Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:32:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Screenshots from epochtalk  (Read 7535 times)
kcud_dab (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin enthusiast!

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2015, 05:32:53 PM
Last edit: April 14, 2015, 10:41:02 PM by kcud_dab

Hi,

I just build the current available code to see what the new forum system (will ?) look like.

Here are some more screenshots :
->http://bitcoin-fr.io/tmp/epoch/ (edit : link updated)

Only things that seem to work is login, register (didn't manage to login in after with a new account, didn't dig into it), creation / edition of new topics / reply and profile updating.
Others features are not working / not present, I don't know if there is a private and more advanced repo elsewhere. What I built is the code from the public repo https://github.com/epochtalk/epochtalk at this date.

Edit :
Note that the software is not yet feature-complete (in particular, the Web design is far from done), and the public repository doesn't contain everything already done.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2015, 05:41:39 PM

Thank you very much.

If it isn't hard, can you tell how you installed this? Failed a few times. There is other thread created by Bitcoin_BoY$, explanation in it would be helpful. Thank you!

Edit: Bitcoin_BoY$' thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=991708.0

kcud_dab (OP)
Legendary

Bitcoin enthusiast!

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2015, 06:06:12 PM

You will need :
 - node / npm
 - foreman (available via gems)
 - postgresql (which accepts connections without password), maybe create the dev database before (that's what I did), create a database.json from example.database.json in the frontend folder

And follow instruction from https://github.com/epochtalk/epochtalk , where are you blocked during setup ?
Some tips :
 - "npm run build" -> to build to JS / CSS, as it is *not* done when running "npm run start"
 - "npm run db-recreate" -> to init the database
 - "npm run db-devseed" -> to init some data (a category and an user) and verify that the port is your local port (hard coded in "frontend/tests/seed/devseed.js" )
 - "epoch --seed" doesn't seem to work here, but it's optionnal
 - my default dev port was "5000", didn't know from where it came from and I overwrited it in "frontend/config.js"

redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 06:49:53 PM

You will need :
 - node / npm
 - postgresql (which accepts connections without password), maybe create the dev database before (that's what I did), create a database.json from example.database.json in the frontend folder

And follow instruction from https://github.com/epochtalk/epochtalk , where are you blocked during setup ?
Some tips :
 - "npm run build" -> to build to JS / CSS, as it is *not* done when running "npm run start"
 - "npm run db-devseed" -> to init some data (a category and an user) and verify that the port is your local port (hard coded in "frontend/tests/seed/devseed.js" )
 - my default dev port was "5000", didn't know from where it came from and I overwrited it in "frontend/config.js"

Woow , fantastic! I wanted to install the forum on a vps while ago, now I will try on localhost here on my personal computer. It looks like : amazing (for me screenshot that I have seen) Smiley.

Thanks @kcud_dab again for the help.
Decksperiment

Activity: 630
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 06:57:21 PM

We have to install the forum? I'll no be here much loger then lol, this is a HUGE security risk, for then people can see other's connection's, no?

Ah.. this is just the new forum, so we dont have to install to use bitcointalk? Phew.. my bad  Shocked
redsn0w
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 07:04:44 PM

We have to install the forum? I'll no be here much loger then lol, this is a HUGE security risk, for then people can see other's connection's, no?

It is not an obligation, if you want to "test" the new forum software then build the current github version on localhost or maybe better on a vps and try it. I think a lot of users *want*  see how it will look like (we have waited almost ~ 1 year).
Decksperiment

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 07:12:47 PM

I'm actually still lost, I know how to install web service's atc, I was taught IT security and server design, by Tinsley Lockart in washington dc, who came all the way here to teach all of 10 people, back in '98.. so installing aint the problem, but it 'appear's' that we need to install bitcointalk.org's forum software on OUR machines before we can login to bitcointalk.org, is this correct?

What if we're on a lappy without the software, using free bus wifi travelling halfway across the country, how to login?
Bitcoin_BOy$

Activity: 854
Merit: 503

|| Web developer ||

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 07:47:35 PM

You will need :
 - node / npm

Some tips :

What difficult for me is that i have windows and its so hard to install those required file with it i learned yesterday how to
install file with npm , and start installing it , it took more than 20 minutes and downloaded 131 mb ! 
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12865

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 07:59:23 PM

but it 'appear's' that we need to install bitcointalk.org's forum software on OUR machines before we can login to bitcointalk.org, is this correct?

These are instructions to install the server software that will in the future run on bitcointalk.org. Forum users will not be required to install anything with the new software.

Note that the software is not yet feature-complete (in particular, the Web design is far from done), and the public repository doesn't contain everything already done.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Decksperiment

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 08:01:35 PM

Thanks for the clarification, for a moment it appeared we'd all have to install it, I thought waaaa? Cheers Wink
Bitcoin_BOy$

Activity: 854
Merit: 503

|| Web developer ||

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 08:15:52 PM

but it 'appear's' that we need to install bitcointalk.org's forum software on OUR machines before we can login to bitcointalk.org, is this correct?

These are instructions to install the server software that will in the future run on bitcointalk.org. Forum users will not be required to install anything with the new software.

Can someone please create a video tutorial to teach how to install the new forum
the Web design is far from done
 that's 10/10 right the design showed in the schreenshot is not complete
and also not very perfect  Roll Eyes , Will you made some design changes in the future even if the slickage finish the script ??

Kind Of Respect ,
Bitcoin Boy
Cyrus
Ninja
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 2948

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 10:42:50 PM

What difficult for me is that i have windows and its so hard to install those required file with it i learned yesterday how to
install file with npm , and start installing it , it took more than 20 minutes and downloaded 131 mb ! 

The install will be simplified for the end user in the near future.

crazyearner
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 10:46:23 PM

SO this going to be the new forums? is it likely to change and be implemented into current one and everything like our user details transfer over or is this just going to be fresh and restart of bitcointalk. Or is this just software that will be available for people to use?

=
  R E B E L L I O U S 
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  R E B E L L I O U S
Decksperiment

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 11:22:32 PM

I am not qualified to know what the admins intend, but as I see it

Epochtalk is new forum software, like every other forum software with a difference.. it aint ready yet..

When it is they will migrate this site to it..

Then release it..

I'm sure we could get our hands on 'beta', but I'll just wait till it's complete, let them devs earn that 1.5 million..

Superhitech
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 11:50:34 PM

SO this going to be the new forums? is it likely to change and be implemented into current one and everything like our user details transfer over or is this just going to be fresh and restart of bitcointalk. Or is this just software that will be available for people to use?

From what I've read, all our user details will be migrated over, all data will be saved. This software will also be available for other forums to use.

The screenshots of the new design look pretty nice so far! It's a clean and modern design.
ScryptAsic

Activity: 647
Merit: 501

GainerCoin.com 🔥 Masternode coin 🔥

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2015, 12:01:20 AM

I am excited and kind of not all at the same time. I am just so used to the current BCT that it will be hard to change to something new. Lets hope the new forum transition goes smooth though.
kcud_dab (OP)
Legendary

Bitcoin enthusiast!

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2015, 12:26:35 AM

This is a new forum engine that everybody will be abble to download / install (like SMF, phpBB, IP.Board etc..).
There is also an "importer" to import the data from an existing SMS 1.x install, it will be used when this forum will switch from SMF to this new engine (epochtalk).

So your datas here will be tranfered to the new database / forum that will replace this one, and if anyone want to run his own forum he will be abble to use epochtalk engine

crazyearner
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 12:30:17 AM

This is a new forum engine that everybody will be abble to download / install (like SMF, phpBB, IP.Board etc..).
There is also an "importer" to import the data from an existing SMS 1.x install, it will be used when this forum will switch from SMF to this new engine (epochtalk).

So your datas here will be tranfered to the new database / forum that will replace this one, and if anyone want to run his own forum he will be abble to use epochtalk engine

That sure is going to take some doing if you going from ground up then. Will look forward to the new coming forums. No doubt will have many ideas for features to be installed. Who best to submit to. Am guessing yourself?

=
  R E B E L L I O U S 
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  R E B E L L I O U S
redsn0w
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 10:57:34 AM

That sure is going to take some doing if you going from ground up then. Will look forward to the new coming forums. No doubt will have many ideas for features to be installed. Who best to submit to. Am guessing yourself?

You can also open a thread here in the "new forum software" section and tell which feature you want to say, and maybe the Slickage team can add it. I will try to install it on localhost (today , if I have a little bit of time free).
kcud_dab (OP)
Legendary

Bitcoin enthusiast!

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2015, 11:06:03 AM

Who best to submit to. Am guessing yourself?
I'm not part of the devs so not to me but this section is made for this ( https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=523070.0 )

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: