Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 05:45:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Economics says that mining should be profitable... So why is it unprofitable?  (Read 2490 times)
Robert Paulson

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 01:12:31 AM

That's kinda like asking why is Tesla's stock worth anything (https://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=TSLA), the company never earned a single dollar since it was created.
money today is cheap, interest rates are at 0, and people are speculating that bitcoin will go up in price and their currently barely profitable mining operation will turn very profitable in the future.
Minerjoe

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 07:54:46 AM

As everything else, it s competition, the healthy base of any capitalistic economy.

You produce something or mine something until price equals marginal cost.
If it goes lower then that, you must stop cause you are losing money. There are large farms who can actually achieve this high level of efficient and mine at position where P=MC.
All of us, small miners are less efficient and we cannot do it anymore. This is no different then any other similar economy. More competitive and more efficient firm push out the rest out of the market.

So it s not the mining is unprofitable, only it s unprofitable for you and me. It s profitable for somebody else.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: