, gone.

Don't forget to back up your wallet.dat files, particularly if you use untrustworthy operating systems.

Oh man, you didn't have a backup? Don't write to it! Perhaps you can dd if=dev/sda1 of=/dev/sdb1 ?
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2011, 11:22:05 PM

Perhaps you can dd if=dev/sda1 of=/dev/sdb1 ?
Yes you could definitely try something like that, just because windows declares it's corrupted doesn't necessarily mean it is.

Basiley

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 01:34:43 AM

there was some forensic-dedicated live-cd distros on distrowatch.com
and also i saw something related [with fancy GFX UI :-P] in Debian repository.
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 01:38:14 AM

If you run data recovery programs, remember to use them on an image copy of the USB stick, not the actual device!

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
Basiley

Activity: 42

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 01:43:43 AM
Last edit: May 26, 2011, 06:35:21 AM by Basiley

If you run data recovery programs, remember to use them on an image copy of the USB stick, not the actual device!
and/or use read-only blocking device, permitting modifying/recovering/analyzed media/storage alteration/ruination during recovery/forensic.
and cross fingers. a bit Wink
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 01:44:40 AM

and/or use read-only blocking device, permitting modifying/recovering/analyzed media/storage.
and cross fingers. a bit Wink

I don't expect your average person to have a hardware write blocker on hand. Smiley

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
Paperweight

Activity: 41
Merit: 41

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 02:31:01 AM

Do you have an old copy of your wallet on your computer? Check %appdata% It might still work.
What filesystem did you use on the usb drive?
It's probably a bad idea to have wallet accessed from usb drive itself, which might not be using write caching. It wouldn't matter what OS you used if the computer crashed while writing to the wallet.
ron

Activity: 56

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 03:13:10 AM

It would definitely be worth it to have a professional take a look at it.
Batouzo

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 03:32:57 AM

Shit happens...

Although this one may be actually not-windows "fault", perhaps just broken usb pen itself. As others said, boot up some linux livecd like "RIP linux" or even Ubuntu install cd in livecd mode,
copy blocks to image file and try to recover it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: