Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:42:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it a scam? Fake accounts and vouches?  (Read 1131 times)
Skyenet (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 10:42:35 PM

I don't want to post names or anything but its starting to seem suspicious.

There is a user here offering services and for some reason there are people posting vouches (ALL of them are newbie accounts). He is a jr. account himself.

Basically all these new accounts are saying they send $1k+ worth to him. Its starting to look suspicious..and he has 12+ pages

also with so many vouches but no valid trust feedback on him?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xetsr
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 10:49:27 PM

Accepting escrow? If not, I would probably stay away. Feedback only from a bunch of newbie accounts claiming to have sent large amounts of money doesn't sound right.

Post the profile link Wink
Skyenet (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 10:59:45 PM

Accepting escrow? If not, I would probably stay away. Feedback only from a bunch of newbie accounts claiming to have sent large amounts of money doesn't sound right.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=949013.0
EcuaMobi
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1468

https://Ecua.Mobi

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2015, 11:02:53 PM

This looks somewhat fishy, however as far as I see he's using escrow including OgNasty so everything should be fine.
I wouldn't recommend dealing with him without escrow no matter how many untrusted positive feedback he gets.

The Bitman

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 11:11:42 PM

Looks like a fishy situation for sure. With the amount of guys around here that rip others off though, I wouldn't be surprised even in the slightest if this guy is trying to pull a fast one on people. It seems to be the "norm" around these forums as of late.
erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2015, 10:15:08 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=949013.0

But then people have recommended this user to other members who are looking out to buy Amazon Gift cards. He also has a post in the Services section that helps members to buy at 25% discount from the said website: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=949013.0

abyrnes81

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 18, 2015, 10:17:47 AM

I suggest to stay away from this user, or at least use an escrow when you will trade with him. The feedback in the thread seem artificial and not truthful.
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2015, 01:45:45 PM

I didnt check the thread nor the user but even if he offers to use an escrow, escrow wont help you at all. If the owner of a voucher contacts the company the voucher is from, claims that his voucher was stolen then the money from the voucher will taken back. The buyer sits on the loss and the escrow cant do anything about it.

The only way that an escrow could help would be to find out how long the voucher seller could claim a voucher stolen. If the escrow funds, from a trusted escrow, are given to the seller only after that time, then you are safe.

So if you have doubts then better stay away. Only invest or buy if you are pretty sure that it will go fine.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
EcuaMobi
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1468

https://Ecua.Mobi

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2015, 01:51:00 PM

I didnt check the thread nor the user but even if he offers to use an escrow, escrow wont help you at all. If the owner of a voucher contacts the company the voucher is from, claims that his voucher was stolen then the money from the voucher will taken back. The buyer sits on the loss and the escrow cant do anything about it.

The only way that an escrow could help would be to find out how long the voucher seller could claim a voucher stolen. If the escrow funds, from a trusted escrow, are given to the seller only after that time, then you are safe.

So if you have doubts then better stay away. Only invest or buy if you are pretty sure that it will go fine.

But he's offering to buy the items directly, he's not giving vouchers.
Buyers should ask the escrow to hold the payment until the good arrives and is checked by them.
The only problem I see is the seller may be laundering money or something else illegal. Probably still not a good idea to deal with him.

Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
March 18, 2015, 02:05:16 PM

If I had to guess I would say that it is most likely that people are creating new accounts via tor or a VPN because they know amazonu is probably using carded credit cards in one way or another.
erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2015, 04:06:56 PM

If I had to guess I would say that it is most likely that people are creating new accounts via tor or a VPN because they know amazonu is probably using carded credit cards in one way or another.

Even if he uses carded credit cards, Amazon would get to know the same sooner or later and in any case, he isn't selling gift cards but instead taking BTC from members and buying goods for them from Amazon.com for 25% off.

A quote from his post: Like the title says I am ready to offer you a 25% discount on all the items listed for sale at Amazon with free shipping inside the US.

Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
March 18, 2015, 04:14:40 PM

Even if he uses carded credit cards, Amazon would get to know the same sooner or later and in any case, he isn't selling gift cards but instead taking BTC from members and buying goods for them from Amazon.com for 25% off.

A quote from his post: Like the title says I am ready to offer you a 25% discount on all the items listed for sale at Amazon with free shipping inside the US.
Well I am sure that if he is using carded credit cards that he is using multiple cards and multiple accounts (and multiple billing addresses) so it will be difficult to catch him by order alone if he is buying things for other people.

I am sure he is using various VPNs or various SOCKS5 proxy's as well.

But law enforcement will likely eventually catch on and look into the accounts that purchase from him so people are not going to want to use their real account to buy from him in order to maintain some level of plausible deniability
AT101ET
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1348

View Profile
March 18, 2015, 04:41:34 PM

Even if a scammer claims to accept Escrow, they often send a fake address/PM asking you to send the funds to the fake Escrow address. It's not a common practice but scammers and getting more desperate and are starting to use this more frequently.
In other words, always beware and be cautious!
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2015, 11:47:29 AM

But he's offering to buy the items directly, he's not giving vouchers.
Buyers should ask the escrow to hold the payment until the good arrives and is checked by them.
The only problem I see is the seller may be laundering money or something else illegal. Probably still not a good idea to deal with him.

I see. I misread the Thread Starting Post as he selling vouchers for amazon.  Roll Eyes

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: