Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:55:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Backyard Barbecues and Smokers In Danger From EPA Regulators  (Read 2042 times)
saddampbuh
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 18, 2015, 05:58:10 PM

Third world countries argue for limiting emissions on a per capita basis, which the developed world doesn't agree to. It would be meaningless to have an absolute level on emissions without taking into account the population. You should understand that China and India are the 2 most populous countries in this world.
right. but reducing emissions on a per capita basis would mean our living standards going down as china's and india's go up to converge somewhere in the middle. random numbers but instead of our average yearly income being 50k and theirs being 5k we'll all be on 10k and have just about enough to eat but not chicken and beef every day and cars and air travel. does that sound good to you because i for one am not willing to accept a reduced quality of life so that the third world can keep growing its population  as much as it wants and demanding an ever bigger slice of the pie.

Anything that bring us more in line with the rest of the world is a good thing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_ecological_footprint

The world is not yours to consume, fat american. You are borrowing it from your children, and their children.
this person understands the issue and is honest, but don't any of you put your heads in the sand and pretend we can cut emissions without impoverishing ourselves so that africans and indians can double their population every couple of generations.

Be radical, have principles, be absolute, be that which the bourgeoisie calls an extremist: give yourself without counting or calculating, don't accept what they call ‘the reality of life' and act in such a way that you won't be accepted by that kind of ‘life', never abandon the principle of struggle.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Rishblitz

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

I'm nothing without GOD

View Profile
March 18, 2015, 09:41:00 PM

because its none of governments fucking business?
Actually, the environment is everybody's business, because it affects all of us. Part of the government's job is to protect everyone from selfish, entitled adult-children who are too stupid to consider externalized costs like environmental destruction. Fuck you, fuck your water-wasting lawns, fuck your BBQs. Our children deserve better.
Actually, Mr. Green, a barbecue is a completely natural way of cooking. How is this destroying the environment? What if I decided to make a fireplace on my land and cook this way instead of using a microwave like the rest of you tree huggers?
It's funny how people like you drive a car to work every day, drink from plastic bottles and then sit in front of their computers, surrounded by wooden furniture writing this crap about environment and pollution, telling people how to live and cook their meals.

Using a microwave still uses energy and most energy produced still comes from fossil fuels. so grilling out is probably better then a microwave.

eddie13
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 2262

BTC or BUST

View Profile
April 04, 2017, 11:58:29 PM

Trump just "took a hatchet to the EPA", so we can end this sort of nonsense..

Thank you Trump!!

Google it, the liberals are squealing..

Chancellor on Brink of Second Bailout for Banks
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
April 05, 2017, 01:57:26 PM

Trump just "took a hatchet to the EPA", so we can end this sort of nonsense..

Thank you Trump!!

Google it, the liberals are squealing..

Californians are rabid bbqers, and although liberal, they despised these rules.
psychosis7

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

severe mental disorder

View Profile
April 05, 2017, 04:00:28 PM

Hail Trump! The ender of the bureaucracy over the BBQ.

He has common sense and really does want to make America better. Let's see where the country is at 4 years from now. I think he will get a second term.

BBQing is a god given right and no hater is gonna take that from us!
Challenger2015

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 05, 2017, 04:09:32 PM

because its none of governments fucking business?
Actually, the environment is everybody's business, because it affects all of us. Part of the government's job is to protect everyone from selfish, entitled adult-children who are too stupid to consider externalized costs like environmental destruction. Fuck you, fuck your water-wasting lawns, fuck your BBQs. Our children deserve better.
Actually, Mr. Green, a barbecue is a completely natural way of cooking. How is this destroying the environment? What if I decided to make a fireplace on my land and cook this way instead of using a microwave like the rest of you tree huggers?
It's funny how people like you drive a car to work every day, drink from plastic bottles and then sit in front of their computers, surrounded by wooden furniture writing this crap about environment and pollution, telling people how to live and cook their meals.
I agree with you, but add that also creates microwave radiation that harms the health of others and nature. In General, all human activity is associated with harm to the environment. He offers to kill all the people. Then just will not harm the nature.
Lancusters

Activity: 630
Merit: 263

View Profile
April 05, 2017, 09:23:49 PM

The author of this post lives in the desert and fry eggs, on stones? Barbecue is a drop in the bucket compared to vehicles, factories and power plants. It's not every day we cook a Barbecue. You say that Barbecue is the cause of global warming.
GreenBits
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 12:18:56 AM

Because the lunatic, ManBearPig-loving psychos at the EPA haven’t already waged enough war on the United States with their overreaching regulations, they now want to regulate something that is an American past-time.

No, not baseball but they’d probably come up with a reason to do so if they could.

The EPA now wants to regulate your gas grill because… pollution… or something. They’ve given a grant to the University of California to figure out how to make the pleasure of grilling turn into cooking from hell.

Objective:

To perform research and develop preventative technology that will reduce fine particulate emissions (PM2.5) from residential barbecues. This technology is intended to reduce air pollution as well as health hazards in Southern California, with potential for global application.

Expected Results:

We expect to limit the overall air pollution PM emissions from barbecuing and to alleviate some of the acute health hazards that a barbecue pit master can experience from inhalation.

http://www.thefederalistpapers.org/us/backyard-barbecues-and-smokers-in-danger-from-epa-regulators

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Not just pit masters. Restaurants will be next. The EPA is an abomination...

I understand your angst and alarm, but I don't think this is regukation.. I think they are looking to develop technologies that reduce carbon emission from grills, which are nothing compared to say, any car, but in the aim of reducing the amount of carbon where they can. The evil EPA isn't trying to get into your ribs/burgers/brisket. They just want the planet to persist, which is apparently an evil thing to some people Wink
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 12:22:43 AM

I understand your angst and alarm, but I don't think this is regukation.. I think they are looking to develop technologies that reduce carbon emission from grills, which are nothing compared to say, any car, but in the aim of reducing the amount of carbon where they can. The evil EPA isn't trying to get into your ribs/burgers/brisket. They just want the planet to persist, which is apparently an evil thing to some people Wink

You're wrong.  It is exactly the evil of excess regulation. Agency hires 1000 new heads, each is assigned to subject areas. The low lying fruit is already picked, new areas are required for regulation in minute detail. Voila, 10 new hires assigned to BBQ grill EVIL EMISSIONS.

Fuck, that's out of control crazy as far as it could get.
GreenBits
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 12:34:24 AM

You're wrong.  It is exactly the evil of excess regulation. Agency hires 1000 new heads, each is assigned to subject areas. The low lying fruit is already picked, new areas are required for regulation in minute detail. Voila, 10 new hires assigned to BBQ grill EVIL EMISSIONS.

But how would this affect the consumer? If they figured something out, it would be on the grill makers to implement it, who might pass it along to the consumer. But if they can build a better grill, and the gov already did the research for them, why shouldn't they, if they can help reduce the carbon footprint? They would only implement this if it were feasible, and it would take many years to roll out. And would overwhelmingly affect China, I feel as though they make the majority of American grills. And when you have more dudes than you need (this is all government), you get these shit projects that someone kicks out at a board meeting, and some gruny is expected to churn a report out for. It's happened to me, the dreaded feasibility report. I think this was more conjecture than threat.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 12:48:54 AM

But how would this affect the consumer? If they figured something out, it would be on the grill makers to implement it, who might pass it along to the consumer. But if they can build a better grill, and the gov already did the research for them, why shouldn't they, if they can help reduce the carbon footprint? They would only implement this if it were feasible, and it would take many years to roll out. And would overwhelmingly affect China, I feel as though they make the majority of American grills. And when you have more dudes than you need (this is all government), you get these shit projects that someone kicks out at a board meeting, and some gruny is expected to churn a report out for. It's happened to me, the dreaded feasibility report. I think this was more conjecture than threat.
Because there is NO "carbon footprint" to charcoal or wood fire.
GreenBits
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 01:41:11 AM

According to this article (I didn't dig deep) they actually do, as we rarely burn pure charcoal anymore, but those little bullshit brickets that are made of a bunch of filler. Propan isn't that bad, and surprisingly, electric grills are the worst offenders. Also, the article raised the point that obtaining actual charcoal is not the most common thing, and it usually isn't local, so the carbon footprint involved in getting it to you factors in as well.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/109524
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 01:52:04 AM

According to this article (I didn't dig deep) they actually do, as we rarely burn pure charcoal anymore, but those little bullshit brickets that are made of a bunch of filler. Propan isn't that bad, and surprisingly, electric grills are the worst offenders. Also, the article raised the point that obtaining actual charcoal is not the most common thing, and it usually isn't local, so the carbon footprint involved in getting it to you factors in as well.

bullshit.

And if you fall / fell for it, that's a different kind of problem.

You are a wannabe perverted authoritarian liberal control freak in want of a mission, and have latch onto BBQ regulation as your salvation and the purpose of your life. Your righteous task is to search the streets, sniffing for the EVIL 'QUE.

Mometaskers

Activity: 1764
Merit: 584

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 02:11:32 AM

I don't live in the US and so don't know the extent that EPA has regulated things. I felt a bit sad for them when Trump voiced his dislike for them. Coming from a country regularly battered by (increasingly stronger) typhoons, I believe we should at least do something to protect the environment, after all Earth is the only planet we got for now.

But this... this is just bordering on crazy! What's next, make people pay fart tax because they release methane (worse than CO2) into the atmosphere? (Am looking at you, ruminant vegans.)

They should go after businesses first. Those that use wood or coal ovens, have them install stuff to take the soot and whatever harmful stuff their smoke produce. If they really want to regulate backyard grilling, then just implement "grill holidays" where people are free to grill as they please. Outside that, maybe each household can have a number of "grill days" per year. Like vacation leaves, unused grill days would be exchanged for money or stuff.

Gas grill!? What an heresy!

Barbecue only with vegetable coal or wood, you just need to wait for it to turn into burning coals. Smiley

Anyone with just 10 functioning taste buds and a half broken nose will agree with that statement...

I don't want petroleum residue on my meat. Gas grills are for wimps who turned their backs on an ancient rite men has shared with every ancestor.
GreenBits
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 03:07:08 AM

bullshit.

You are a wannabe perverted authoritarian liberal control freak in want of a mission, and have latch onto BBQ regulation as your salvation and the purpose of your life. Your righteous task is to search the streets, sniffing for the EVIL 'QUE.

Bruh, if I could roam the streets, roll.up.on unsuspecting fools, and confiscate their delicious grilled and smoked meats, I would drop.everything. now. This keyboard. The mic. I don't give any fucks,  there is smoky pork, beef and chicken in need of inspection.

No I'm kidding
 I think this is overreaching, but if it is interpreted as the OP did, which is alarmist. This is one of those waste of money projects that I condemn for being a waste of money. I don't think this is Big Environment putting the screws to us.

What is hilarious though, is if you replace the carbon emissions with pot. It's a fucking plant, and motherfuckers actually will come to your crib, take your shit, and imprison you for having it. It would be like it I came and sniffed que, wrote citations, seized the meat, grill, and your house, and then arrested you.

So, if you feel the same way about the right to emit grill carbon (who really does give a fuck about this LOL) as I feel about the sweet, sweet Chiba, I certainly understand your outrage, sir Wink

AMD yes, real men burn their food over wood. This is America, dammit.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 09:16:06 PM

bullshit.

Bruh, if I could roam the streets, roll.up.on unsuspecting fools, and confiscate their delicious grilled and smoked meats, I would drop.everything. now. This keyboard. The mic. I don't give any fucks,  there is smoky pork, beef and chicken in need of inspection.

No I'm kidding
 I think this is overreaching, but if it is interpreted as the OP did, which is alarmist. This is one of those waste of money projects that I condemn for being a waste of money. I don't think this is Big Environment putting the screws to us.

What is hilarious though, is if you replace the carbon emissions with pot. It's a fucking plant, and motherfuckers actually will come to your crib, take your shit, and imprison you for having it. It would be like it I came and sniffed que, wrote citations, seized the meat, grill, and your house, and then arrested you.

So, if you feel the same way about the right to emit grill carbon (who really does give a fuck about this LOL) as I feel about the sweet, sweet Chiba, I certainly understand your outrage, sir Wink

AMD yes, real men burn their food over wood. This is America, dammit.
Well, you just need to wing it down to Texas, where with Bush and all that, yeah, well you can still find pockets of decrepit socialism, but even there the que is over wood with a definite aroma in the air of high resin content dwarf beauties...., and those bastions of Liberalama around Austin, they're likely to be packing lest Que Controllers of Boston, Philly or some other hyena state come marching in their stormtrooper outfits, with que sniffing dogs.

Thing is, the dogs never go back.
Lancusters

Merit: 263

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 09:24:31 PM

I don't live in the US and so don't know the extent that EPA has regulated things. I felt a bit sad for them when Trump voiced his dislike for them. Coming from a country regularly battered by (increasingly stronger) typhoons, I believe we should at least do something to protect the environment, after all Earth is the only planet we got for now.

But this... this is just bordering on crazy! What's next, make people pay fart tax because they release methane (worse than CO2) into the atmosphere? (Am looking at you, ruminant vegans.)

They should go after businesses first. Those that use wood or coal ovens, have them install stuff to take the soot and whatever harmful stuff their smoke produce. If they really want to regulate backyard grilling, then just implement "grill holidays" where people are free to grill as they please. Outside that, maybe each household can have a number of "grill days" per year. Like vacation leaves, unused grill days would be exchanged for money or stuff.

Gas grill!? What an heresy!

Barbecue only with vegetable coal or wood, you just need to wait for it to turn into burning coals. Smiley

Anyone with just 10 functioning taste buds and a half broken nose will agree with that statement...

I don't want petroleum residue on my meat. Gas grills are for wimps who turned their backs on an ancient rite men has shared with every ancestor.
Gas grills are not for me. The wood when burned gives the meat a special taste and aroma. The food is cooked on gas do not. Besides, BBQ is not just food, but also the process of communication. I can not imagine how you can eat the meat roasted over the gas.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 10:05:52 PM

Gas grills are not for me. The wood when burned gives the meat a special taste and aroma. The food is cooked on gas do not. Besides, BBQ is not just food, but also the process of communication. I can not imagine how you can eat the meat roasted over the gas.

Gas grills burn propane which is usually a hydrocarbon mix, but this is still the volatile end of hydrocarbons. That means it's a very pure mix of H and C atoms. I wouldn't worry about "petroleum residue."

I've cooked meat on gas grills and wood fire and took them inside, and people uniformly prefer the wood cooked fire product.

However, many vegetables don't do well with the smoke flavor. (A few do)
Lieldoryn

Merit: 272

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 10:47:37 PM

Gas grills burn propane which is usually a hydrocarbon mix, but this is still the volatile end of hydrocarbons. That means it's a very pure mix of H and C atoms. I wouldn't worry about "petroleum residue."

I've cooked meat on gas grills and wood fire and took them inside, and people uniformly prefer the wood cooked fire product.

Gas grill for me is the same as barbecue cooked in electric barbecue. For me it's not food. Besides, I like to look at the embers. This is one of the weaknesses of man.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 11:20:05 PM

Gas grill for me is the same as barbecue cooked in electric barbecue. For me it's not food. Besides, I like to look at the embers. This is one of the weaknesses of man.

I only use wood, so we're in agreement. However if I had to use a gas grill, I believe I could produce high quality meat - much superior to an electric - yet inferior to wood/charcoal.

It may interest you, that the US President Lyndon Johnson was an avid bbq guy.  His technique was rather unique.  Lay the meat right directly on coals. The layer of ash separated the meat from the fire, and cannot be tasted.  lol have fun!

http://www.esquire.com/food-drink/food/recipes/a15084/grill-steak-on-charcoal-072612/
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: