Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:25:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PSA WARNING: Current Scam Running on IRC  (Read 1851 times)
kenel (OP)

Activity: 578
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 02:55:45 PM

Happened to Digitalcoin, Bittrex, and a few other coins from what I can follow so far.

Someone, or some group, is making the rounds on IRC with variations of trusted coin community members nicks and contacting people asking for coins (to pump, for some project, etc.) as a loan for a few hours.

In our specific case, someone used kenei (with capital i instead of L) to fraudulently obtain crypto property under false pretenses from our channel members (in arial font they look identical).

This is a Class H felony in the United States.

The funds are deposited directly to a Bittrex account, sold immediately for BTC and withdrawn before anyone realizes this is a scam. Bittrex seems unable to help us but is aware of the situation.

As a warning, I'd like to make sure everyone is (a) aware that this scam is going on, and (b) that members of our Digitalcoin Foundation will NEVER ask for any coins from any person as a loan

Be careful out there....it's easy to get caught up in this if you aren't paying attention. Verify before sending or doing anything. These people seem to know exactly who to impersonate and exactly who to contact that would be trustful of whom they are impersonating. They are even likely idling in your channel right now.

Not sure what else I can do other than warn people of this. Let me know if anyone has any ideas -- I take this personally as it was my name used in this fraudulent scheme.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
iGotSpots
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1054

CPU Web Mining 🕸️ on webmining.io

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2015, 03:38:16 PM

They have several fake names of me as MonkeyTooth, as well. They already got several thousand MMXIV and others. Also posting virus links in quotes with changed wallet links

kenel (OP)

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 03:53:03 PM

If this has happened to you, I suggest grouping some simple variations of your nicks so that they can be released immediately should it happen again.
RandomBTCinvestor

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 04:51:45 PM

Happened to Digitalcoin, Bittrex, and a few other coins from what I can follow so far.

Someone, or some group, is making the rounds on IRC with variations of trusted coin community members nicks and contacting people asking for coins (to pump, for some project, etc.) as a loan for a few hours.

In our specific case, someone used kenei (with capital i instead of L) to fraudulently obtain crypto property under false pretenses from our channel members (in arial font they look identical).

The funds are deposited directly to a Bittrex account, sold immediately for BTC and withdrawn before anyone realizes this is a scam. Bittrex seems unable to help us but is aware of the situation.

As a warning, I'd like to make sure everyone is (a) aware that this scam is going on, and (b) that members of our Digitalcoin Foundation will NEVER ask for any coins from any person as a loan

Be careful out there....it's easy to get caught up in this if you aren't paying attention. Verify before sending or doing anything. These people seem to know exactly who to impersonate and exactly who to contact that would be trustful of whom they are impersonating. They are even likely idling in your channel right now.

Not sure what else I can do other than warn people of this. Let me know if anyone has any ideas -- I take this personally as it was my name used in this fraudulent scheme.

Yep thanks for this thread, happened too in #ShadowCash
KingCaper

Activity: 597
Merit: 506

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2015, 05:00:55 PM

They seem to try this or a variation on it in every big crypto irc channel I go in. Hard to believe it actually works on people.

MOIN Developer : BTT Thread  |  PGP: https://keybase.io/kingcaper
techbytes
Legendary

Activity: 1694

Point. Click. Blockchain

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 05:29:55 PM

Even a slight variations of your nick can go unnoticed.  Like the one below.  The additional character in the end can be taken as a spec of dust on the screen.  Someone just tried that in #digitalcoin but was busted because we are very well aware of the ongoing scam.  And also because the one he tries to scam have very little DGC to give.

techbytes`

This is indeed a good thread to get more people aware of what's going on.  I registered the different variations as kenel suggested.

-tb-

kenel (OP)

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 07:37:37 PM

After grouping, make sure to set enforce on so that nickserv will boot them from the name if they don't enter the password in X time. Just had a kenei scammer get booted to guest6604 and even as guest still attempted to pretend to be me.
iGotSpots
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2015, 09:27:22 PM

MonkeyTooth' and MoonkeyTooth are NOT me

kenel (OP)

View Profile
March 20, 2015, 01:02:22 AM

'kenel , kenel_ , in fact any variation of kenel outside of kenel (with an L) is not me.
SimonTower

Activity: 473

View Profile
March 20, 2015, 01:24:24 AM

Thanks for opened this topic. As You know, I was the "victim" of kenei. Luckily I was paying attention and spoke with Digitalcoin's community to warning them.
As I can see that was a good idea because that person/group working at else channels too.

Digitalcoin bring the perfect cryptocurrency and defend your wealth!   Grin
kenel (OP)

View Profile
March 20, 2015, 02:22:37 AM

Thanks for opened this topic. As You know, I was the "victim" of kenei. Luckily I was paying attention and spoke with Digitalcoin's community to warning them.
As I can see that was a good idea because that person/group working at else channels too.

Digitalcoin bring the perfect cryptocurrency and defend your wealth!   Grin

The unfortunate thing is that it's going to keep happening....hopefully we can raise enough awareness that it won't be profitable to do anymore Smiley
jasemoney
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1008

Forget-about-it

View Profile
March 20, 2015, 02:41:21 AM

theyve been in a bunch of channels, #uro, #sapience, #darkcoin they usually are signed in on freenode. someone idles in the channel then they join from another ip address to talk off channel for whatever. 
Best practice it to assume anyone wanting off exchange trades is going to scam you, even if they bring in their trusted escrow. (just another ip address)  also make sure to check who your talking to WHOIS

$MAID & $BTC other than that some short hodls and some long held garbage.
iGotSpots
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2015, 03:57:10 AM

theyve been in a bunch of channels, #uro, #sapience, #darkcoin they usually are signed in on freenode. someone idles in the channel then they join from another ip address to talk off channel for whatever.  
Best practice it to assume anyone wanting off exchange trades is going to scam you, even if they bring in their trusted escrow. (just another ip address)  also make sure to check who your talking to WHOIS

#MMXIV too trying to get MMXIV, BALLS, and 10k. Happy to compare IP logs to figure out where all our overlaps are

jasemoney
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1008

Forget-about-it

View Profile
March 20, 2015, 05:25:56 AM

Best practice it to assume anyone wanting off exchange trades is going to scam you, even if they bring in their trusted escrow. (just another ip address)  also make sure to check who your talking to WHOIS

#MMXIV too trying to get MMXIV, BALLS, and 10k. Happy to compare IP logs to figure out where all our overlaps are

I banned these from #uro though seems they're stale. (the whole blocks)
94.242.239.*  
192.240.99.*  
212.7.218.*
141.255.162.*

$MAID & $BTC other than that some short hodls and some long held garbage.
kenel (OP)

View Profile
March 20, 2015, 02:42:40 PM

The last IP was able to trace ended up here -- resolves to a privatelayer server: 141.255.162.187
kenel (OP)

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 09:37:49 PM

This is still going on, hope everyone has made everyone else in their channels aware.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: