Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:49:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Block files, database files, and other stuff  (Read 3243 times)
kongming208 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 05, 2010, 10:43:54 PM

Hi,

Sorry if this is a FAQ, but I didn't find the answer after a few searches.

I'm currently running bitcoin on one machine, and I see in my data directory:

./addr.dat
./blk0001.dat
./blkindex.dat
./database/log.0000000017
./__db.001
./__db.002
./__db.003
./__db.004
./__db.005
./__db.006
./db.log
./debug.log
./.lock
./wallet.dat

If I wanted to run bitcoin on multiple machines on my LAN, and I wanted to copy the block chain so that it doesn't have to re-download, which files do I need to copy? I'm guessing
./blk0001.dat
./blkindex.dat
are necessary, but what about
./__db.001
./__db.002
./__db.003
./__db.004
./__db.005
./__db.006

And the ./database/log.0000000017, db.log, debug.log, and other files don't need to be copied, yes?

Thanks for any help!
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 05, 2010, 11:05:30 PM

If I wanted to run bitcoin on multiple machines on my LAN, and I wanted to copy the block chain so that it doesn't have to re-download, which files do I need to copy? I'm guessing
./blk0001.dat
./blkindex.dat
are necessary, but what about

I've actually copied the blockchain before, and the two above files were all that I needed to get it to work.  I'm pretty sure that the others are checkpointing files, and it's not a bad idea to let the new client checkpoint the entire blockchain after a copy anyway.

I'm not certain, however, as that client was a while ago, and predates the checkpointing upon startup thing.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
BitLex

Activity: 532
Merit: 505

View Profile
November 06, 2010, 12:12:18 AM

i copy blockchains back and forth quite often and don't copy anything else than those 2 files, blk0001.dat & blkindex.dat, never bothered with anything else.
works fine for me so far, so i guess it's alright.
i think (and please correct me if i'm worng) anything else is client-related anyway and your gonna use the copy for another client, which has/creates its own keys/hashes and DB.

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12972

View Profile
November 06, 2010, 12:21:58 AM

The other files are journaling files used for database recovery after a computer/Bitcoin crash. You can delete them if you're sure the database is not in an inconsistent state.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
thedrs

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 07:50:21 PM

this should be in the FAQ...
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2011, 08:18:02 AM

this should be in the FAQ...
If only the FAQ was a wiki that anybody could edit, then thedrs could add it him or herself...

(hey, wait a minute!  it IS a wiki!)

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: