Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:31:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: destroying bitcoins  (Read 5653 times)
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 12:42:11 AM

In fact most of the coins in cold wallets are almost like destroyed, they are not in circulation for a long time

The key is to remove bitcoins from exchanges, when coins on exchanges are getting less and less every day,  the value will increase for sure, and an easy way is to purchase from exchanges and spend them

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
KenR

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

「きみはこれ&#

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 04:08:04 PM

In fact most of the coins in cold wallets are almost like destroyed, they are not in circulation for a long time

The key is to remove bitcoins from exchanges, when coins on exchanges are getting less and less every day,  the value will increase for sure, and an easy way is to purchase from exchanges and spend them

Yes, I think also like it, buy as many bitcoin in the exchanger, it would be a good policy to raise back the bitcoin price

████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████
  ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████
  .WEBSITE.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  .ANN THREAD.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 04:27:36 PM

this is true only if there is interest in purchasing bitcoin, by normal people( the classic "average joe/josephine"/newbies), otherwise you can freeze as many bitcoin as you want, and the price won't rise too

interest is the real key
Mikestang
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 04:33:29 PM

Since the bitcoinprice decreased a lot last year I would like to destroy some bitcoins.
Destroying some bitcoins can have a serious positive impact on the price
If every human being could destroy 0.001 BTC we would half the amount of bitcoins in circulation, increasing the price of bitcoin in compare to other currencies.
But every satoshi could help a bit... This is the best way to support bitcoin

Derrrr, whaaaaaaaaaat?  What a screwy idea, I don't think things work quite how you think they do.  Rather than destroy btc, you can send it to me and I'll spend them.  Using btc in day to day life is a much, much better way to support bitcoin than purposefully losing coins.
manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 07:21:31 PM

this is true only if there is interest in purchasing bitcoin, by normal people( the classic "average joe/josephine"/newbies), otherwise you can freeze as many bitcoin as you want, and the price won't rise too

interest is the real key
Yeah only real money flow can make a market rise, all other techniques are only smoke mirrors and short term pumps. Mass adoption or burst.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 11:03:53 PM
Last edit: March 24, 2015, 11:51:35 PM by johnyj

interest is the real key
Yeah only real money flow can make a market rise, all other techniques are only smoke mirrors and short term pumps. Mass adoption or burst.

Consumption is real money flow. You don't need other people, with 2 million bitcoin user, each buying and spending 10 bitcoin every month, there will be 10 million coins permanently occupied in circulation thus not available for others to purchase on exchanges, and currently the coins on all of the exchanges is maximum 1 million, so the coin price must rise at least 10 times to achieve that

You might say that the interest of doing so is low. But wait a second, these 2 million bitcoin users all have certain amount of bitcoin holding, doing so will raise the value of their bitcoin holding by 10 fold, why aren't they interested?

elianite
Legendary

Activity: 1377
Merit: 1134

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2015, 06:54:12 AM

you should just throw it into the genesis block address. sacrifice to Satoshi!

New book: BLOCKLAND: 21 Stories of Bitcoin, Blockchain, and Cryptocurrency www.cryptonumist.com/blockland
Author of Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins and Crypto-Currencies. View a free sample and Buy the book at https://cryptonumist.com
To prevent hacks, DO NOT send me BTC above $300 value before first emailing coins@cryptonumist.com to confirm. Beware of scammers on Telegram/Instagram etc.
vlad12

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 08:24:43 PM

Since the bitcoinprice decreased a lot last year I would like to destroy some bitcoins.
If every human being could destroy 0.001 BTC we would half the amount of bitcoins in circulation, increasing the price of bitcoin in compare to other currencies.

The private key of this wallet is lost (on purpose) and those bitcoins will never be able to get out of this wallet (or heaven?  Cheesy )
1NCXw6rkcdfDuKRbhVhrshzHD9QQkQiVAr

People who helped destroy bitcoins to raise the btc-price:
leen93 : 10.000 satoshis

FIRST GOAL TO REACH : 100.000 satoshi

Scammy as fuck. I guarantee you with 100% certainty that YOU own that BTC address which you posted. Stop trying to scam noobs.

If you want to actually burn BTC (provably) send here: 1CounterpartyXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXUWLpVr

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Proof_of_burn

randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 12:39:02 AM

i have seen plenty of 2012 and 2013 wallets where there is no output while it has a fair amount of coins inside.
it's not possible to see if these are cold wallets or "no access" wallets.
vrm86

Activity: 676
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 10:40:23 AM

OP has just invented new way to scam people, at least quite funny  Cheesy
zetaray

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 10:51:55 AM

You can destroy 1000btc and price will not change a bit. There are thousands of bitcoin lost because of forgotten passwords and corrupted wallets. Your effort is minuscule in comparison.

.CryptoTotal.com.
                              l█████████▇▀
                              ████████▇▀
                              ███████▇▀
                              ██████▇▀
                              █████▇▀
                              ████▇▀
                              ███▇▀
                              ██▇▀
                              █▇▀
                              ▇▀
▇▇
▇▇

Express.Crypto.Checkout
Accepts Multiple Cryptos
Worldwide Shipping
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2015, 11:04:07 AM

If anyone wants to do it, the person could just send to any random address. I mean I would fancy an address with some catchy and funny names. Anyway, nice try catching some btc. If I want to do it, I would rather get the counterparty address and send whatever amount I want to.

Josef27

Activity: 784

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 11:06:13 AM

If anyone wants to do it, the person could just send to any random address. I mean I would fancy an address with some catchy and funny names. Anyway, nice try catching some btc. If I want to do it, I would rather get the counterparty address and send whatever amount I want to.
The question is, who would want to do it? Cheesy
I didn't want to destroy my own hardwork
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 12:47:52 PM

interest is the real key

Consumption is real money flow. You don't need other people, with 2 million bitcoin user, each buying and spending 10 bitcoin every month, there will be 10 million coins permanently occupied in circulation thus not available for others to purchase on exchanges, and currently the coins on all of the exchanges is maximum 1 million, so the coin price must rise at least 10 times to achieve that

You might say that the interest of doing so is low. But wait a second, these 2 million bitcoin users all have certain amount of bitcoin holding, doing so will raise the value of their bitcoin holding by 10 fold, why aren't they interested?

well i'm not talking about the interest of who own bitcoin, but from new people who will buy it, if those "new people" will not share the same interest, the price will not rise significantly, remember we need new influx of money, not just those who hold bitcoin
chmod755
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1020

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2015, 12:53:59 PM

Reducing supply does not  necessarily mean it will maintain or increase demand.

If you want to have a positive impact on the Bitcoin economy spend some coins.

sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 01:26:43 PM

The private key of this wallet is lost (on purpose) and those bitcoins will never be able to get out of this wallet (or heaven?  Cheesy )

1. What's the guarantee this will drive the price up?
2. If you destroy Bitcoins and price increases, don't you have same amount of money? (More BTC with less price VS Less BTC with high price)
3. What's the guarantee the private key to that address is lost? (Apart from trusting your word)
4. Why not use a proven 'Proof of Burn' address instead of using yours? (https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Proof_of_burn , https://blockchain.info/address/1CounterpartyXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXUWLpVr)
Eastwind

Activity: 896

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 02:59:42 PM

The private key of this wallet is lost (on purpose) and those bitcoins will never be able to get out of this wallet (or heaven?  Cheesy )

You want to increase the value of BTC by reducing the circulated coins. We can also reduce the emission speed of BTC. For example, we can change the emission to 6.25 BTC per 10 mins intead of 12.5 BTC per 10 mins and make the half time every 8 years. This will slow down the emission but keep the total number of coins.

For the time being, when BTC is not popular, we need about 25*144*250 dollar to absorb the coins. That could be too high for the market at this stage.
planetroving
Legendary

Activity: 2170

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 07:00:52 AM

I don't think reducing the number of Bitcoins in cicrulation will actually see the price higher. Also, as many others here have said, this is likely to be a scam, for the user to earn some easy Bitcoins. Just my opinion.
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 07:22:01 AM

Reducing supply does not  necessarily mean it will maintain or increase demand.

If you want to have a positive impact on the Bitcoin economy spend some coins.

I suggest the OP and all we to buy more bitcoin, this is the only valid way for increase the price (or better) the value of bitcoin itself. Destroy it will not raise the value (or at least not now, maybe in the next 20-25 years).
chmod755
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1020

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2015, 07:33:57 AM

I suggest the OP and all we to buy more bitcoin, this is the only valid way for increase the price (or better) the value of bitcoin itself. Destroy it will not raise the value (or at least not now, maybe in the next 20-25 years).

Buy more bitcoins if you have money you can afford to lose. I suggested 'spend bitcoins', even thought many merchants will sell those coins (Overstock keeps 10% in Bitcoin IIRC) - if they are seeing increased sales they will probably recommend Bitcoin --> increases the chance of more people using it.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: