Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:54:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 [172] 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 ... 1348 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICMINER: Entering the Future of ASIC Mining by Inventing It  (Read 3916314 times)
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 04:18:17 AM

AM has an obligation to shareholders to maximize profits by mining at whichever pool is the fastest and most reliable.  Right now, that's BTC Guild.

AM has only begun their roll-out/ramp-up process.  They need to use Guild as a benchmark for testing and optimization, before introducing more variables into the equation.

AM should not lose focus and drift away from their core competencies by messing about with P2Pool or homegrown solutions.  Look at CoinLab to see why...   Cheesy

Would it be a win-win for BTC Guild to share their code and and other details with ASICMINER to set up something as reliable for AM use?  With the slight modification that any guest can publicly see the hashrate from the miners (All AM in this case) -- this preserves the need for transparency, and relieves the pressure that BTC Guild is feeling when it is approaching 50% of total hashing power.

For craps sake... Just threaten btcguild with leaving unless they charge less. Not rocket science.
I am also amazed a company can design an asic but cannot setup a pool to mine at and even let others join for lower variance.
Well, the major reason why AM mined at an independent pool is to prove their hashing speed. If AM mined at their own pool, people can accuse friedcat of artificially inflating their hashrates by changing the site.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 04:21:31 AM

AM has an obligation to shareholders to maximize profits by mining at whichever pool is the fastest and most reliable.  Right now, that's BTC Guild.

AM has only begun their roll-out/ramp-up process.  They need to use Guild as a benchmark for testing and optimization, before introducing more variables into the equation.

AM should not lose focus and drift away from their core competencies by messing about with P2Pool or homegrown solutions.  Look at CoinLab to see why...   Cheesy

Would it be a win-win for BTC Guild to share their code and and other details with ASICMINER to set up something as reliable for AM use?  With the slight modification that any guest can publicly see the hashrate from the miners (All AM in this case) -- this preserves the need for transparency, and relieves the pressure that BTC Guild is feeling when it is approaching 50% of total hashing power.

For craps sake... Just threaten btcguild with leaving unless they charge less. Not rocket science.
I am also amazed a company can design an asic but cannot setup a pool to mine at and even let others join for lower variance.
Well, the major reason why AM mined at an independent pool is to prove their hashing speed. If AM mined at their own pool, people can accuse friedcat of artificially inflating their hashrates by changing the site.

So u trust him enough to send ur btc but not to be honest enough to pay out proper divs?
And dont you mean deflate hash rate and skim from the top?
Anyway, you guys are losing min 3% which has added up to an amazing sum now. No reason for it. Tell btcguild 1% max or u leave.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 04:25:53 AM

So u trust him enough to send ur btc but not to be honest enough to pay out proper divs?
And dont you mean deflate hash rate and skim from the top?
Anyway, you guys are losing min 3% which has added up to an amazing sum now. No reason for it. Tell btcguild 1% max or u leave.
Inflate, not deflate. People had qualms during AM's earlier deployments about the viability of their miners - mining at a public pool will instantly crush such claims. I trust friedcat here, but probably BTCGuild is the only pool strong enough to handle huge mining hashrates. I agree that friedcat should negotiate for better rates though.
rudrigorc2
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 06:31:31 AM

AM has an obligation to shareholders to maximize profits by mining at whichever pool is the fastest and most reliable.  Right now, that's BTC Guild.

AM has only begun their roll-out/ramp-up process.  They need to use Guild as a benchmark for testing and optimization, before introducing more variables into the equation.

AM should not lose focus and drift away from their core competencies by messing about with P2Pool or homegrown solutions.  Look at CoinLab to see why...   Cheesy

Would it be a win-win for BTC Guild to share their code and and other details with ASICMINER to set up something as reliable for AM use?  With the slight modification that any guest can publicly see the hashrate from the miners (All AM in this case) -- this preserves the need for transparency, and relieves the pressure that BTC Guild is feeling when it is approaching 50% of total hashing power.

well this only confirms that the told hashrate by friedcat operator and what is shown on btcguild is the same... the told hash can be anything we choose to believe cause we trust him.  asicminer own pool would be fantastic or reduction in fees.
not that im not satisfied with dividends, but isnt 5% in fees more or less like btcguild owning 20.000 shares ?

Activity: 264
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 08:01:12 AM

AM has an obligation to shareholders to maximize profits by mining at whichever pool is the fastest and most reliable.  Right now, that's BTC Guild.

AM has only begun their roll-out/ramp-up process.  They need to use Guild as a benchmark for testing and optimization, before introducing more variables into the equation.

AM should not lose focus and drift away from their core competencies by messing about with P2Pool or homegrown solutions.  Look at CoinLab to see why...   Cheesy

Would it be a win-win for BTC Guild to share their code and and other details with ASICMINER to set up something as reliable for AM use?  With the slight modification that any guest can publicly see the hashrate from the miners (All AM in this case) -- this preserves the need for transparency, and relieves the pressure that BTC Guild is feeling when it is approaching 50% of total hashing power.

well this only confirms that the told hashrate by friedcat operator and what is shown on btcguild is the same... the told hash can be anything we choose to believe cause we trust him.  asicminer own pool would be fantastic or reduction in fees.
not that im not satisfied with dividends, but isnt 5% in fees more or less like btcguild owning 20.000 shares ?

How did you come up with 5% Fees?

1. It's 3% Fees
2. TX-Fees are payed out
3. Very realiable mining possible

So do your math again please.

Donatioins always welcome Wink
LTC: LL2UDTbQNx9UiP37ZzJ4CLQDWm6JPgZG8t
zeocrash

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 02:17:18 PM

I was just wondering if someone could explain why the price of the ASICs is so high.
People are paying the same price as an avalon batch 3 for something that's only 1/6 of the power.
Also apparently BFL jalapenos will be shipping in the next couple of weeks which have half the hashing power but cost like 20-30x less.

Is it just that ASICMiner are the only company with Asics ready to go now (Avalon having sold out and BFL doing their usual).

Don't get me wrong, i'm only too pleased people are paying so much for the asics, the price of my ASICminer-PT stock has shot up. I'm just curious as to why
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 02:18:43 PM

I was just wondering if someone could explain why the price of the ASICs is so high.
People are paying the same price as an avalon batch 3 for something that's only 1/6 of the power.
Also apparently BFL jalapenos will be shipping in the next couple of weeks which have half the hashing power but cost like 20-30x less.

Is it just that ASICMiner are the only company with Asics ready to go now (Avalon having sold out and BFL doing their usual).

Don't get me wrong, i'm only too pleased people are paying so much for the asics, the price of my ASICminer-PT stock has shot up. I'm just curious as to why

People are sick of waiting for their ASICS and having BFL stringing them along for so long.
hammurabi

Activity: 223
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 02:27:39 PM

Having the very first and legendary ASICs as trophy is the key to understanding Smiley
And this trophy is unique in the way that it will most likely pay for itself.

BTC:    1Hpk4rWpP3gACJhXHn8VkeNp4usdQmfuVY
LTC:    LM5p7X9dTsWj14G2VQeJKuntVUc6GsPnDp
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1011

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 02:29:44 PM

People are sick of waiting for their ASICS and having BFL stringing them along for so long.
As the saying goes Incompetence is tantamount to fraud.    So when there is so much "fraud" or incompetence going on in asics, it only make sense that people pay a premium for something that is actually real.

SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2013, 02:33:17 PM

Avalons sold cheaper but later they sold for a multiple of that price on ebay. So avalon lost income. Asicminer doesnt want this so they auction it from the start.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
nebulus

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

... it only gets better...

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 02:44:17 PM

People just want to do business with AM. I think its a good thing.

rudrigorc2
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 03:25:01 PM

How did you come up with 5% Fees?

1. It's 3% Fees
2. TX-Fees are payed out
3. Very realiable mining possible

So do your math again please.

You are correct we are not on PPS!  I appreciate you warned me about this.
I know we are supporting one of the most reliable pools, but as the thing gets big and big, solo mining sounds good too, , and with this hashrate variance sould not be a problem and imagine all the good luck we can get, at least a better deal regarding fees, like others said above.
ex-trader

Activity: 298

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 04:30:29 PM

The bigger ASICMiner gets the less variance it will have in earnings, therefore the less value being part of a pool provides, other than in terms of making the true production rate visible.

There is only one statistic that truly matters above all else and that is share of global hashrate. It doesn't matter what the actual difficulty level is provided that pool share can be maintained. That should be a big factor in how they decide between selling/operating any units that are produced.
JimiQ84

Activity: 406

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 04:36:25 PM

The bigger ASICMiner gets the less variance it will have in earnings, therefore the less value being part of a pool provides, other than in terms of making the true production rate visible.

There is only one statistic that truly matters above all else and that is share of global hashrate. It doesn't matter what the actual difficulty level is provided that pool share can be maintained. That should be a big factor in how they decide between selling/operating any units that are produced.

That's true. Actually, when AM deploys rest of batch 1, it's gonna be bigger than any pool except BTC Guild. So... what variance? It's gonna have smaller variance than pools!
velacreations

Activity: 476

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 04:53:48 PM

looks like share price is dropping back down...  Grin

people selling while they can.

wtfvanity

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

WTF???

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 04:58:27 PM

looks like share price is dropping back down...  Grin

people selling while they can.

Already sold Cheesy

Might be the only time I've ever timed this crap right. Make up for some sdice losses.

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
ex-trader

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 05:09:08 PM

Here's the simple maths of valuing ASICMiner:

There are 10Mn BTC unmined approximately.
ASIC Miner have 400,000 shares.
If ASIC Miner could mine 10% of all coins forever, then they mine 1Mn BTC for a total of 2.5 BTC/share (ie 1Mn/400k)
Assuming that an investor wanted a positive net return then they'd pay less than 2.5BTC to buy that income stream, probably nearer 1BTC, for a roughly 25% IRR over the long holding period.

The question therefore is what hash-share can ASICMiner hit and maintain, if they can go well over 10% then they're a good buy.

Note all the above is very simple, since it excludes running costs for ASICMiner (incl electricity), but also excludes other sources of income such as fees and profits from selling devices.
Minor Miner
Legendary

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 05:18:41 PM

Here's the simple maths of valuing ASICMiner:

There are 10Mn BTC unmined approximately.
ASIC Miner have 400,000 shares.
If ASIC Miner could mine 10% of all coins forever, then they mine 1Mn BTC for a total of 2.5 BTC/share (ie 1Mn/400k)
Assuming that an investor wanted a positive net return then they'd pay less than 2.5BTC to buy that income stream, probably nearer 1BTC, for a roughly 25% IRR over the long holding period.

The question therefore is what hash-share can ASICMiner hit and maintain, if they can go well over 10% then they're a good buy.

Note all the above is very simple, since it excludes running costs for ASICMiner (incl electricity), but also excludes other sources of income such as fees and profits from selling devices.
and what if they kept 30% of the mining share? 

ex-trader

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 05:31:57 PM

Then it's be worth at least 3BTC per share right now.

From the above you can also see that the theoretical value is capped at 5BTC on the basis of a max 50% share.

Of course if there's another use for ASICs, like mining another coin, or selling the computational power to another type of user (military/commercial/financial) then there's more upside.
Minor Miner
Legendary

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 05:40:14 PM

Then it's be worth at least 3BTC per share right now.

From the above you can also see that the theoretical value is capped at 5BTC on the basis of a max 50% share.

Of course if there's another use for ASICs, like mining another coin, or selling the computational power to another type of user (military/commercial/financial) then there's more upside.
and what if they sold 50TH at 7BTC per GH?

Pages: « 1 ... 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 [172] 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 ... 1348 »
  Print  

Jump to: