Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 06:52:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will you support International Bitcoin Day?  (Read 3158 times)
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 10:18:32 PM

great idea. we as community can make the difference and make more non tech people aware of bitcoin and its benefits.
i'm sure if they know what it is and why it is better than traditional payment options they will definitely set a first step towards using bitcoin.
Trevor Lyman (OP)

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 10:28:11 PM

I think the hole point of this is that we don't need all 7 + billion on planet earth to get involved at once we just need to raise awareness internationally to the level that we have all done our bit to raise bitcoin to many more users, then the next time one of these projects start up we will have that extra few people to help in the efforts who will show more people what this awesome technology is about and then again and again. By the time it builds some more people around the world may have developed enough tech to have the devices to also join in. We all join together then anything is possible if we all just sit around hoping for it and leaving it to someone else it will never happen. Count me in op well done..  

Yes!  I'm not actually worried about having every single person in the world use Bitcoin.  That would be great, but if a person doesn't have a computer or access, then there isn't much we can do about that.  But the idea is that it gives people a reason to give Bitcoin a try.  It's really just a publicity campaign that gives people an excuse to give Bitcoin a try.

After the event, there should be more people with Bitcoins than there were before, hopefully millions more, but even a few thousand more would be a good thing.
Natalia_AnatolioPAMM

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 10:43:10 PM

would buy lots of stuff online and celebrate with champagne  Tongue
Slaxt

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Gone......

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 10:50:43 PM

would buy lots of stuff online and celebrate with champagne  Tongue

Stuff you say so what kind of stuff are we talking i will also buy lots of stuff but where can we buy all this stuff, Op i am in this but i don't want to click your link call me old fashioned but that could have all sorts or presents waiting so after this post i will see if i can find it on another browser. It is a good idea and it is good you want to help so good on ya dude..

TC is the worse thing to happen to default, needs to open his eyes and not jump to conclusions, not everyone lies!!! Anyway as promised I have left, pass word changed to long random which I will forget like that plonker who ruined a perfectly fine account.
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1252

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 11:57:54 PM

great idea. we as community can make the difference and make more non tech people aware of bitcoin and its benefits.
i'm sure if they know what it is and why it is better than traditional payment options they will definitely set a first step towards using bitcoin.
Yes it's a great idea, the problem is reaching a consensus. How do we decide the day that becomes Bitcoin day in a decentralized community? Cheesy
BitcoinPenny
aka CJBianco
Legendary

Activity: 2663
Merit: 2203

BitcoinPenny.com

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2015, 12:00:27 AM

Yes it's a great idea, the problem is reaching a consensus. How do we decide the day that becomes Bitcoin day in a decentralized community? Cheesy

LOL Great point! I love irony.  Smiley

Me

BitcoinPenny.com | "When it comes to bitcoin swag, we make perfect CENTS!"
valkir
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 12:06:53 AM

Done! I subscrie to the system!  Grin

That a great idea. Lets hope it will be awesome on January 3rd!

██     Please support sidehack with his new miner project Send to :

1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
duckydonald

Activity: 378

Pre-sale - March 18

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 12:34:58 AM

We already have bitcoin pizza day and bitcoin black Friday. Those days suit people who already use bitcoin and might encourage a few newbies to start. International bitcoin day might work if more people start using bitcoin, but IMO not enough use it right now to expect everyone to use it for a day.
Bitcoin pizza day isn't celebrated as much as we would think it is actually. There's about 200 odd people who actually show an interest.

It would work if each bitcoin member buys someone a bitcoin with pizza,

actually have another good idea in mind, op contact me.  This idea you might like it
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 01:21:59 AM

what about the day that satoshi introduced the bitcoin white paper to the world? sounds very reasonable to me.
koshgel
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 01:33:19 AM

Of course it would be supported.

There needs to be a designated day where we can support and raise awareness for Bitcoin.
Lorenzo

Activity: 406

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 02:21:18 AM

For those who don't already know, January 3rd, 2009 is the date of the creation of the genesis block:

The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks

Some form of voting system should be possible. I know there are already altcoins out there that have implemented decentralized voting (e.g. NXT, BitShares, and Qora). Something similar might be possible using a Blockchain 2.0 system based on Bitcoin such as Mastercoin or Counterparty.

EDIT: The Bitcoin Foundation recently used the Counterparty protol to hold an on-blockchain vote so this could definitely be an option:

http://blog.bitcoinfoundation.org/voting-on-the-blockchain-version-1-0/
Bobblehead Pete

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 03:11:29 AM

What would happen if everyone in the world used Bitcoin for one day?

Please check out the site and let me know what you think.

http://IntBtcDay.com

If theyll organizae something like that in our city, I will gladly join.
calme

Activity: 392

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 03:14:04 AM

i'd love it if they replaced christmas with it instead of made bitcoin day be on some random day. then we'd have enough publicity for every day to be christmas instead of just one day. ppl don't give a shit about the gods anymore anyway
Lorenzo

Activity: 406

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 03:59:47 AM

i'd love it if they replaced christmas with it instead of made bitcoin day be on some random day.

January 3rd isn't just some random day though. It was the day when the Bitcoin blockchain was officially released:

http://blockchain.info/block-index/14849 (see the timestamp)

Quote from: Bitcoin Wiki
The coinbase parameter (seen above in hex) contains, along with the normal data, the following text:

The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks

This was probably intended as proof that the block was created on or after January 3rd, 2009, as well as a comment on the instability caused by fractional-reserve banking.

Source: http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Genesis_block

It's even listed on Wikipedia:

Quote from: Wikipedia
The first block of the blockchain of the decentralized payment system Bitcoin, called the Genesis block, was established by the creator of the system, Satoshi Nakamoto.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/January_3

Curiously, searching for "January 3rd" on these forums reveals another attempt to establish a "Bitcoin Day" so the concept definitely isn't new:

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=868274
calme

Activity: 392

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 04:08:44 AM

January 3rd isn't just some random day though. It was the day when the Bitcoin blockchain was officially released
well, that's pretty cool. i didn't know that. if the holiday season could be extended to include jan. 3, that would be awesome.
Trevor Lyman (OP)

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 03:39:47 PM
Last edit: March 25, 2015, 07:45:06 PM by Trevor Lyman

The Thunderclap for this has been approved!

http://thndr.it/18WZbAH
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2015, 07:52:33 PM

As a reminder of bitcoin limited supply the date of the bitcoin day should change every four year to match halving time.

First four year would have been Jan 3rd
Next four year December 28

There could then be two celebration on the year of halving, the previous one and the next one.
More reason to party is always good.

Next btc day would be 2015-12-28
Next halving estimated date : 2016-07-29
2017-07-29
2018-07-29
2019-07-29
Trevor Lyman (OP)

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 10:26:14 PM

Five have pitched in so far  Grin

Please sign up here:

https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/24112-international-bitcoin-day

Thanks for your support!

http://libertycrier.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/IntBtcDay-cover-mailchimp-Thunderclap.jpg
coinpr0n

Activity: 910

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 10:35:09 PM

It's a good idea I think the time will come someday when we can maybe do this but probably not this year.

Trevor Lyman (OP)

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 05:25:39 PM

Roger Ver is supporting the effort now!

https://twitter.com/rogerkver/status/580988769513295873

Now there are nearly 30 signed up for the Thunderclap! Smiley
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: