Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 06:01:10 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The last posting from your IP was less than 20 seconds ago. Please try again lat  (Read 6926 times)
pekv2 (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 12:59:47 AM

An Error Has Occurred!
The last posting from your IP was less than 20 seconds ago. Please try again later.

What is this and why is it happening?
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 01:19:34 AM

Happens to me on occasion.  ANNOYING!  Especially when I'm carrying on more then one PM conversation at a time.  I'm sure it is another limit of SMF similar to the 10 PM's per hour.

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 01:48:05 AM

Happens to me on occasion.  ANNOYING!  Especially when I'm carrying on more then one PM conversation at a time.  I'm sure it is another limit of SMF similar to the 10 PM's per hour.

It's correct.
PM's, replies to threads and reports to moderators all count to the 20 seconds limit.

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 04:11:49 AM

It's correct.
PM's, replies to threads and reports to moderators all count to the 20 seconds limit.

I've seen it. Only a few times and I'm all over the place with a dozen internet tabs and posts, PM's

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5236
Merit: 13089

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 04:05:15 AM

I improved this. The max time between posts now changes depending on how many posts you have. If you have more than 100 posts, you can now post more frequently than every 20 seconds. The more posts you have, the lower the time, down to a minimum of 4 seconds.

Members with few posts now have to wait up to 6 minutes between posts. Does anyone know the best way to make it so that form data is not reset when hitting the back button? I think this happens just because the forum uses HTTPS. Can this behavior be changed?

I might actually increase this minimum time between posts later and increase the number of posts allowed hourly once the form issue is figured out.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 04:26:11 AM

I improved this. The max time between posts now changes depending on how many posts you have. If you have more than 100 posts, you can now post more frequently than every 20 seconds. The more posts you have, the lower the time, down to a minimum of 4 seconds.

Members with few posts now have to wait up to 6 minutes between posts. Does anyone know the best way to make it so that form data is not reset when hitting the back button? I think this happens just because the forum uses HTTPS. Can this behavior be changed?

I might actually increase this minimum time between posts later and increase the number of posts allowed hourly once the form issue is figured out.

That is fantastic, thank you. I would think over 100 posts would be a better number though.

I'm not familiar with form data myself

repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 04:37:14 AM

When you say "form data" are you talking about the content of posts and PMs?  I use Chrome and I've never had a problem with losing content if I hit the back button.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 04:43:24 AM

When you say "form data" are you talking about the content of posts and PMs?  I use Chrome and I've never had a problem with losing content if I hit the back button.

Yeah. Form data is lost with Firefox and IE when you hit the back button. I think this is the default behavior with HTTPS sites.

repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 06:23:41 AM

Yeah. Form data is lost with Firefox and IE when you hit the back button. I think this is the default behavior with HTTPS sites.

Weird.  I do get warnings with some sites that form data will need to be re-sent and others (like my bank and some government websites) won't let me use the back button at all, but I assumed that must be server side because it only happens with some HTTPS sites. 

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 11:20:32 AM

Not on my Firefox. I still have the form data when I hit the back button. Huh
A good way to bypass it is to press F5, as it resubmits the data again without the need to go back.
Maybe a note on the error page saying to wait x seconds, press F5 and say yes when it asks if one wishes to submit the data again will do?
chmod755
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1021

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2012, 01:28:45 PM

It should be more like 1 minute. I'm pretty sure most of the posts you write in less than 20 seconds are something like "+1" or "me too"- not really worth a new post. (tbh I also made some posts like that)

makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 01:39:31 PM

The best solution is probably to not force users to hit the back button in the first place - instead display the usual comment/PM submission form with their comment already filled in and a note at the top telling them they need to wait.

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 04:41:20 PM

The best solution is probably to not force users to hit the back button in the first place - instead display the usual comment/PM submission form with their comment already filled in and a note at the top telling them they need to wait.

That would be better, but that's a bigger change.

Not on my Firefox. I still have the form data when I hit the back button. Huh

That's strange. I use the latest version of Firefox. It happens even when JavaScript is disabled, and I don't think the forum is sending any cache-control headers or anything.

deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2012, 04:45:23 PM

This likely has to do with your privacy settings. If you have specified not to save form and search data, or have disabled remembering browser history, then there should be nothing to go back to. Ideally the browser would not reveal what you were just looking at even three seconds before if you navigate away from that page.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 04:46:00 PM

This likely has to do with your privacy settings. If you have specified not to save form and search data, or have disabled remembering browser history, then there should be nothing to go back to. Ideally the browser would not reveal what you were just looking at even three seconds before if you navigate away from that page.

It works for me on other sites.

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4396
Merit: 3062

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 09:22:41 AM

I think it's just HTTPS. Firefox actually respects your privacy when using HTTPS in ways which it wouldn't normally, regardless of your privacy settings. I've seen quite a few HTTPS sites that are at least partially broken in Firefox because they expect the browser to handle private data in insecure ways.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 03:50:16 AM

theymos, I just ran into the 10 PM's per hour limit, would you update that to a larger number for people with a high amount of posts?

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078

BCJ

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 03:52:19 AM

theymos, I just ran into the 10 PM's per hour limit, would you update that to a larger number for people with a high amount of posts?

That is not possible.  It is evidently a limitation of the forum software.  many have asked.
pekv2 (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 07:22:47 AM

This is great innovation. Thanks, it will help a lot when doing deals/loans etc.

For losing data, that gets copied and stored for reasons like these, its not a hit win to solve the problem, but I use Lazurus, just a suggestion if this does not get solved. Addon is great for when you lose a large type up for a large sum of forms.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/lazarus-form-recovery/
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2012, 08:39:34 AM

It should be more like 1 minute. I'm pretty sure most of the posts you write in less than 20 seconds are something like "+1" or "me too"- not really worth a new post. (tbh I also made some posts like that)
Posting in less than 20 seconds doesn't mean writing in less than 20 seconds. When making announcements you often write the posts in advance and then post a few in rapid succession. I have very often encountered this problem.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: