Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 04:03:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitshares is DEAD  (Read 5589 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
brekyrself

Activity: 547
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 12:17:49 AM

can someone explain why this was an issue to bitshares? people were able to sell bitUSD for cheaper?

Some people have a hard time grasping the concept of the market pegs.  They will see a 3rd party exchange, such as bter, trading BitAssets that are no where near the true peg price and think something is broken.

You simply need to open the bitshares client and trade on the decentralized exchange to see the markets are working just fine.  Some people's "extensive" due diligence is browsing coinmarketcap.com  Roll Eyes
infovortice2013
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2015, 12:34:24 AM

good post for weak hands that not use the great bitshares wallet producing panic selling

and good for each ones that wanna buy cheap BTS while we can.

congrats
StanLarimer

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 01:17:44 AM
Last edit: March 26, 2015, 04:13:37 PM by StanLarimer

Heh, I remember as a kid hearing my mother hum the jingle to this famous ad as she did the laundry:

(Hint:  It's the last four notes in the 1968 classic rock song "Touch me" by the Doors.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bKSqKpdEFI

Funny, I don't remember her ever telling my dad that

1.  "The tensile strength of this soap powder far exceeds that of dirt."
2.  "This detergent's oder is far more powerful than the smell of your work socks."
3.  "Did you know that Ajax can do the same thing as Atlas -- without shrugging?"

So, from nearly sixty years of training in front of the old boob tube, I've become an expert a recognizing the purpose of a good advertising slogan.

If you can get people to ask, "Oh really?  In what way exactly is Ajax stronger than dirt?", then you have solved half the marketing battle.

So, if we can get the ordinary, non-crypto-aware consumer to ask a similar question, "Oh really, In what way exactly is BitShares safer than a Swiss Bank?" than we will have done our marketing job.

So, I would appreciate it if you would continue to complain everywhere you can about my favorite marketing slogan.  I'd like to see everyone's mother humming that jingle on the way to collect her yield on her unconfiscatable, unrehypothicatable, un-bail-in-able, uninflatable and unbetrayable savings.

BitShares.  
Safer than a Swiss Bank.  
(Ask me why!)

robrigo

Activity: 138
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 03:18:03 AM

I've stopped relying on coinmarketcap to check the health of the peg... it is frequently way off from the actual price for some reason.

Haters gonna hate. I'm looking at you DecentralizeEconomics. Just because you don't want to hold any bitUSD doesn't mean others won't see the value in it buddy.

Twitter: @robrig0

In Detroit? Want to learn more about BitShares? RSVP for the meetup! http://www.meetup.com/bitshares-worldwide/
StanLarimer

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 03:55:59 AM

In DE's defense, he has done more than anyone else to raise the visibility of BitShares on this forum.

(And at great expense to his anonymous reputation.)

But we still greatly admire his, possibly fictitious, polite and honorable inverse twin sister, um, Daisy.    Wink

I continue to hope he will mellow out and join our community at BitShares (where everybody knows our names).

DecentralizeEconomics
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1042

White Male Libertarian Bro

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 05:48:31 AM

join our community at BitShares (where everybody knows our names).

That's an interesting comment seeing that you removed everyone's name off your website.

"Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties." - Areopagitica
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826

amarha

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 09:15:11 AM

I have to admit I've found the Bitshares marketing to be off putting. Specifically these things stick in my mind:

1. "Your own personal Fort Knox."
2. "Safer than a Swiss bank account."

and especially:

3. The video that sounds something like "what if I told you blah blah *bunch of claims* blah blah... well...Now you can!".

Apologies to Stan or whoever is/was responsible for these specific marketing efforts, but they really made me cringe. And I don't have any negative bias towards Bitshares at all. I'm interested in following the progress of the project.
sumantso
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 10:42:58 AM
Last edit: March 26, 2015, 10:43:57 PM by sumantso

I have to admit I've found the Bitshares marketing to be off putting. Specifically these things stick in my mind:

1. "Your own personal Fort Knox."
2. "Safer than a Swiss bank account."

and especially:

3. The video that sounds something like "what if I told you blah blah *bunch of claims* blah blah... well...Now you can!".

Apologies to Stan or whoever is/was responsible for these specific marketing efforts, but they really made me cringe. And I don't have any negative bias towards Bitshares at all. I'm interested in following the progress of the project.

No need for apologies, marketing sucks - to put it bluntly. Not to mention the millions of BTS's sunk into it, and it is no wonder it is struggling.

Sadly, while I am a holder, primarily as I think they are doing the right thing and liked BM's vision, I quite think this particular BTS is going to fail. There will be other teams who will take up the readymade code and do it better, and I am hoping they will sharedrop on us.

StanLarimer

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 12:49:30 PM

Now these are the kinds of constructive comments that are actually helpful.

Our new marketing advisors have started to emphasize more testing of ads and A/B comparisons to learn what people like and don't like about our promotional materials.

What one group thinks is awesome, another thinks is off-putting, so, ideally, you want to do things differently for each culture and demographic you are reaching out to.  This, of course, increases the costs exponentially.

Tailored and vetted marketing is something we want to do as much as we can afford to do.  Hopefully we will get better at it as we grow and have more resources to put into it.

To get to that level of marketing resources faster, we would have had to sell off a big chunk of the equity to VC investors rather than giving it away in sharedrops.  Whatever goes into marketing comes out of development which is where our emphasis necessarily had to be while we were breaking all that new ground.

You get to watch it develop out in the open where you have the option to get in on the ground floor - before it is perfect and polished.  Most startups never give investors that kind of insight.

The good news is, far-sighted people who can see past our ham-fisted marketing have an early adopter advantage over those who can't.

We think that's how it should be.

Smiley

StanLarimer

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 12:54:34 PM

join our community at BitShares (where everybody knows our names).

That's an interesting comment seeing that you removed everyone's name off your website.

Actually, to have much of a hope of getting elected, our hundreds of delegate candidates need to disclose their real identities and develop a public reputation.  There are rare exceptions and we respect honorable men and women whose sustained positive contributions make the community willing to overlook their desires to stay out of the lime light.

Smiley
Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2015, 04:07:06 PM

BitShares.  
Safer than a Swiss Bank.  
(Ask me why!)

Well, I have to hand it to you: you're irrepressible. Smiley

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

sumantso
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 10:46:24 PM

Our new marketing advisors have started to emphasize more testing of ads and A/B comparisons to learn what people like and don't like about our promotional materials.

I have heard enough over the past year to not take your statement at face value. If I started making a list of the overpromises and non-delivery, it would make for an utterly depressing read.

For our own sake I hope you're not bluffing this time.

StanLarimer

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 12:20:47 AM

I have heard enough over the past year to not take your statement at face value. If I started making a list of the overpromises and non-delivery, it would make for an utterly depressing read.

The trouble with sharing your team's real time strategic thoughts, aspirations, hopes and dreams is that it ultimately results in posts like this.
That's why we don't do that so much any more. 

Got roundly criticized for that decision too!  <Heavy sigh>.

Smiley
Daedelus

Activity: 574

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 12:37:15 AM

It took me two conversations with Stan to realise this, so a year rly!  Glutton for punishment  Cheesy nah, it's cool though. I have a video you can play in the background that makes Stans posts really entertaining. Just let me know.
hack_

Activity: 501
Merit: 503

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 03:12:18 AM

unless they start getting new people , not just gullible idiots, but developers..they are doomed
Webnet

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

DaDice! Next Generation Dice Game

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 03:19:24 AM

I still have a few old coins, are they still valid

brekyrself

Activity: 547
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 03:51:52 AM

unless they start getting new people , not just gullible idiots, but developers..they are doomed

What am i missing here?

https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares/graphs/contributors

Looks like they have developers and quite a few third party dev's that are utilizing the bitshares system?
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 03:55:56 AM

I dev for bitshares my delegate is dev.sidhujag.. I did ecommerce payment gateways and social login for bitshares my github is http://github.com/sidhujag
StanLarimer

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 05:30:00 AM

Check out the BitShares Loves Puppies thread.

I post another example of a new developer or BitShares based business or new delegate proposal there several times a week

I just added two more earlier today.
StanLarimer

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 03:07:05 PM

Oh, and we just had Bytemaster's weekly "town hall meeting" which is another great "Proof of Life" for any doubters in the crowd.   Smiley

Bytemaster takes live questions from a worldwide on-line audience every Friday at 10 Eastern Time (UTC+5) here:
Talk With Bytemaster

You are all invited too.

As you can see, we typically have quite a large turnout of people taking an hour out of their workdays or evenings or sleeping hours to attend.  A recording is also published for those who can't attend live.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: