Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 04:10:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If Pirate Runs: The Danger of one entity with 500K BTC  (Read 11449 times)
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 05:00:28 PM

^^^
Word. Bitcoin truly need to be stress tested. Pirate is doing us all a favour.
This is true in many ways. Stress-testing the system, teaching lessons (some paid high tuition fees, though)...

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lupus_Yonderboy

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 05:47:10 PM

What do you mean if he runs? Actually he won't need to run, he can stay right where he is, drop offline, and retire. There isn't one single f'n thing any of you can do about it either. This is the free market in all its glory. No regulations, no accountability, no recourse when you get fucked in the ass without any lube. Pirate will get away with this scot free. There will be all the hand wringing, all the apologists, and all the blaming of the victims. But in the end, it all comes down to there being zero accountability in this "free" market. If there is no punishment for theft, then there is no deterrent. Nobody has ever been prosecuted for a Bitcoin theft, and they never will be. So thieves and con men will continue to operate and win every single time. Pirate used the core greed that most people on this site have, and he used it to great effect. Nobody ever went broke underestimating the greed of Bitcoiners. In fact, a lot of people have gotten rich off of it.

So, how much have you contributed to Pirate's retirement fund?
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 05:55:48 PM

If there is no punishment for theft, then there is no deterrent.

It is to be proven that there will be no punishment. For this boatload of money I would not be surprised if some big lender will decide to hire some bad asses on the Black Market Reloaded to get Pirate and slice him with a chainsaw until he pays back.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 05:57:14 PM

Still hypothetically,  Wink  I hope the bitcoin community has considered the very real danger posed by an individual in control of 500K of BTC. Sure there are accounts with balances almost as high but what is to prevent Pirate or anyone else with so much BTC from cyclically crashing the market and buying up more coins?

Some might say that someone with so many coins wouldn't destroy the market as they are so invested in it, but what happens if their Buy/Sell cycle doesn't destroy bitcoin in the long run, but they are just taking a wager that they can pull it off enough times while bitcoin is small enough and then quit misbehaving when it's bigger?

Even if you can't regularly do $15 to $8, even 1-2$ in change often enough could eventually give you monopolistic power over the bitcoin system.

For bitcoin's sake- I hope Pirate Returns the money, and the community stays away from such "financial innovation" in the future, even if it's not a ponzi.

So you're saying... he'll sell $1 of Bitcoin, sending the price down, then buy $1 of Bitcoin, sending the price up... and then he'll profit from that over and over?

Interesting business idea. Let me know how it goes.

There is zero danger of having one entity with 500k coins. The WORST outcome is if that person dumped all coins instantly. It would crash the price. Then what would happen? People like myself would buy up the cheap coins, the price would find some new stabilization level, and the "grave danger" would be gone. Someone with that many coins can crash the price, but only once. Problems solved.

It's a non issue.
Timbert33

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 06:00:56 PM

What do you mean if he runs? Actually he won't need to run, he can stay right where he is, drop offline, and retire. There isn't one single f'n thing any of you can do about it either. This is the free market in all its glory. No regulations, no accountability, no recourse when you get fucked in the ass without any lube. Pirate will get away with this scot free. There will be all the hand wringing, all the apologists, and all the blaming of the victims. But in the end, it all comes down to there being zero accountability in this "free" market. If there is no punishment for theft, then there is no deterrent. Nobody has ever been prosecuted for a Bitcoin theft, and they never will be. So thieves and con men will continue to operate and win every single time. Pirate used the core greed that most people on this site have, and he used it to great effect. Nobody ever went broke underestimating the greed of Bitcoiners. In fact, a lot of people have gotten rich off of it.

So, how much have you contributed to Pirate's retirement fund?

$0. Nothing wrong with blaming the victims in this case. They are the fucktards that allowed themselves to be taken advantage of. 7% weekly interest rate is IMPOSSIBLE in any legitimate business no matter what. With the possible exception of a very SHORT TERM loan to sell drugs, or something like that. Regardless, it would not amount to millions of dollars and ridiculous interest rates over an extended period because you would pay back that interest and the loan to get full ownership of your business back ASAP so that you were making all the profit off of it. Thieves and con men won't win if people aren't morons, they'll just waste their time.
the_thing

Activity: 546
Merit: 252

Proof-of-Stake Blockchain Network

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 06:02:39 PM

If it can be killed someone will do it eventually, so might as well be now, we'll be better off. If not it will just prove that it's stronger than people think.

Do you really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and tell lies?

Oh god I laughed so hard. Everybody lies, even in real life.
Now I don't know if you understood the irony in my post.
I meant to say that pirate saying he has 500k is not a proof that it's true.

,gaaaaaaaagaaaaaaaaaaaaagaaaaaaaag,
           ,aP8b    _,dYba,       ,adPb,_    d8Ya,
         ,aP"  Yb_,dP"   "Yba, ,adP"   "Yb,_dP  "Ya,
       ,aP"    _88"         )888(         "88_    "Ya,
     ,aP"   _,dP"Yb      ,adP"8"Yba,      dP"Yb,_   "Ya,
   ,aPYb _,dP8    Yb  ,adP"   8   "Yba,  dP    8Yb,_ dPYa,
 ,aP"  YdP" dP     YbdP"      8      "YbdP     Yb "YbP  "Ya,
I8aaaaaa8aaa8baaaaaa88aaaaaaaa8aaaaaaaa88aaaaaad8aaa8aaaaaa8I
`Yb,   d8a, Ya      d8b,      8      ,d8b      aP ,a8b   ,dP'
  "Yb,dP "Ya "8,   dI "Yb,    8    ,dP" Ib   ,8" aP" Yb,dP"
    "Y8,   "YaI8, ,8'   "Yb,  8  ,dP"   `8, ,8IaP"   ,8P"
      "Yb,   `"Y8ad'      "Yb,8,dP"      `ba8P"'   ,dP"
        "Yb,    `"8,        "Y8P"        ,8"'    ,dP"
          "Yb,    `8,         8         ,8'    ,dP"
            "Yb,   `Ya        8        aP'   ,dP"
              "Yb,   "8,      8      ,8"   ,dP"
                "Yb,  `8,     8     ,8'  ,dP"   
                  "Yb, `Ya    8    aP' ,dP"     
                    "Yb, "8,  8  ,8" ,dP"
                      "Yb,`8, 8 ,8',dP"
                        "Yb,Ya8aP,dP"
                          "Y88888P"
                            "Y8P"
                              "       

Free TON

PEER-TO-PEER MULTY-BLOCKCHAIN SYSTEM
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬.
▬▬▬TON SURF - OFFICIAL WALLET.

▄███████████████████▄
        █████████████████████
▄█████  █████████████████████
██████  ████             ████
███     █████████████████████
██████  █████████████████████
███████ ▀███████████████████▀
▀███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄       ▀████
  ████▌                 ██ 
  ▐██▌                     
   █▌

TELEGRAM
FORUM
WIKI
the_thing

Activity: 546
Merit: 252

Proof-of-Stake Blockchain Network

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 06:06:03 PM

Nothing wrong with blaming the victims in this case. They are the fucktards that allowed themselves to be taken advantage of. (...) Thieves and con men won't win if people aren't morons, they'll just waste their time.

THIS! Million fucking times THIS!
The best way to improve Bitcoin is to eradicate stupidity among its users.

,gaaaaaaaagaaaaaaaaaaaaagaaaaaaaag,
           ,aP8b    _,dYba,       ,adPb,_    d8Ya,
         ,aP"  Yb_,dP"   "Yba, ,adP"   "Yb,_dP  "Ya,
       ,aP"    _88"         )888(         "88_    "Ya,
     ,aP"   _,dP"Yb      ,adP"8"Yba,      dP"Yb,_   "Ya,
   ,aPYb _,dP8    Yb  ,adP"   8   "Yba,  dP    8Yb,_ dPYa,
 ,aP"  YdP" dP     YbdP"      8      "YbdP     Yb "YbP  "Ya,
I8aaaaaa8aaa8baaaaaa88aaaaaaaa8aaaaaaaa88aaaaaad8aaa8aaaaaa8I
`Yb,   d8a, Ya      d8b,      8      ,d8b      aP ,a8b   ,dP'
  "Yb,dP "Ya "8,   dI "Yb,    8    ,dP" Ib   ,8" aP" Yb,dP"
    "Y8,   "YaI8, ,8'   "Yb,  8  ,dP"   `8, ,8IaP"   ,8P"
      "Yb,   `"Y8ad'      "Yb,8,dP"      `ba8P"'   ,dP"
        "Yb,    `"8,        "Y8P"        ,8"'    ,dP"
          "Yb,    `8,         8         ,8'    ,dP"
            "Yb,   `Ya        8        aP'   ,dP"
              "Yb,   "8,      8      ,8"   ,dP"
                "Yb,  `8,     8     ,8'  ,dP"   
                  "Yb, `Ya    8    aP' ,dP"     
                    "Yb, "8,  8  ,8" ,dP"
                      "Yb,`8, 8 ,8',dP"
                        "Yb,Ya8aP,dP"
                          "Y88888P"
                            "Y8P"
                              "       

Free TON

PEER-TO-PEER MULTY-BLOCKCHAIN SYSTEM
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬.
▬▬▬TON SURF - OFFICIAL WALLET.

▄███████████████████▄
        █████████████████████
▄█████  █████████████████████
██████  █████████████████████
███████ ▀███████████████████▀
▀███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄       ▀████
  ████▌                 ██ 
  ▐██▌                     
   █▌

TELEGRAM
FORUM
WIKI
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 06:09:23 PM

If it seems to good to be true, then it probably is. But I think it would be harder to get away with than some are saying. I suppose that some people have thousands in this scheme/investment opportunity. Knowing that bitcoiners are more tech savy than most and more self starting, it might be bad for his health to run. After all, isn't BTC the perfect choice for hiring a hit man?

But he hasn't run yet, or done anything wrong yet.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 06:21:15 PM

If he runs we're going to find out how quickly he can be found with a 500K BTC price tag on his head, and when he is, will he still have the head?

I wonder, what is the effective price tag on the other famous pirate in the bitcoin ecosystem? Prob much higher than 5M USD.

Considering that said pirate is still cheerfully going about his business after a whole year of being declared public enemy by a US Senator, I doubt that "our" pirate will be found any time soon.

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
dbox

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 06:31:28 PM

Is there any room for some consipracy theories? Cheesy Maybe pirate is not one person...

Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 07:13:21 PM

If he runs we're going to find out how quickly he can be found with a 500K BTC price tag on his head, and when he is, will he still have the head?

I wonder, what is the effective price tag on the other famous pirate in the bitcoin ecosystem? Prob much higher than 5M USD.

Considering that said pirate is still cheerfully going about his business after a whole year of being declared public enemy by a US Senator, I doubt that "our" pirate will be found any time soon.

Has it ever accurred to you, that the two pirates may in fact be one?
Timbert33

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 07:20:12 PM

Has it ever accurred to you, that the two pirates may in fact be one?

Highly doubtful.
Le Happy Merchant

Activity: 634
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 07:35:05 PM

If pirate returns part upfront, and lets the big players dump the price down to 4-5 or lower, he could scoop in with the profits he supposedly made in the last few days, and buy the coins he just released control over for a fraction of the price they were while he held them.

This way, he initially doesn't look like a scammer, but can become one after he has bought a good deal of the coins back for cheap, and refuses to pay back the other investors.

The price would react to the withheld coins by spiking back upwards to double digits as people buy up the 'cheap' coins and panic over the unreleased wealth.

Thats what I would do if I was a scammer and in pirates position, the question remains though, is he a scammer?

Andrew Vorobyov

Activity: 558

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 07:37:48 PM

Nothing wrong with blaming the victims in this case. They are the fucktards that allowed themselves to be taken advantage of. (...) Thieves and con men won't win if people aren't morons, they'll just waste their time.

THIS! Million fucking times THIS!
The best way to improve Bitcoin is to eradicate stupidity among its users.

Natural selection... Darwin... etc..
Le Happy Merchant

Activity: 634

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 07:47:23 PM

If it can be killed someone will do it eventually, so might as well be now, we'll be better off. If not it will just prove that it's stronger than people think.

Do you really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and tell lies?

Oh god I laughed so hard. Everybody lies, even in real life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWdD206eSv0&feature=player_detailpage#t=2s

stick_theman

Activity: 372
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 08:29:31 PM

Run, Pirate, Runnn!!!
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 08:59:28 PM

Run, Pirate, Runnn!!!

Yes run! That way people in my betting thread will win big!

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=101751

DublinBrian

Activity: 197
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 09:59:32 PM

It will cost him money because he will have to bear all the costs of manipulating the market himself and he will have to share the profits with anyone who chooses to follow along for the ride.

While he's pushing the price down to induce a panic sell, others are buying his Bitcoins for less than they are worth medium-term.  And then he has to compete with everyone else to buy any Bitcoins that are sold in panic as the market quickly rises.

While he's pushing the price up to sell above fair market value, others are selling him Bitcoins for more than they are worth medium-term. And then he has to compete with everyone else to sell Bitcoins at above fair market value to people who think the rise is real as the market quickly falls.

So long as there people who are anywhere close to equal to him in size in total, he will lose money every time he tries to manipulate the market. He can make Bitcoins unstable, but it will cost him to do it. People who have learned this lesson the hard way include Nelson Bunker Hunt and Allan A. Ryan.
+1
epbaha

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 10:07:28 PM

btw, where's the confirmation that he controls 500k BTC?

[2012-08-17 16:15:10] <boonies4u> pirateat40: will you be daytrading with your own funds after this?
[2012-08-17 16:16:15] <pirateat40> boonies4u, Yes I hold personally over 30k BTC
[2012-08-17 16:16:45] <Azelphur> pirateat40: is that your personal or the total funds of BS&T?
[2012-08-17 16:17:57] <pirateat40> Azelphur, personally.  BST is over 500k BTC

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=101339.msg1111794#msg1111794

Pirate claims he has 500k BTC.  However, if pirate were a good scammer, he would claim that he actually owns more bitcoins than he actually holds.  Large investors are more willing to invest when they think they're are other large investors.

I speculate that Pirate owns a lot of coins but no where near 500k.

finkleshnorts

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 10:50:43 PM

500k "paper" coins because of all the compounded interest. I'd bet he has far fewer coins on the blockchain than that.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: