Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 10:03:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BitMe now accepting new payment methods (Direct Deposit, wires, cash deposits)  (Read 4799 times)
freewil (OP)

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 09:03:13 AM
Last edit: August 30, 2012, 09:30:13 AM by freewil

I am proud and excited to announce that BitMe is now accepting several new payment methods in addition to AurumXchange VouchX:

• Direct Deposit to your bank account
  • Cash Deposit
  • Wire Transfer - US
  • Wire Transfer - International

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HDSolar

Activity: 386
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2012, 03:40:25 AM

I am proud and excited to announce that BitMe is now accepting several new payment methods in addition to AurumXchange VouchX:

• Direct Deposit to your bank account
  • Cash Deposit
  • Wire Transfer - US
  • Wire Transfer - International

So not to be a dick but why would I come here to your site?  You put a short post and then say, come on down and invest your money?  After bitfloor and a few other recent efforts I will check your site out but until I see more going on no bitcoins will be going in.

Thanks for the effort but the bar has been raised for folks asking to trust me with your bitcoins on my website gig.

Get paid to be social and visit HypeWizard today!  www.hypewiz.com
AR-15 80% at www.uspatriotarmory.com
my Cryptanalys.is profile
freewil (OP)

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 06:54:58 AM

Thanks for the effort but the bar has been raised for folks asking to trust me with your bitcoins on my website gig.

Great, you should be skeptical. It's hard to reply to this as you haven't raised any specific concerns. I will say there isn't any cheap VPS hosting here and you won't find a large irreplaceable hot wallet as you would with Bitfloor.

I have seen considerable new interest in the site since adding these new payment methods. I have laid out why you should use BitMe on the homepage and am trying to be reasonably transparent with a security and disclosure policy. I encourage you to read through our Terms of Use and Security Policy.
zhalox

Activity: 176
Merit: 106

XMR = BTC in 2010. Rise chikun.

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 10:53:06 PM

Can you post a phone number or an "About" page on the site so we can know more about those with whom we choose to conduct business for the first time (i.e., I might create a BitMe trading account if I knew more about you).

HDSolar

Activity: 386
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2012, 03:41:01 AM

Great, you should be skeptical. It's hard to reply to this as you haven't raised any specific concerns. I will say there isn't any cheap VPS hosting here and you won't find a large irreplaceable hot wallet as you would with Bitfloor.

I have seen considerable new interest in the site since adding these new payment methods. I have laid out why you should use BitMe on the homepage and am trying to be reasonably transparent with a security and disclosure policy. I encourage you to read through our Terms of Use and Security Policy.

Well the first concern is that I see one post with very little content promoting the site.  Second I don't see allot of content here telling me the site is as a solid reason to put my coins into.  Third you list the following: "BitMe, LLC is a US-based business that was founded in April 2012 in the State of Michigan and opened for business as an open beta on July 8, 2012." so why not give us your company listing number and more information about you Limited Liability Company since you set one up, it would help us understand who we are dealing with.  Fourth, is it just you or is there a team that I know is handling this operation in an effective manner.

At the end of the day I know I am going to be doing my due diligence on all bitcoin ventures since recently we have allot folks standing up sites with not a whole lot of substance all in the attempt to get fees for their efforts.  Right now there is just not enough telling me this is a venture with allot behind it.  Also I did not list much in why I had concerns because it is not my responsibly to improve your business for free.  There are many other things I can go into but right now I have other things to do and we would need to cover my billing rates for additional business services.

Good luck

Get paid to be social and visit HypeWizard today!  www.hypewiz.com
AR-15 80% at www.uspatriotarmory.com
my Cryptanalys.is profile
freewil (OP)

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 07:19:32 PM

Can you post a phone number or an "About" page on the site so we can know more about those with whom we choose to conduct business for the first time (i.e., I might create a BitMe trading account if I knew more about you).

I have talked to several customers on the phone and have no problem in doing so. In fact, it is often a pleasant experience that allows me to learn more about my customers and their specific needs and what I can do to improve BitMe.

If you would like to talk to me on the phone (or preferably on Skype) then just shoot me an email and we can set it up. Otherwise, I prefer to use email as this is a much more efficient means to resolve most issues.
freewil (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 11:45:25 PM

Currently looking for users to supply ~50 BTC / week in liquidity (weekly deposit limit is currently 500 USD-Equivalent Value).

• 0.55% liquidity rebates available
  • Average execution price for last 30 days higher than Mt. Gox by 0.93 USD
subject

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 09:50:32 AM

I'd just like to add to the thread that I've successfully sold 10 btc on the exchange, requested and ACH, and the money is already comfortably sitting in my bank account.

Thanks for the straight forward website.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 05:11:07 AM

transparent with a security and disclosure policy.

I've submitting these questions to various exchanges.  It is BitMe's turn.  I'm specifically looking for the answer to:

- BitMe's security page describes "The great majority [of bitcions] are held offline". 

- Is there a target as to how much of customer's funds are kept in cold storage?  (e.g., percent of total, or perhaps relative to recent withdrawal requirements)?

- Do new deposits go to cold storage?  (if the hot wallet is compromised, new deposits made (e.g., automated payouts by mining pools) would still be secure)

- Does the offline wallet where the cold storage resides remain protected due to an "air gap" (no access to it electronically, not connected to the network)?

Other questions that I'ld like to know the answers to:

- Does BitMe maintain full reserve?  (i.e., BitMe controls bank accounts with all customer USD funds and controls wallets with 100% of BTC funds.  None of these amounts loaned out.)

- Does BitMe maintain offsite backups of its accounts and transactions?  If for some reason the exchange's primary account database were lost due to a security breach, what information (and how recent) is still available from backup or archives?

- If there is a security breach and BitMe cannot meet withdrawal requests of its customers, what is the withdrawal preference that BitMe would follow?  Various preferences are:

- -  A.) All deposited funds are of equal standing with bitcoins being valued at their market rate at the time of the loss,
 - -  B.) Withdrawals of USD funds, if not impacted by the breach, are made available to those customers who held a USD balance. in full.
 - -  Do customer deposits have preference over any other creditor claims?  (i.e., a contract stating so such that they don't become unsecured creditors ending up in the same pool as the landlord for office space and hosting bill.)
 - -  or is there some other approach?

- If there is a DDoS or server availability issue, where should users turn to to learn status (e.g., blog, forum thread, Twitter, etc.)?

- Does BitMe have (or plan to provide) an out-of-band communications method (e.g., e-mail to inform customers of any security issues?

- Does BitMe plan to offer two-factor authentication?  If so, will it be "done right" (as requested here: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=109424.0 where each withdrawal request requires a OTP).

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

freewil (OP)

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 06:38:56 AM

- Is there a target as to how much of customer's funds are kept in cold storage?  (e.g., percent of total, or perhaps relative to recent withdrawal requirements)?

At least 50% in cold storage is the target. This can sometimes vary depending on daily volume, deposits, and withdrawal requests. I do my best to monitor this as to not delay withdrawals and maintain the target. I think this can be vastly improved and will be looking at changing the system/policy for this soon.

- Do new deposits go to cold storage?  (if the hot wallet is compromised, new deposits made (e.g., automated payouts by mining pools) would still be secure)

I would recommend people use the GET /rest/bitcoin-address call from our API if possible to retrieve the latest deposit address for their account. This is not required though and old deposit addresses will continue to function. If the hot wallet was compromised then yes, new deposits could also be compromised since deposits do not go to cold storage. As I said in the previous response I will be looking at changing our deposit/withdrawal system/policy soon.

- Does the offline wallet where the cold storage resides remain protected due to an "air gap" (no access to it electronically, not connected to the network)?

Yes.

- Does BitMe maintain full reserve?  (i.e., BitMe controls bank accounts with all customer USD funds and controls wallets with 100% of BTC funds.  None of these amounts loaned out.)

Absolutely. 100% reserves for all USD and BTC, no shenanigans. We are not in the business of loaning out funds or leveraging up. Our business model is simple and is naturally transparent (see our fees page). As part of the business finances we maintain the assets and liabilities of all customer deposits that we temporarily hold for purposes of buying and selling Bitcoins on our balance sheet. We cannot guarantee the safety or availability of these deposits that we temporarily hold and these are not insured.

- Does BitMe maintain offsite backups of its accounts and transactions?  If for some reason the exchange's primary account database were lost due to a security breach, what information (and how recent) is still available from backup or archives?

We maintain write logs for our database that allows use to keep point-in-time backups. Currently, the write logs are encrypted and shipped to an off-site location (using write-only access without deletion permission) every 15 minutes, with a full backup being done once a day. This may change as our daily volume grows.

- If there is a security breach and BitMe cannot meet withdrawal requests of its customers, what is the withdrawal preference that BitMe would follow?  Various preferences are:

- -  A.) All deposited funds are of equal standing with bitcoins being valued at their market rate at the time of the loss,
 - -  B.) Withdrawals of USD funds, if not impacted by the breach, are made available to those customers who held a USD balance. in full.
 - -  Do customer deposits have preference over any other creditor claims?  (i.e., a contract stating so such that they don't become unsecured creditors ending up in the same pool as the landlord for office space and hosting bill.)
 - -  or is there some other approach?

I need to look further into this issue before I can answer.

- If there is a DDoS or server availability issue, where should users turn to to learn status (e.g., blog, forum thread, Twitter, etc.)?

We would post an update on both our blog (Tumblr) and Twitter, and possibly post an update on these forums. If there was a long-sustained issue then we would probably point the site to a temporary status page.

- Does BitMe have (or plan to provide) an out-of-band communications method (e.g., e-mail to inform customers of any security issues?

As part of our security policy, we have been publicly posting disclosures on our blog about issues that "cause abnormal or unintended behavior affecting users". If it was a serious security issue then those users affected would be contacted using their email address associated with their BitMe account.

- Does BitMe plan to offer two-factor authentication?  If so, will it be "done right" (as requested here: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=109424.0 where each withdrawal request requires a OTP).

Two-factor authentication is planned for the near future and will be implemented before we start accepting verified accounts with higher limits. Currently users are required to (re)enter their account password for withdrawals (except for previously linked bank accounts). This will most likely be replaced with a pin number/OTP at some point.
qxzn

Activity: 609
Merit: 505

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 05:39:29 AM

Currently looking for users to supply ~50 BTC / week in liquidity (weekly deposit limit is currently 500 USD-Equivalent Value).

That's a really low deposit limit. Is there a reason it's so low?
freewil (OP)

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 05:46:57 AM

That's a really low deposit limit. Is there a reason it's so low?

This is a project in progress... this limit is for unverified users. The limits for unverified users may change in the future, but soon we will be accepting verified users with higher limits.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 04:42:37 AM

I don't see a way to view the order book without being logged in.    I generally don't login unless I'm about to trade.  Can this be made visible to guest/unauthenticated access somehow?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

freewil (OP)

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 05:22:41 AM

I don't see a way to view the order book without being logged in.    I generally don't login unless I'm about to trade.  Can this be made visible to guest/unauthenticated access somehow?

I've received this request a few times now and have added it to the todo list - don't have any time estimate on it yet. It's publicly available through the API and at BitcoinCharts.com
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2012, 06:52:50 AM

I don't see a way to view the order book without being logged in.    I generally don't login unless I'm about to trade.  Can this be made visible to guest/unauthenticated access somehow?

Specifically http://bitcoincharts.com/markets/bitmeUSD_depth.html

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 08:30:31 PM
Last edit: October 12, 2012, 12:22:05 AM by Stephen Gornick

I don't see a way to view the order book without being logged in.    I generally don't login unless I'm about to trade.  Can this be made visible to guest/unauthenticated access somehow?

Specifically http://bitcoincharts.com/markets/bitmeUSD_depth.html

Heh, I thought the chart was broken.  Since no ask orders except for one at $1,000 the chart picks a happy medium at about $505-ish, which, of course, has no bids or asks visible.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2012, 08:56:03 PM

40 @ $12.50 ask now.

Comparing it to the dashboard, it's the same, except the bids 0.000955 and 0.0000955 aren't there for obvious reasons.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 03:26:40 AM

Just a little more than surprised to go to access BitMe and see the response:

BitMe is currently in maintenance mode, please check back later
- https://bitme.com

Then to check this forum thread and there was no mention of this.

I don't know when this went into "maintenance mode", nor why, nor see an ETA as to when the either service will be returned or when I will regain access to my funds.

I did check the blog blog but there is no mention:
 - http://bitmex.tumblr.com/

I did check Twitter and also no mention:
 - https://twitter.com/bitmexc

Whether it was scheduled or unscheduled, it still should be communicated.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2012, 04:38:00 AM

Odd. I saw that last night, it's still there or there again, then you see they have had trade history today. http://bitcoincharts.com/markets/bitmeUSD_trades.html

MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 10:45:49 PM

At first I read "BiteMe".

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: