Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 07:40:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which symbol do you like best?
฿ - 203 (42.3%)
- 35 (7.3%)
- 69 (14.4%)
Ƀ - 97 (20.2%)
¤ - 1 (0.2%)
None of the above - 75 (15.6%)
Total Voters: 476

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Official Bitcoin Unicode Character?  (Read 83805 times)
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 15, 2010, 09:39:59 PM

The first anonymous currency should be called

/b/

of course!
 Cheesy

(inside joke)

Send me some bitcoins and ill explain it further....for those who dont know. Lips sealed

I'm guessing that is the 'blink' tag in html 1.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
November 15, 2010, 10:32:58 PM
Merited by Raja_MBZ (1), cryptjh (1)

Not all currencies use a special symbol, some just use letters. For example, the South African Rand (ZAR) is just R.

Two rand and 45 cents is just R2.45.

Two bitcoins and 45 centibits could be B2.45.

Anyway, what's the plan for subdividing bitcoins? Do we go in thousands like the metric system (millibits, microbits, nanobits)?

Or do we have names for subdivisions? A hundredth of a bitcoin could be a Satoshi, a thousandth of that could be a Molyneau, and a thousandth of that could be an Austrian.
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
November 15, 2010, 10:39:59 PM

Have we arrived at any conclusion ?

A poll perhaps, somebody ?

ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
November 16, 2010, 12:40:11 PM

Or perhaps just wait until someone comes up with a solution good enough that everyone starts using it.
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
November 16, 2010, 05:40:27 PM

Or perhaps just wait until someone comes up with a solution good enough that everyone starts using it.

If somebody makes something better, another poll can be added.
People should know what is the most popular option - that will make decision easier.

BrightAnarchist
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 853
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 16, 2010, 06:02:25 PM

My only concern with the slashed-8 is that at first glance it looks a lot like slash-S $.  S and 8 are only one small line apart, and putting the line down the middle makes them look even closer.  That, and an 8 would work better for Bytecoins than Bitcoins.

Bytecoins could be bundles of 8 bitcoins . Smiley

I'll send you a couple bytecoins for a wordcoin.
eurekafag

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 17, 2010, 09:45:51 AM

So many variants. We definitely should make a poll and vote. I even can't choose one because I like both ⓑ and ᴃ.
Anonymous

November 17, 2010, 09:53:06 AM

I think the lower case "b" in a circle is perfect since bytes use a capital "B" (i.e. 23 MB) and bits use a lowercase "b" (1024 Mbps). So the lowercase "b" would be the "bit" and the circle would be a coin.  Grin

Love this. Formally you write 15 ⓑ  and informally you use 15 (b)

I like those.
da2ce7
Legendary

Activity: 1222
Merit: 1016

Live and Let Live

View Profile
November 18, 2010, 02:36:42 AM

For use in ASCII text copy.... (when the png logo is not appropriate)....  I vote for using    ฿

As in...

฿25.50

or....

BC฿25.50

If you notice on this page, http://www.xe.com/symbols.php ....the $ and the € and the £ and the ¥ ....are all used many times... by many DIFFERENT countries' currencies.   If there is any potential for confusion between the US $ and the Canadian $, we simply say, US$ or CA$.   It's simple.

Why not just reuse:    ฿   

This has been the most sensible suggestion so far.  ฿  is the natural symbol for bitcon... just like $ is used in many places also.

One off NP-Hard.
Bruce Wagner

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
November 19, 2010, 11:29:24 PM

This has been the most sensible suggestion so far.  ฿  is the natural symbol for bitcon... just like $ is used in many places also.

I agree with you 100%.  You are such a smart guy. 
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2010, 01:01:23 PM

I agree with you 100%.  You are such a smart guy. 

Agreed.  Simple.

And it's analogous to $. "S" referring to State currency.  "B" referring to digital currency.  In case people don't know the story of the origin of $, here it is: $ is derived from U crossed over an S for "United States".  Then the U slowly morphed into two verticals lines over the S.  Eventaully, only one vertical line was used.

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
FatherMcGruder

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2010, 10:21:23 PM

I prefer ⓑ ('b in a circle' for whom Unicode won't display properly). It combines the notions of bits with the lower case b and coins with the circle. Furthermore, I find it simple, distinct, and easy to write by hand. Although the Bhat symbol, ฿, is also simple and easy to write, it is neither distinct nor clever. Bitcoin deserves a trademark befitting of its characteristics.

Keep in mind, the use of such a symbol will not preclude the use of the currency code BTC.

Use my Trade Hill referral code: TH-R11519

Check out bitcoinity.org and Ripple.

Shameless display of my bitcoin address:
1Hio4bqPUZnhr2SWi4WgsnVU1ph3EkusvH
mtgox

Activity: 185
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2010, 10:43:10 PM

I like ⓑ. It looks like the bitcoin logo.
฿ isn't bad but it looks too much like $ I think. 

S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 02, 2010, 10:52:23 PM

I like ⓑ a lot.

da2ce7
Legendary

Live and Let Live

View Profile
December 03, 2010, 12:35:59 AM

The funny thing is that "BTC" has been working fine for now!  I don't even know if a symbol will ever catch ok...  Grin

One off NP-Hard.
mikegogulski

Activity: 360

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2010, 01:39:01 AM

/b/tards everywhere love ⓑ.

FREE ROSS ULBRICHT, allegedly one of the Dread Pirates Roberts of the Silk Road
da2ce7
Legendary

Live and Let Live

View Profile
December 03, 2010, 04:25:35 AM

shooh, you are being a newfag!

One off NP-Hard.
mikegogulski

Activity: 360

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2010, 06:06:40 AM

shooh, you are being a newfag!

fap fap fap

FREE ROSS ULBRICHT, allegedly one of the Dread Pirates Roberts of the Silk Road
FatherMcGruder

Activity: 322

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2010, 02:22:37 PM

On my computer running Ubuntu at home, ⓑ displays just fine. However, on my Windows computer at work, it looks like a box with "24D1" inside. The information at alanwood.net is a little confusing. Does anyone have a quick guide to get ⓑ to display properly?

Use my Trade Hill referral code: TH-R11519

Check out bitcoinity.org and Ripple.

Shameless display of my bitcoin address:
1Hio4bqPUZnhr2SWi4WgsnVU1ph3EkusvH
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2010, 03:38:09 PM

On my computer running Ubuntu at home, ⓑ displays just fine. However, on my Windows computer at work, it looks like a box with "24D1" inside.

Folks at Microsoft are square.

I'm actually liking the looks of ⓑ more than ฿.  But the deeper and more philosophical question is: why should a decentralized peer-to-peer currency have an official, centrally planned symbol?   Cheesy.  Isn't competing standards the way to go?   Wink. Shouldn't we let the market decide?   Tongue.  (if course I'm joking around...ofcourse it is important to have a standardized, commonly agreed-upon and recognized symbol).

Also, ⓑ is unique.  Anyone know of other uses of ⓑ?

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: