Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 11:50:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum wallet updating best practices?  (Read 3175 times)
m3110w (OP)

Activity: 94
Merit: 11

View Profile
March 20, 2015, 12:00:58 PM

Hi All,

Newbie here. I've got the Electrum ver 1.9.8 btc wallet installed on my Win7 laptop. What is the best practice for keeping it updated? Do I just check for and download and install the latest version every month or so? Is there some way I can get automatically notified when a new version of the Electrum Win wallet is ready for download?

Should I uninstall the old wallet before installing a new version?

(I will do multiple local and remote backups of my wallet before doing any installs or upgrades.)

Thanks for helping a newbie,

Advait

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mishax1
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1017

View Profile
March 20, 2015, 07:47:18 PM
Last edit: March 21, 2015, 07:30:47 AM by mishax1

Hi All,

Newbie here. I've got the Electrum ver 1.9.8 btc wallet installed on my Win7 laptop. What is the best practice for keeping it updated? Do I just check for and download and install the latest version every month or so? Is there some way I can get automatically notified when a new version of the Electrum Win wallet is ready for download?

(I will do multiple local and remote backups of my wallet before doing any installs or upgrades.)

Thanks for helping a newbie,

Advait

Don't worry about these kind of things with mainstream wallets like electrum... some people/miner are still using old bitcoin-qt clients and it is fine.

Just keep your private keys backup safe and update your wallet whenever you feel its time..  Wink
btchris

Activity: 672
Merit: 504

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2015, 02:47:03 AM

Don't worry about these kind of things with mainstream wallets like electrum... some people/miner are still using old bitcoin-qt clients and it is fine.

I take it you're not in IT Wink

Keeping software (especially security, financial, and web-browsing related) up to date is very important if you don't want to get infected or hacked (and lose your funds). Running old versions of Bitcoin QT isn't "fine", some versions had major bugs: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Common_Vulnerabilities_and_Exposures.

Is there some way I can get automatically notified when a new version of the Electrum Win wallet is ready for download?

I'm not aware of any built-in way inside the Electrum software, but there is a workaround.

1. Sign up for a GitHub account if you don't already have one.
2. Visit gh-release-watch.com, click Login with GitHub, and authorize gh-release-watch.com to view the email address in your GitHub account.
3. In the Watch field, type in this, and then toggle the Not Watching button to Watching: spesmilo/electrum
4. Make sure a valid email address has been set.

Note: I've never actually used this service before, so I've no idea if it's reliable or not....

It's not necessary, but it doesn't hurt either.

That's always a good idea, but it also shouldn't be necessary. The only thing to be aware of is that Electrum 2.x will upgrade your wallet format. In order to downgrade to a 1.x version (not that you ever should need to), you'll either need to restore your wallet from it's seed or use a backup from before you upgrade.

Side note: if you do remote backups, be sure you've got a strong password on the wallet, or use a zero-knowledge backup provider such as SpiderOak (and a strong password with them).
mishax1
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1017

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 07:43:30 AM

Keeping software (especially security, financial, and web-browsing related) up to date is very important if you don't want to get infected or hacked (and lose your funds). Running old versions of Bitcoin QT isn't "fine", some versions had major bugs: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Common_Vulnerabilities_and_Exposures.

He already knows he need to periodically update his client and pc, that should be enough for a regular user..
m3110w (OP)

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 10:40:09 AM

He already knows he need to periodically update his client and pc, that should be enough for a regular user..

I made myself a treminder to check for updates once a month. It seems like that will be sufficient. In general I like to keep my software up to date so I have the latest security updates. Thanks.

Any way to mark a thread as "solved"?
btchris

Activity: 672
Merit: 504

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2015, 01:05:36 PM

Towards the bottom left of the page there's a "lock topic" link you can use if you like (only visible to the OP and to Admins).
m3110w (OP)

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 01:28:07 PM

Towards the bottom left of the page there's a "lock topic" link you can use if you like (only visible to the OP and to Admins).

Ahhh... That's it. OK, thanks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: