Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 11:16:45 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Any critics about my portfolio?  (Read 2597 times)
SebastianJu (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2012, 10:20:16 AM

I now bought a small portfolio while taking a look at the roi mostly. Second look was if the project looks trustworthy and i spreaded the risk a bit. So now i have:

Code:
BIF.BTCST.PPT 	3 	BTCST
TYGRR.BOND-P 2 BTCST
FOO.PPPPT 2 BTCST
BIB.PIRATE 1 BTCST
FPGAMINING 3 Mining
OBSI.1MHS 35 Mining
JTME  3 Mining

Any critics about this portfolio? I bought always for the lowest Ask-Price to have the share instantly so i had to pay some fees. In total: 0.0763445 BTC in fees. I think thats ok.

On the other hand bitcoin was 7.2usd at end of july the 11th and at the end of august the 11th it was at 11.5813usd which means around 61% more value after one month. Even the best assets, that use BTCST, which maybe even is an hyip only has only half that performance. So im asking myself if the best investment wouldnt be to have it invested in bitcoins only. But when im thinking over it... that seems to be a wrong thought, because the BTCs are invested and not turned into another currency and the dividends are bitcoins too. So in total after a month you have more bitcoins because of the dividends and you have more usd-value for each bitcoin because of the currency exchanging value. Or is there another wrong thought in this?

You think i should risk less bitcoins in btcst?

Thanks!
Sebastian

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
DeaDTerra
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 10:38:27 AM

It depends on what risk profile you want. Right now you have a pretty high risk but also a high reward kind of portfolio. There's nothing wrong with that as long as you aware of the risk.
//DeaDTerra
SebastianJu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2012, 10:42:44 AM

Do you see risks in the Mining-Assets i bought or only the btcst ones?

PsychoticBoy
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1010

Parental Advisory Explicit Content

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 10:50:48 AM

I think he is talking about the btcst thingies (the PPT`s).
Major RISK!

Greetz
SebastianJu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2012, 11:18:46 AM

Ok, ill think about what i will do. Most of the btcst-fonds will get dividend in the next 1 or 2 days. I will wait till that dates at least.

Lethos

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2012, 12:03:11 PM

I've just got into securities as a nice stable place to earn interest, until I feel like selling a good chunk of my bitcoins.
I like mining based securities for that safe bet aspect, so I think you are doing okay having an even spread.

AngryCatfish

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 12:39:58 PM

I love the idea of seeing other people portfolio, should a new thread be made or could this be used for that? Is there any risk I may be missing with sharing that info?
BitcoinINV

Activity: 448

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 12:57:22 PM

I love the idea of seeing other people portfolio, should a new thread be made or could this be used for that? Is there any risk I may be missing with sharing that info?
sounds like a great idea!

BadBitcoin (James Sutton)
Donator

Activity: 452
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 01:14:39 PM

yeah its not like there is any "lucurative" investments right now, anything better than anything else, I'd be happy to post mine.
ShireSilver

Activity: 382
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2012, 02:26:27 PM

I know I'm very heavy into pirate based investments right now, but then I need the growth more than the safety. My medium to longer term strategy is to gradually shift my dividend reinvestments from pirate based to safer stuff like mining. I don't believe BTCST will last forever, but am hopeful that it winds down nicely when it needs to. In this manner I hope to gradually grow into more safety.

One thing I do like to do is when I buy some shares I figure out what price I'd sell for and set up the sell. For example, I might buy 10 shares of YARR for 1.6 and immediately place a sell order for 10 at 1.9 - that way if for some reason it jumps up I make a nice deal. When I first started BTC investing I did that for some PPT.x shares and made a better deal than holding them would have.

Shire Silver, a better bullion that fits in your wallet. Get some, now accepting bitcoin!
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3273

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 05:23:08 PM

My thoughts:
  • For the small amount in BTCST, I would just combine them into 1 security to avoid having to keep track of 4.
  • You must also consider the change in price of the bonds. Mining bonds have not been a good investment lately because their prices have dropped so much.
  • By belief is that BTCST is not just "risky", it is certain to fail and investors will lose everything. Others disagree.
For example, I might buy 10 shares of YARR for 1.6 and immediately place a sell order for 10 at 1.9 - that way if for some reason it jumps up I make a nice deal.
Then what do you do with the BTC? Buy more YARR? Playing volatility games is tricky. I wouldn't build my whole investment strategy around it.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
SebastianJu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2012, 05:39:57 PM

My thoughts:
  • For the small amount in BTCST, I would just combine them into 1 security to avoid having to keep track of 4.
I could do this, but its not only that btcst could crash, it could happen too, that one assetowner will go home with the bitcoins he had. So playing his own little hyip. This way i have spread the risk about 4 assets of this type. But i will go out of them anyway. The earning earned more above miningassets related to the risk isnt good enough i think.
  • You must also consider the change in price of the bonds. Mining bonds have not been a good investment lately because their prices have dropped so much.
But the prices should only drop when the dividends are lower. Or the bonds were overprized. I hope i made a good buy now, when the prices dropped and hopefully they dont go down in future. Smiley
  • By belief is that BTCST is not just "risky", it is certain to fail and investors will lose everything. Others disagree.
I think youre right here. It looks too much like a hyip. Only thing thats unusual in my opinion is the high price for a share of btcst. Normally hyips take very low amounts of money too to maximize the profits. But, like i said, i wont take the risk in the future.

ShireSilver

Activity: 382
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2012, 07:32:05 PM

For example, I might buy 10 shares of YARR for 1.6 and immediately place a sell order for 10 at 1.9 - that way if for some reason it jumps up I make a nice deal.
Then what do you do with the BTC? Buy more YARR? Playing volatility games is tricky. I wouldn't build my whole investment strategy around it.
Well, if YARR were to drop back down then why not pick up more? But there's always other options available. It depends on what the conditions at the time are.

But overall my strategy is roughly to risk the initial principle on BTCST derivatives and reinvest the dividends in safer choices. Once the non-BTCST investments reach parity with the original principle (which will be pretty soon for me) then even if BTCST disappears outright then I'm no worse off than before I started. But then I'm willing to take more risks than the average person.

Shire Silver, a better bullion that fits in your wallet. Get some, now accepting bitcoin!
Bjork

Activity: 457

Look for the bear necessities!!

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 07:45:08 PM

needs more GIPPT and BDT

piotr_n
Legendary

Activity: 2053
Merit: 1354

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2012, 07:45:32 PM

Any critics about this portfolio?
You have either BTCST or Mining bonds.
Maybe you'd like to look into assets that are neither of the two, like: SILVER, CIUCIU.BOND or BDT.

Also, from the mining bonds, I can recommend MOORE, which should keep up the value while the other mining bonds are falling.

And, as when it comes to BTCST pass-through investments, after couple of months of dealing with GLBSE, I finally realized that services like BitcoinMax and Hashking are far much better for this.
They provide a better interest rate and also a better liquidity, meaning: easier and cheaper to withdraw your money from BTCST when you want it.
You can also open a savings account at the pirate directly, removing the middle man risk at the cost of lower interest rate, but there you need to put in at least 100 BTC.

Check out gocoin - my original project of full bitcoin node & cold wallet written in Go.
PGP fingerprint: AB9E A551 E262 A87A 13BB  9059 1BE7 B545 CDF3 FD0E
brendio

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 07:56:16 PM

On the other hand bitcoin was 7.2usd at end of july the 11th and at the end of august the 11th it was at 11.5813usd which means around 61% more value after one month. Even the best assets, that use BTCST, which maybe even is an hyip only has only half that performance. So im asking myself if the best investment wouldnt be to have it invested in bitcoins only. But when im thinking over it... that seems to be a wrong thought, because the BTCs are invested and not turned into another currency and the dividends are bitcoins too. So in total after a month you have more bitcoins because of the dividends and you have more usd-value for each bitcoin because of the currency exchanging value. Or is there another wrong thought in this?

One thing to keep in mind when choosing assets if you are considering changes in exchange rate is whether the asset is more correlated with BTC value or fiat (USD) value. Pure BTC bonds, such as the BTCST passthroughs, as well as TEEK.A and .B etc are fully correlated with BTC value.

Mining assets tend to be more correlated with fiat value, because when the BTC exchange rate increases, difficulty tends to increase as well. Also, even if denominated in MH/s, mining bonds or shares represent a certain amount of mining hardware (and possibly prepaid costs, such as electricity and depreciation, which are denominated in fiat), the value of which correlates more closely to fiat values.

Some assets are a mixture. BIB.BVPS is probably more correlated to fiat values, because their costs and the sales, while paid in BTC, correlated with fiat values.

If you are aiming for a mixture of BTC and fiat exposure, it is good to know what type of investment an asset represents. If you wish to maintain a certain level of exposure to the bitcoin price, you can hedge investments in "fiat-correlated" assets by buying more bitcoin in an amount corresponding to your investment, or by taking a leveraged position (e.g. POLY.10.1).

Disclosure: The author operates assets on GLBSE and holds investments in some of the assets mentioned in this post.

SebastianJu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2012, 08:14:01 PM

Any critics about this portfolio?
You have either BTCST or Mining bonds.
Maybe you'd like to look into assets that are neither of the two, like: SILVER, CIUCIU.BOND or BDT.

I checked them out but they only bring 13%, 16% and 40% of the ROI that the best BTCST brings i bought. The last one is a good chunk better than the other 2 and brings back initial investment after 7,29months. Thats better than pyramining at least. But glbse has better miner than that. Not to speak of btcst ones.

Also, from the mining bonds, I can recommend MOORE, which should keep up the value while the other mining bonds are falling.

Moore has break even after 26 months only.

And, as when it comes to BTCST pass-through investments, after couple of months of dealing with GLBSE, I finally realized that services like BitcoinMax and Hashking are far much better for this.
They provide a better interest rate and also a better liquidity, meaning: easier and cheaper to withdraw your money from BTCST when you want it.
You can also open a savings account at the pirate directly, removing the middle man risk at the cost of lower interest rate, but there you need to put in at least 100 BTC.

I checked out the 2 sites you mentioned and it looks like they pay 6.91% per week. At glbse you have projects with up to 7,84%. So i think when risking it to invest in btcst i would prefer the glbse ones.

But in total i critisize the assets on a high level when speaking of projects that bring in 54% to 164,54% interest each year. Wink (I mean the first 3 and moore)

SebastianJu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2012, 08:18:43 PM

One thing to keep in mind when choosing assets if you are considering changes in exchange rate is whether the asset is more correlated with BTC value or fiat (USD) value. Pure BTC bonds, such as the BTCST passthroughs, as well as TEEK.A and .B etc are fully correlated with BTC value.

Mining assets tend to be more correlated with fiat value, because when the BTC exchange rate increases, difficulty tends to increase as well. Also, even if denominated in MH/s, mining bonds or shares represent a certain amount of mining hardware (and possibly prepaid costs, such as electricity and depreciation, which are denominated in fiat), the value of which correlates more closely to fiat values.

Some assets are a mixture. BIB.BVPS is probably more correlated to fiat values, because their costs and the sales, while paid in BTC, correlated with fiat values.

If you are aiming for a mixture of BTC and fiat exposure, it is good to know what type of investment an asset represents. If you wish to maintain a certain level of exposure to the bitcoin price, you can hedge investments in "fiat-correlated" assets by buying more bitcoin in an amount corresponding to your investment, or by taking a leveraged position (e.g. POLY.10.1).

Disclosure: The author operates assets on GLBSE and holds investments in some of the assets mentioned in this post.

Yes, Mining is getting harder constantly. But hopefully the assetholder are updating constantly too, so the hashingpower is rising. But of course the effect is there. I think one has to constantly check out dividends and price per share to check out if the things move into wrong direction. BTCST is without fiat but on the other hand it maybe holds a greater risk.

piotr_n
Legendary

Activity: 2053
Merit: 1354

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2012, 09:03:03 PM
Last edit: August 12, 2012, 09:17:21 PM by piotr_n

I checked them out but they only bring 13%, 16% and 40% of the ROI that the best BTCST brings i bought. The last one is a good chunk better than the other 2 and brings back initial investment after 7,29months. Thats better than pyramining at least. But glbse has better miner than that. Not to speak of btcst ones.
But they are not exposed to BTCST default and resistant to the mining difficulty growth.

Moore has break even after 26 months only.
But after 26 weeks it gives you much better chance of selling them at the price you paid.

I checked out the 2 sites you mentioned and it looks like they pay 6.91% per week. At glbse you have projects with up to 7,84%. So i think when risking it to invest in btcst i would prefer the glbse ones.
Well, if you have projects at GLBSE with up to 7,84% then I'm happy for you Tongue

My general advise: start with small amounts, see how the prices change, observe the liquidity, and after 3 months or so you will get to the same conclusions as I have.

Check out gocoin - my original project of full bitcoin node & cold wallet written in Go.
PGP fingerprint: AB9E A551 E262 A87A 13BB  9059 1BE7 B545 CDF3 FD0E
Rockefoten

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 09:06:07 PM

BTCST is without fiat but on the other hand it maybe holds a greater risk.

BTCST is without doubt huge risk, but equally interesting is how this risk could affect the risk of other assets.
In addition to BTCST continuing for eternity, there are 2 possible outcomes:
1) Pirate defaults partially or completely.
Will this lead to a market crash as investors lose confidence in Bitcoin or the BTC securities market, or will it have little or no effect on other assets?

2) Pirate does an orderly shut-down and returns alle funds to investors.
Will this lead to a asset price boom as a huge amount of capital suddenly made idle starts to chase after the other avaible assets? Or will the previous BTCST investors be content with their earnings and withdraw their BTC from GLBSE?

Of course it's impossible to predict what will happen, and I'm aware that I laid things out quite black and white here.
My point is that even though one is not invested in Pirate's, this does not mean that one is insulated from risk associated with the BTCST, as what happens with BTCST could very well affect the rest of the securities market, at least short-term.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: