Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 11:52:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Leave btc in Change address? Or move it to regular address?  (Read 1852 times)
m3110w (OP)

Activity: 94
Merit: 11

View Profile
March 20, 2015, 11:53:23 AM

Hi All,

I'm a bitcoin newbie. I've got the Electrum btc wallet ver 1.9.8 installed on my Win7 laptop. One of the "Change" addresses has about 0.5btc. And one of the "Receiving" addresses has about 1.5btc.

Should I move the Change btc to another address?

Is there some way to combine all my Electrum btc into one address? Should I try to do this? Or doesn't matter?

If I try to send someone my total account value (2btc) will the send be successful? Or will it fail because my btc is spread between different addresses?

Thanks for helping a newbie,

Advait

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Tachikoma

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2015, 12:14:22 PM

There is no need to move the funds from a change address. If you want to send 2 BTC it will pull it from all available addresses.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks | Bytesized Seedboxes BTC/LTC supported
m3110w (OP)

View Profile
March 20, 2015, 12:49:45 PM

There is no need to move the funds from a change address. If you want to send 2 BTC it will pull it from all available addresses.

Perfect. That makes it pretty easy. Thanks for helping a newbie.  Smiley
twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2015, 01:29:36 PM

You can also change the settings to not use change address, so when you send bitcoins the change will be sent back to the original address. For ex. Your address xxxxx has 1 bitcoin, you send 0.5 to someone, if you deny the change address in the settings, the 0.5 will be sent back to the address you sent from xxxxx and not to change address yyyyy.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
m3110w (OP)

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 03:11:54 AM

You can also change the settings to not use change address, so when you send bitcoins the change will be sent back to the original address. For ex. Your address xxxxx has 1 bitcoin, you send 0.5 to someone, if you deny the change address in the settings, the 0.5 will be sent back to the address you sent from xxxxx and not to change address yyyyy.

OK, thanks for the info. I turned off the change address in my wallet. Is there any advantage to using Change Addresses?

Thanks,
dabura667

Activity: 475
Merit: 252

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 03:47:23 AM

OK, thanks for the info. I turned off the change address in my wallet. Is there any advantage to using Change Addresses?

Thanks,
Not using the same address over and over is a huge plus for privacy.

Disabling change addresses means that bitcoin sent from address "1ABC..." will ALWAYS send change to "1ABC..." only.

So I can 100% certainly know your entire balance whenever I want.

If you send to a new address each time, I can guess. I can maybe guess with a high amount of certainty, but I will never know 100% that the second address in the transaction is yours.

My Tip Address:
1DXcHTJS2DJ3xDoxw22wCt11FeAsgfzdBU
m3110w (OP)

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 10:30:20 AM

OK, thanks for the info. I turned off the change address in my wallet. Is there any advantage to using Change Addresses? Thanks,
Not using the same address over and over is a huge plus for privacy.
Disabling change addresses means that bitcoin sent from address "1ABC..." will ALWAYS send change to "1ABC..." only.
So I can 100% certainly know your entire balance whenever I want.
If you send to a new address each time, I can guess. I can maybe guess with a high amount of certainty, but I will never know 100% that the second address in the transaction is yours.

OK, thanks. Privacy is good so I turned the change address back on. Now I understand more clearly about using different address to receive. I'll do that.

Hmmm... There's *lots* of subtle layers to this crypto currecy world. I'm kind of geeky so I really like learning this stuff. But I'm sure the vast majority of regular people would have no patience to learn all the required technical details. And I'm guessing lots of smart people are now working hard to figure out how to make it easier for regular people.

Cheers,
emrebey

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 05:39:20 PM
Last edit: March 24, 2015, 06:34:53 AM by emrebey

it's not just about privacy, if you're a security freak look at this discussion on stack exchange.

edit: fixed the link.
m3110w (OP)

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 03:07:39 AM

it's not just about privacy, if you're a security freak look at this discussion on stack exchange.

Thanks for the link. Wow, that's a whole other level of geekery. I got the gist of it but not all the technical details. It seems the bottom line is use a reputable deterministic seed wallet (like Electrum), back it up regularly, keep the seed *very* safe, and I should be fine. Sound correct?

Cheers,
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: