Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 07:14:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Current market conditions are scary  (Read 2854 times)
Wandererfromthenorth (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 08:25:42 PM
Last edit: March 25, 2015, 09:50:49 AM by Wandererfromthenorth

Let's just consider the BTC market technicals for one second.

First of all, the 1w chart still looks like this (the most important multi-year long term support trend line left that was broken with a spectacular crash):

Secondly, on a more short term time frame, price has broken below the support trend line since the $150 bottom, and now became pretty strong resistance:

And finally, the bid sum on all exchanges (one of the most important aspects in considering a possible sustainable uptrend) is still relentlessly decreasing and is now sitting at scary low levels (bitstamp at $2.6M, Huobi at $1.2M etc)

There's not more to add, current market conditions paint a pretty scary picture.
One thing is sure, the BTC markets have been unhealthy for quite a while, and they are not getting better at all for now.

PS: Sure, in 2011 price broke a log support trend line too (at $4 and then crashed to $2), but I argue that for a lot of reasons you can't really compare these two different scenarios. Price, marketcap, and overall landscape were totally different.
I'm not saying that because of that BTC is going to $0, just saying that breaking that long term trend line right now was a even more bearish turn of events.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 08:30:52 PM
Last edit: March 25, 2015, 12:11:08 PM by Wandererfromthenorth

Also I didn't add the fact that recent pumps have been supported by a lot of borrowed money in longs ($24M+ now on bitfinex) rather than by fresh new fiat on exchanges. These longs will just add to the sell pressure if it goes further down.
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 09:02:06 PM

I don't really put a lot of faith into technical analysis, I always think it is used after something has happened to explain why it happened in retrospect.
I have to say though breaking through the support levels isn't great news, but it could just as well mean that it is oversold and due to rise..

I don't day trade anyway, so as long as the line continues upwards in the long run I will be happy.  What would be your prediction for a low price if your technical analysis is right? Looks like about 1200yuan, so $193 or so?
uki
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

cryptojunk bag holder

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 09:38:43 PM

@OP: Here in this topic we discuss why applying TA to Bitcoin does not always work: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=998939.0
You should definitely share your thoughts there.

this space is intentionally left blank

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 07:37:45 AM

I don't really put a lot of faith into technical analysis, I always think it is used after something has happened to explain why it happened in retrospect.
I have to say though breaking through the support levels isn't great news, but it could just as well mean that it is oversold and due to rise..

I don't day trade anyway, so as long as the line continues upwards in the long run I will be happy.  What would be your prediction for a low price if your technical analysis is right? Looks like about 1200yuan, so $193 or so?
By looking at the bid sum I doubt the recent $150 bottom will hold, so my guess would be high double digits like $75-$85, something like that.

@OP: Here in this topic we discuss why applying TA to Bitcoin does not always work: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=998939.0
Yes thanks I posted there  Grin
EsaEzekiel

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 07:44:21 AM

so you think the price should back to $350, recently ////
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 08:04:35 AM

it could just be the calm before the storm, the problem is that everyone still compare current situation to the 1200 peak, that peak was just pure manipulation(willy bot ecc...) and a bit of luck

right now the price is low, because there are only whales playing with the market, no new money influx...
NUFCrichard
Legendary

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 08:19:49 AM

I don't day trade anyway, so as long as the line continues upwards in the long run I will be happy.  What would be your prediction for a low price if your technical analysis is right? Looks like about 1200yuan, so $193 or so?
By looking at the bid sum I doubt the recent $150 bottom will hold, so my guess would be high double digits like $75-$85, something like that.

So completely off all of your charts?  That doesn't really seem like technical analysis, rather opinion...
Looking at last time the price broke down through the resistance levels, it fell to an equivilent of about $190.  If we reach that level (i don't think we will) I will be buying in strongly.
calme

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 08:25:15 AM

the funny part of it: just watch how quickly market sentiment turns right back around. it's fucking nuts. perhaps measured in hours.
fairglu
Legendary

Activity: 1100
Merit: 1030

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2015, 08:51:13 AM

@OP: Here in this topic we discuss why applying TA to Bitcoin does not always work

TA does not always work in general.

The power (and weakness) of TA is that it is a self-fulfilling prophecy: whenever enough traders see the same lines, they will trade on them, and thus everything with happen as forecast. Up to a black swan event.

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 10:41:21 AM

So completely off all of your charts?  That doesn't really seem like technical analysis, rather opinion...
Looking at last time the price broke down through the resistance levels, it fell to an equivilent of about $190.  If we reach that level (i don't think we will) I will be buying in strongly.
It's not off the charts. If the next crash has a similar magnitude than the other ones it means it will end up at high double digits like $75-$85.

RyNinDaCleM recently posted a chart that shows this:

The market is so weak it didn't even bulltrap to $340-$360, it just stopped at $300, lol
NUFCrichard
Legendary

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 03:21:06 PM

It's not off the charts. If the next crash has a similar magnitude than the other ones it means it will end up at high double digits like $75-$85.

The market is so weak it didn't even bulltrap to $340-$360, it just stopped at $300, lol

Your trend lines hardly ever touch the curve!  That is also a completely different graph to the one you showed in the first post, where it showed that last time the resistance was broken, there was a flash crash to 933 yuan, before a recovery back to the resistance levels. Using this new graph you seem to be saying that the price will rise to about $400.

I have to say, I didn't realise that you were predicting the price for November, do you not think maybe that fundamentals might come into play over such a long time period? Or do you think that the market only works on a technical level, regardless of what happens with regulations, companies accepting bitcoins, ETFs etc?
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 03:23:35 PM

TA is just a (semi-worthless) tool. The Bitcoin economy will eventually drive the market to amazing new highs.

HarmonLi

Activity: 350

Honest 80s business!

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 03:42:29 PM

I think it's difficult to draw those very long term trend-lines. If you've off by a few USD, you may miss the price by 50 USD when extrapolating the price into the future. I think leveraged trading has changed Bitcoin with this bubble cycle.

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 04:04:28 PM

Your trend lines hardly ever touch the curve!  That is also a completely different graph to the one you showed in the first post, where it showed that last time the resistance was broken, there was a flash crash to 933 yuan, before a recovery back to the resistance levels. Using this new graph you seem to be saying that the price will rise to about $400.

I have to say, I didn't realise that you were predicting the price for November, do you not think maybe that fundamentals might come into play over such a long time period? Or do you think that the market only works on a technical level, regardless of what happens with regulations, companies accepting bitcoins, ETFs etc?
"Curve"? What do you mean?

Yes is a different chart but it was just to show that ranges in high double digits are not "off the charts".

Yes following that chart price was supposed to touch $360.
Few weeks back I admitted that price could reach $330 using a similar trend line but said that overall was still bearish (like the RyNinDaCleM chart): https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=274613.msg10631905#msg10631905

In the end market was so weak that it never recahed $330 or $360.
Raystonn

Activity: 364

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 04:11:50 PM

Are you really using Bitstamp bid sum in your arguments here?  The market has moved on.  It's time to update your data.

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 04:21:09 PM

Are you really using Bitstamp bid sum in your arguments here?  The market has moved on.  It's time to update your data.

It's just an example dude, go to coinsight.org and check for yourself if the situation at any exchange is any different.
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 04:48:06 PM

TA is what it is. Rpietila was dropping TA lines drawing 1 million dollars by now. The thing is we DONT KNOW. What WE KNOW is Bitcoin is amazing and unmatched, and that we are still a extremely underground community.
mrhelpful
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 05:04:21 PM

The btc needs a progress report on all the years event, to get back to $300 or something.

Maybe some good PR will do the trick, and have faith in the coin. lol. Hurry, someone post twitch recently adopting a tipping service used with bitcoin. post it on reddit! I need some $40 manipulation to sell off my coin.  Cheesy

Anyways, yeah the reality of the markets are being rough overall though. I just hope those winkelvoss twins can pull something through like ETF or some shit so normal investors can buy a ton to boost it up lol.

Only then, it would have a solid foundation or something similar as a financial event.

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 05:22:13 PM

TA is what it is. Rpietila was dropping TA lines drawing 1 million dollars by now.
Yeah but that's not really how TA should be used, that's more whishful thinking  Grin
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: