Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 07:04:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ELECTsUM panic, need help asap  (Read 1057 times)
electsumissues (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 20, 2015, 10:27:21 PM

Okay guys so I'm new here but I'm in need of desperate help. I downloaded ELECTsUM on my phone thinking it was different than what it was. I was assuming you could send coins after receiving them there. Anyways so here's what's going on and I have no idea what to do. So I created a set of ELECTsUM wallets or whatever you want to call them. For the master public key I entered the public key that is generated by my GPG Keychain, which is my public key as far as I understand. It then generated 15 wallets, and I transferred my BTC to one of those wallets, but I cannot do any withdrawing on ELECTsUM? It says it is paired with Electrum so I'm thinking I somehow need to gain access to that wallet on Electrum? So I thought I would do this by clicking on new/restore and entering the same master public key that I did on ELECTsUM. But when I copy and paste the block of text that is my key, the 'next' button remains gray and I cannot click it? Can someone please lend a helping hand here?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
btchris

Activity: 672
Merit: 504

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2015, 01:59:53 AM

TL;DR - you're probably out of luck....

I downloaded ELECTsUM on my phone thinking it was different than what it was.

To anyone else reading this: ELECTsUM is apparently a watching-only Electrum 1.x compatible wallet for iOS; I don't own any iOS devices and have never tried it.

For the master public key I entered the public key that is generated by my GPG Keychain

I'm very confused. I can't think of any way GPG could export anything that looks remotely like an Electrum 1.x master public key, so I can't figure out how you managed to do this....

It then generated 15 wallets

I assume you mean addresses (not that this matters)?

the 'next' button [inside the real Electrum client] remains gray and I cannot click it?

Whatever it is you're pasting in, if you got it from GPG, it's surely not a valid Electrum master public key -- that's why the button remains gray. If ELECTsUM accepted what you pasted in as a master public key, then that sounds like a (pretty egregious) bug in ELECTsUM.

Can someone please lend a helping hand here?

Regardless of all of the above, if you didn't get a master public key from the official Electrum client, any funds you sent to the addresses displayed inside ELECTsUM are likely lost forever Sad

Edited to add: and if ELECTsUM accepts as input something that isn't at least in the right format of an Electrum 1.x master public key (128 hex digits), then shame on ELECTsUM! Angry
dabura667

Activity: 475
Merit: 252

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 03:57:52 AM

GPG pubkey and the Electrum pubkey are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT in format.

ELECTsUM must not check for the correct format, and somehow is generating a weird wallet... don't know how.

Contact the ELECTsUM developers and ask how the MPK is derived when an incorrect format is input.

Maybe they generate the master private key from the hash of the test if it's incorrect or something, you'll never know unless you ask them.

My Tip Address:
1DXcHTJS2DJ3xDoxw22wCt11FeAsgfzdBU
electsumissues (OP)

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 04:07:47 AM

Well I just exported my PGP public key from GPG Keychain to a text edit document and then copy and pasted it in the master public key box in ELECTsUM. Yeah for some reason it accepted the gigantic wall of text that is my public key as a master public key. And yes it generated 15 addresses so I transferred directly from LBC to one of the generated addresses.

At this point I had not even brought up Electrum on my computer because I was under the impression ELECTsUM was basically a mobile Electrum. And once I saw my $400 in the ELECTsUM wallet and noticing that I could not transfer it out of the wallet, I became worried. So I opened up Electrum finally when I got home (I was doing this at work), and tried to select where you create new/import and use my PGP public key thinking it would generate the same set of wallets. Well it wouldn't let me use the PGP public key as a master public key on Electrum. So this is when I got worried and flustered.

After a lot of unsuccessful attempts at a bunch of random shit, I realized I was probably fucked. So yeah, the BTC are definitely just rotting in cyberspace right now. The only thing I have is the BTC address of where they are, but that's not gonna get me shit. It was my fault for being a little to hasty and not sitting down and really looking into it as this was my first time using Electrum, but I've been messing with BTC for 3 years now.

But also fuck ELECTsUM for allowing me to use my PGP public key. Oh and best part about it, now when I try and enter my public key in as a master public key on ELECTsUM, it gives me 'blockchain data unavailable, try again later'. And all of the addresses that it generated just say 'undefined'.

This is all I have to look at and cry. https://blockchain.info/address/1NAWzw88R2hhaPsUcmVRe4cEoDK7LxxkTQ
btchris

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2015, 04:27:18 AM

It was my fault for being a little to hasty and not sitting down and really looking into it as this was my first time using Electrum

There's some truth to that, but...

But also fuck ELECTsUM for allowing me to use my PGP public key.

I couldn't agree more, that's some shoddy coding that allowed this. My condolences....
electsumissues (OP)

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 04:30:05 AM

Did you click on the blockchain and look at those poor coins sitting all by their lonesome with no one to spend them?  Cry  It's only roughly $400. But also... it's fucking $400.
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 05:04:50 AM
Last edit: March 21, 2015, 05:19:40 AM by Blazr

What you are supposed to do is create the electrum wallet on your computer, then go to Wallet > export master public keys and enter that into whatever software you plan to use as a watch only. If you entered anything else then your BTC are gone.

This app ELECTsUM also seems sketchy.

btchris

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2015, 05:05:44 AM

I generated a QRcode of my Electrum wallet, and scanned the QRcode PublicKey with my iPhone - and the iPhone ELECTsUM app took it.  It did generate 15 BTC addresses with it.  However, none of them are in my Electrum wallet... and the BTC balance in the iPhone app remains at zero!  This app has all the red flags associated with a scam...

Good catch, and good point.... it'd be trivial to code up a closed-source app that produced a list of addresses (potentially different for each phone) whose keys are exclusively controlled by the app's dev.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: