Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 10:18:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Representative Mark Warden Utilizing Bitcoin for Campaign Donations  (Read 11889 times)
evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 08:26:47 PM

Mark Warden is releasing this press release in New Hampshire...

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Representative Mark Warden Utilizing Bitcoin for Campaign Donations

Goffstown, New Hampshire - August 11, 2012 - State Representative Mark Warden recently added a Bitcoin donation system to his campaign website (www.markwarden.com), the first state representative in New Hampshire to utilize this emerging technology. According to Warden, Bitcoin will allow online transactions without the need for any third-party approval.

“This is a cutting-edge technology that is market based, voluntary, and extremely innovative. I have constituents and vendors who prefer this medium of exchange, so it’s natural to want to respond to the marketplace,” said Warden.

Bitcoin allows users to make transactions with an alternative, decentralized form of currency that is not subject to the inflationary whims of the Federal Reserve or other central banks. Mark Warden is a Republican State Representative running for re-election in Hillsborough County’s District 39, encompassing the towns of Goffstown, Weare, and Deering.

[note: you can donate to him at this address: 1B39L3wqnbVpRa9oHMWY2F6FsZJJAgJQX6  ]

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ben-abuya

Activity: 323
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2012, 08:36:04 PM

This is awesome! I've heard of one or two candidates trying this before, but Mark is a current State Rep and will probably get re-elected. This is a really exciting development.

http://www.markwarden.com/page/contribute-campaign

http://lamassubtc.com/
Lamassu Bitcoin Ventures
unclescrooge
aka Raphy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 08:51:12 PM

awesome Smiley
waspoza

Activity: 602
Merit: 508

Firstbits: 1waspoza

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 09:05:42 PM

I live in EU and i hate politicians, but i will send the guy some coins. Looks like hes smart (cuz he clearly understands bitcoin) and have balls. Smiley
niooron

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 09:14:44 PM

State law requires us to request the following information from people who donate $100 or more (cumulatively) to the campaign: Name, employer, city/town where employed.

So what happens if someone donates more than 10 bitcoins?
P4man

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 09:16:44 PM

I also wonder about the legal implications of this. Like, is it legal for him to accept foreign donations?

giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2012, 09:17:11 PM

State law requires us to request the following information from people who donate $100 or more (cumulatively) to the campaign: Name, employer, city/town where employed.

So what happens if someone donates more than 10 bitcoins?

I just wanted to ask the same question. Will he return it to sender? What if I send 5 now and 5 later? Aka what if the total BTC donated exceeds 10BTC?

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
ShireSilver

Activity: 382
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2012, 09:21:18 PM

It almost certainly isn't legal for him to accept donations from foreigners, but how is anyone going to know?

If you do donate more than $100 worth, you should include your name, employer, and city/town as directed. Of course that can't readily be enforced, but since his donation address is public his opponents could check it for large donations that don't get disclosed. (In other words, if you are going to donate a lot or are foreign, donate it in small chunks from varying addresses.)

Knowing Mark (a really good guy), any donations he cannot legally use and can't figure out how to return would get donated to worthy causes.

Shire Silver, a better bullion that fits in your wallet. Get some, now accepting bitcoin!
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 11:20:33 PM

This is great ... and not the least because it has potential for serious lulz written all over it.

What happens if he gets some of Bitcoinica's stolen loot or god forbid an anon. donation from a Silk Road dealer, Pirate Bay, or etc?

Cheesy

proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 12:14:08 AM

Wow!

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 12:17:47 AM

A small step for a poltician, a huge leap for the mankind. I wonder about the legal implications. How are donations usually collected in the US at the state level? Can I just drop some cash in a box, or is there always some paperwork involved?

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2012, 12:30:50 AM

Bitcoin is too much of a pain for him to use, I fear. I think he will realize soon that anyone can vet his donations and demand an account of all those who donated more than the set limit. He may not even realize if someone (possibly an adversary) sends in too much...and if he doesn't notice, any Joe Schmoe can prove he violated campaign funding laws.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2012, 12:37:45 AM

He could set up a 'generate me a new donation address' button thing if he wanted to be a little safer. I'm interested to see what if anything anyone does anyway though. What are his opponents like?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2012, 12:49:13 AM

He could set up a 'generate me a new donation address' button thing if he wanted to be a little safer. I'm interested to see what if anything anyone does anyway though. What are his opponents like?

+1 that is wise. And ask his donators to not reuse the same donation addresses.

Some of the sites accepting Bitcoin donations on the thread below have utilized the single address for all donations approach...I looked at the block chain for a few of them...no one has gotten much by way of Bitcoin donations...the biggest I saw was 700 or so.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
btctraderr

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 01:41:43 AM

I'm not a US citizen or resident but I'll donate a few BTC- hope this widens bitcoins exposure.
ydenys

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 02:15:02 AM

Well, pretty horrible site/photos, but he’ll get some of my coins for this move despite being a politician. ( below $100 at the moment of donation Smiley )
subject

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 03:33:18 AM

It looks like someone just donated 100BTC

https://blockchain.info/address/1B39L3wqnbVpRa9oHMWY2F6FsZJJAgJQX6
hxtop

Activity: 1071

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 03:48:58 AM

that wonderful news for everyone!
good work!
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2012, 03:52:17 AM

This is great news even though I dont support politicians  Smiley

Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 04:20:15 AM

He may not even realize if someone (possibly an adversary) sends in too much...and if he doesn't notice, any Joe Schmoe can prove he violated campaign funding laws.

This was one of the first things I thought of.  His opponents may not even have to contribute much if any if he got enough donations that way.
And if he gets elected they could bring it up as an issue if it was expedient for them...
and didn't Chuck Schumer declare Bitcoin to be something close to evil last year?     Wink

It could potentially be enough of scandal to get some interesting main stream news coverage, which is perhaps why a lot of you
bitcoiners, who perhaps feel any public attention is good attention, are tossing a coin or 2 into the pot.   Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: