Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 10:00:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Have you had your bitcointalk account stolen and returned by the admins of the forum?  (Voting closed: June 16, 2015, 09:16:27 PM)
Yes it was returned - 4 (57.1%)
No it was not returned - 2 (28.6%)
In process of getting it back(Signed message to Theymos) - 1 (14.3%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcointalk Account Hacked and Return by Admins  (Read 897 times)
tidus1097 (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 252

View Profile
March 18, 2015, 09:16:27 PM

Just out of curiousity, and you can remain hidden if you chose, but who on this forum has had their Bitcointalk account stolen and the admins get it back? I've only heard hearsay about 1 person. IronMarvel I do believe was their name. I am highly curious as to why I see all these stolen accounts and lots of information proving that they were stolen, and they never get returned. I added a poll to the thread so you can just answer the poll and leave, you don't have to post any comments unless you want to.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
March 18, 2015, 09:19:08 PM

Just out of curiousity, and you can remain hidden if you chose, but who on this forum has had their Bitcointalk account stolen and the admins get it back? I've only heard hearsay about 1 person. IronMarvel I do believe was their name. I am highly curious as to why I see all these stolen accounts and lots of information proving that they were stolen, and they never get returned. I added a poll to the thread so you can just answer the poll and leave, you don't have to post any comments unless you want to.

Its pretty simple, the Admins aren't going to return an account unless they can prove 100% that they are the original owner. If they sign a message from a Bitcoin address that they used in the past, that pretty much clears it up. If they have emails with pms, that is pretty inconclusive.
tidus1097 (OP)

View Profile
March 18, 2015, 09:22:29 PM
Last edit: March 18, 2015, 09:32:38 PM by tidus1097

Its pretty simple, the Admins aren't going to return an account unless they can prove 100% that they are the original owner. If they sign a message from a Bitcoin address that they used in the past, that pretty much clears it up. If they have emails with pms, that is pretty inconclusive.

Yeah I know. But I have a account that has been proven hacked/stolen, have proof that it was, signed a message to Theymos, and nada for over a month now. That's the point of this thread, basically to see if I'm all alone in this, or is this a ongoing occurance. I do understand that Theymos has a life and other stuff to do. But don't that responsibility fall on him whether he's got other things on his agenda or not? The threads say it does, but I've yet to see it done personally. I know with what I'm seeing in Meta that Theymos is OVERWHELMED WITH STOLEN ACCOUNTS RIGHT NOW, and am not "harshly" criticizing Theymos none. I do think though when the new forum comes into play he will relieve himself from this duty. I can't say that I blame him either. Not 1 bit.

I'll post this just for reference as well. My account "convicted2008" was stolen on February 11th. They attempted to get a loan with Quickseller with it. They was nothing special about the account, it was just a full member account.

Links to related stolen account threads:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=985555.0  <---This one is where the proof is that I was hacked and my account stole.
                                                       https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=952735.0  <---This is the thread I started when my account was stolen.

botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 12:24:56 AM

Here is a post which was made by Theymos yesterday about a restored account.

It was, but I restored it to the original owner a while ago.
peligro

Activity: 593
Merit: 500

1NoBanksLuJPXf8Sc831fPqjrRpkQPKkEA

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 08:41:18 AM

LOBSTER got his account back. In the period when it was stuck, he was posting with a new account which was merged immediately increasing his rank to Hero.

I think he is banned now.
Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 09:39:18 AM

Mousepotato got her account hacked and was sold by Subud! (claimed to have bought it for 1 BTC) and then sold the account to a user named escrow.pm for 1.2 BTC, who claimed he was only going to use the account to serve as escrow for traders. Yeah I'm sure that would have worked out great. Anyway, she didn't have any publicly posted BTC address that she could have signed, but since I know her IRL, I vouched that her account did indeed get hacked. Based upon that and perhaps a bit of a war with Goat over 400+ BTC she was owed, Theymos was able restore her account and the PMs that the hacker wiped. PMs that she needed to prove that Goat did indeed owe her a fair bit of BTC.

BTW, I just posted a thread here in Meta for staking your Bitcoin address so that in the event where your account gets hacked, you could simply sign the address you posted in that thread to prove that you are the owner of said account:

Stake your Bitcoin address here

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2015, 10:35:02 AM

Mousepotato got her account hacked

She hasn't been online since 8th March. Is she okay? Taking a vocation?

and was sold by Subud! (claimed to have bought it for 1 BTC) and then sold the account to a user named escrow.pm for 1.2 BTC
 =snip=

Is E.exchanger alt of Subud!? The risked amount in the trust feedback is coincidence? It was put after ~19 days but just a doubt.

tidus1097 (OP)

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 12:32:24 PM

Mousepotato got her account hacked and was sold by Subud! (claimed to have bought it for 1 BTC) and then sold the account to a user named escrow.pm for 1.2 BTC, who claimed he was only going to use the account to serve as escrow for traders. Yeah I'm sure that would have worked out great. Anyway, she didn't have any publicly posted BTC address that she could have signed, but since I know her IRL, I vouched that her account did indeed get hacked. Based upon that and perhaps a bit of a war with Goat over 400+ BTC she was owed, Theymos was able restore her account and the PMs that the hacker wiped. PMs that she needed to prove that Goat did indeed owe her a fair bit of BTC.

BTW, I just posted a thread here in Meta for staking your Bitcoin address so that in the event where your account gets hacked, you could simply sign the address you posted in that thread to prove that you are the owner of said account:

Stake your Bitcoin address here

Thats a excellent idea Tomatocage. I will do that in just a little bit. Thanks for making that thread as well. I'm sure the public, I know I do, really appreciates it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: