Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:40:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The single biggest thing that will bring Bitcoin to the mainstream in 2015  (Read 3819 times)
TheGame

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

You just lost

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 04:26:23 PM

I don't think this will be the biggest thing. I think that will be some market or industry adopting bitcoin like the remittance market or the oil industry or something. More merchants is also good.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2014, 06:15:52 PM

People getting paid in Bitcoin.

Using bitwage.co, starting in 2015 I will get 100% of my paycheck in bitcoins.

That seems a little risky don't you think considering the price flux of BTC?  Which will either drop or raise the price of goods/services you require to pay with Bitcoin?   Think about it.  Yes you can use services like Coinapult but price really needs to stabilize.  I don't think bitwage will be the thing that creates mass adoption.   There are many other problems to work out.  Just my word.

Risk brings reward. It was risky to buy an untested set of bits that was being called a currency when the price was worth less than $10 each.

Worst case scenario, the price drops to $10 within a few days...that would mean that the next paycheck I would be buying bitcoins at $10. I might have to delay some spending for 2 weeks. But I don't live paycheck to paycheck. So it really wouldn't matter for me.

If you don't live paycheck to paycheck that puts you ahead of about 85% of the rest of the world. You're very lucky. Most people would suffer without their next check. Some of them wouldn't have enough food to last a couple of weeks.

Which is sad since you can cut your spending by 10% for 5 months and you'll be one paycheck ahead (if you get paid every 2 weeks). Considering the amount of junk is under people's Christmas trees right now, they can afford to live on 10% less for a few months to get ahead.

I am glad that Bitcoin will incentivise people to save as opposed to the dollar that incentives spending as quickly as possible.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 10:02:33 PM

That seems a little risky don't you think considering the price flux of BTC?  Which will either drop or raise the price of goods/services you require to pay with Bitcoin?   Think about it.  Yes you can use services like Coinapult but price really needs to stabilize.  I don't think bitwage will be the thing that creates mass adoption.   There are many other problems to work out.  Just my word.

Risk brings reward. It was risky to buy an untested set of bits that was being called a currency when the price was worth less than $10 each.

Worst case scenario, the price drops to $10 within a few days...that would mean that the next paycheck I would be buying bitcoins at $10. I might have to delay some spending for 2 weeks. But I don't live paycheck to paycheck. So it really wouldn't matter for me.

If you don't live paycheck to paycheck that puts you ahead of about 85% of the rest of the world. You're very lucky. Most people would suffer without their next check. Some of them wouldn't have enough food to last a couple of weeks.

Which is sad since you can cut your spending by 10% for 5 months and you'll be one paycheck ahead (if you get paid every 2 weeks). Considering the amount of junk is under people's Christmas trees right now, they can afford to live on 10% less for a few months to get ahead.

I am glad that Bitcoin will incentivise people to save as opposed to the dollar that incentives spending as quickly as possible.

It is sad. People in supposedly well off countries are living at or below the poverty line. The rest of the idiots have money but spend all as soon as they get it. A few at the top have more money than they could ever spend. I hope Bitcoin can help because people need something to change.

faince222

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 11:04:20 PM

2014 was the year of big companies accepting bitcoin but converting those to fiat. 2015 will see more and more people choosing to get all or part of their paycheck in bitcoin.

There has always been a chicken and egg problem with Bitcoin. Merchants won't accept it because people don't spend it, people don't spend it because merchants don't accept it. People getting paid in bitcoin will push the spending part.

If by the end of 2015 there are 10-20,000 people getting paid in Bitcoin that is a huge steady stream of fiat to bitcoins, setting up 2016 to be huge with the halving.

2014 was the year of big companies accepting bitcoin.
2015 will be the year of people that will use bitcoin for pay product of big companies.
End of 2015 we will see a stable flow of transaction between 200-300.000
2016 will happen something of very big.
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 24, 2014, 01:49:33 AM

Am I the only person in the Bitcoin community who thinks Employers are *nowhere near* the point where they will consider revamping their payroll structures to accomodate for Bitcoin?  I mean I would expect to get laughed out of the building at any company that has more than 10 employees.  How exactly are you guys planning on pulling this off?  Businesses have structure and guidelines, and attorneys who set up exhaustive payroll processes for the company. 

What evidence do we have that any employer whatsoever is going to be interested in doing whats necessary to add this feature?  Especially when one dude in the whole building wants it because he thinks its cool ?  I think it may be a great way to put a "bug in their ear" about Bitcoin payroll, but I believe there needs to be substantial consumer demand by multiple employees before anything like this will ever be considered. 

Yet everyone's talking like its right around the corner?

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2014, 09:08:00 AM

Am I the only person in the Bitcoin community who thinks Employers are *nowhere near* the point where they will consider revamping their payroll structures to accomodate for Bitcoin?  I mean I would expect to get laughed out of the building at any company that has more than 10 employees.  How exactly are you guys planning on pulling this off?  Businesses have structure and guidelines, and attorneys who set up exhaustive payroll processes for the company. 

What evidence do we have that any employer whatsoever is going to be interested in doing whats necessary to add this feature?  Especially when one dude in the whole building wants it because he thinks its cool ?  I think it may be a great way to put a "bug in their ear" about Bitcoin payroll, but I believe there needs to be substantial consumer demand by multiple employees before anything like this will ever be considered. 

Yet everyone's talking like its right around the corner?

-B-

Did you read the OP? It is already here. My company would never pay out in Bitcoin but with bitwage.co it doesn't have to.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
jaberwock
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1073

View Profile
December 24, 2014, 09:21:22 AM

2014 was full of big things and still no mainstream acceptance.

My opinion:

Companies start to accept BTC worldwide, not only in US and/or Europe.
Companies receive directly BTC payment, not using bitpay.
BTC easier to be bought. For example, one could buy BTC in the internet bank.

Big dudes accepting bitcoin without restriction(even bigger than the current ones)

panju1
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 25, 2014, 01:05:02 AM

My paycheck is primarily used to pay last month's credit card bill.  Grin
Unless banks start accepting bitcoins, it would not be helpful if people like me were paid in Bitcoin.

Moreover, rent and utility bills have to be paid in fiat. So we would most probably dump bitcoins as soon as we receive them.
Zendikar

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 25, 2014, 03:15:20 AM

This is actually quite cool. If a large company such as Microsoft (unlikely but it could happen) decides to back this then BTC is definitely going to surge. Let's go 2015!
The Chainmaker

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 25, 2014, 03:48:07 AM

I don't see it being "the biggest thing" of next year but I do see its usefulness.

1. Part-timers who love bitcoin and have other money elsewhere might choose this.
2. Illegal aliens who don't have or a afraid to have a bank account and need an easy way to send money home.
3. Total BTC nerds.
4. People working at companies that are on that grey line of being illegal and want to protect their identity.

Basically geeks, marginalized, or those seeking more financial options.  More or less the same people that use BTC. 

When 50% of the places I shop at start to accept BTC and give me a slight discount for it, I will be happy to switch over, but the reality is I haven't ever bought even a single thing with a BTC.  In the city I live, there is not even a single place, and of the places I shop online, most of them don't accept BTC.

To me, 2015 won't be the year I get paid in BTC, but the year I bought my first thing in Bitcoin, and I consider myself an early adapter.

If it can be digitized, it should be decentralized
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
December 25, 2014, 12:27:40 PM

2014 was the year of big companies accepting bitcoin but converting those to fiat. 2015 will see more and more people choosing to get all or part of their paycheck in bitcoin.

There has always been a chicken and egg problem with Bitcoin. Merchants won't accept it because people don't spend it, people don't spend it because merchants don't accept it. People getting paid in bitcoin will push the spending part.

If by the end of 2015 there are 10-20,000 people getting paid in Bitcoin that is a huge steady stream of fiat to bitcoins, setting up 2016 to be huge with the halving.
I think a lot of people are not ready to be paid in bitcoin because of the volatility.
That is the only big drawback which demotivates people from investing into bitcoin.

Even 5-10% of your paycheck would be a good way to get started.

agree. If you plan to save your treasury in bitcoins, you just lose if you get paid in euros and then buy bitcoins is much better ( you wil get more bitcoins) if you get partly paid in BTC.
bitllionaire
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 01:32:17 PM

wow, it is really curious
could this be use as a payment method in,for example,signature campaigns?

You already get paid in bitcoin for signature campaigns.

but I mean as a way to automate and manage bitcoin payments
bornil267645

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2014, 03:36:17 AM

Well we all hope that it really does and bring good for bitcoin community.

Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2015, 11:43:10 AM

wow, it is really curious
could this be use as a payment method in,for example,signature campaigns?

You already get paid in bitcoin for signature campaigns.

but I mean as a way to automate and manage bitcoin payments

You could always write a script on your server to send out automated payments.

nextgencoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 11:47:15 AM

This will be the biggest gateway into the mainstream. Some serious seed investment has been thrown at these guys.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.getgemsmessenger.app&hl=en

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: