Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 02:20:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin QT blockchain  (Read 2071 times)
monsterx (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 08:50:33 PM

Is there any other way to download the QT blockchain instead of waiting approx. 2 weeks while it downloads through the wallet program?

Sorry for dumb question...
presstab
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

Blockchain Developer

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 08:55:14 PM

find a bootstrap.dat

Most of the waiting time isnt really a bandwidth issue, but is the fact that every block and transaction is scanned to make sure it follows all the rules.

Projects I Contribute To: libzerocoin | Veil | PIVX | HyperStake | Crown | SaluS
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2015, 08:55:39 PM

If you have a decent internet connection, you can download it faster. The time left to download isn't time it will take to download. Bitcoin Core 0.10.0 is faster. Try it if you are using older versions.

If you don't have enough storage or connection, you should probably go for SPV clients.

monsterx (OP)

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 09:07:55 PM

find a bootstrap.dat

Most of the waiting time isnt really a bandwidth issue, but is the fact that every block and transaction is scanned to make sure it follows all the rules.

And what should I do with that?
presstab
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

Blockchain Developer

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 09:29:20 PM

find a bootstrap.dat

This http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/16769/how-to-use-the-bootstrap-dat-file-with-bitcoin-qt

Projects I Contribute To: libzerocoin | Veil | PIVX | HyperStake | Crown | SaluS
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 09:50:52 PM

As I've read, starting with 0.10, a bootstrap file is no longer needed, as the blockchain syncs much faster. Just boot up 0.10 and wait for it to sync...
monsterx (OP)

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 10:05:04 PM

find a bootstrap.dat

This http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/16769/how-to-use-the-bootstrap-dat-file-with-bitcoin-qt

Thanks a lot, I will try that.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2015, 10:11:13 PM

As I've read, starting with 0.10, a bootstrap file is no longer needed, as the blockchain syncs much faster. Just boot up 0.10 and wait for it to sync...

Yes, with 0.10.0 using the bootstrap will make the sync slower. Lets assume you can download the bootstrap with full speed as well as download blocks with the full speed your connection provides. The bootstrap.dat will be verified after it is fully downloaded, while the regular sync via 0.10.0 will let your machine verify the blocks while you download them.

@OP if you have problems finding good nodes to use the full potential of your connection, try adding some of these below. You can add them via:

Code:
addnode IP add

where you replace IP by one of the IP-adresses from the list. You have to enter the command in to the console (Help -> Debug Window -> Console)

Code:
last updated 2015.03.11
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IP                  - location             - owner[1]    -  speed      - info/stats page[2] - testnet
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
185.45.192.129      - Amsterdam, NL, EU    - anon        - 1000 mbit/s - /node.php[3]       - yes
84.200.34.113       - Freinsheim, DE, EU   - Newar       - 1000 mbit/s - yes                - no
5.9.90.133          - Falkenstein, DE, EU  - zvs         -  500 mbit/s - no                 - no
94.23.146.127       - NL, EU               - Mitchełł[6] -  200 mbit/s - /status            - no
213.165.91.169      - Germany, EU          - shorena     -  100 mbit/s - yes                - no
191.236.50.217      - Virgina, US          - grue        -  100 mbit/s - no                 - no
23.92.214.123  [5]  - Rochester, USA       - Newar       -  100 mbit/s - no                 - no
!!The following nodes have been unreachable at the time of the last update and might[4] be down!!
all up
[1] refers to a bitcointalk.org username or anon if requested
[2] same IP, port 80 or path/port given
[3] work in progress
[4] or reached max connections at the time of testing. Nodes failing 3 tests in a row will
be removed (Number of failed test is noted behind the IP)
[5] Runs BTCD (alternative full node implementation with GO)
[6] I dont want you search for those ł's on your keyboard, have a link
    https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=113670

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
emrebey

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 01:32:20 AM

I use electrum because of that.

not only synchronising blockchain, I don't have enough space the store the blockchain :/
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 07:52:06 AM

yeah there is

buy a evo ssd, it will sync the whole blockchain in 1 hour(tried it myself), and it's not expensive at all
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2015, 08:22:48 AM

yeah there is

buy a evo ssd, it will sync the whole blockchain in 1 hour(tried it myself), and it's not expensive at all

For most of us the bottleneck is probably still the internet connection. Even slow mechanical disks can write >30MB/s on average[1], even a 100MBit/s connection will not deliver 30MB per second. In order to to sync within 1 hour you would indeed need a 100MBit/s connection and the disk should not have a big impact, since you would receive data at ~9MB/s, unless you use the disk for something heavy at the same time.

[1] http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/3.5-hard-drive-charts-2008/Average-WriteTransfer-Performance,659.html

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 01:17:07 PM

yeah there is

For most of us the bottleneck is probably still the internet connection. Even slow mechanical disks can write >30MB/s on average[1], even a 100MBit/s connection will not deliver 30MB per second. In order to to sync within 1 hour you would indeed need a 100MBit/s connection and the disk should not have a big impact, since you would receive data at ~9MB/s, unless you use the disk for something heavy at the same time.

[1] http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/3.5-hard-drive-charts-2008/Average-WriteTransfer-Performance,659.html

well that's wierd because with my 850 pro i've synched the whole chain in 45 min, and i don't have 100mb, but only 8
lalaisen

Activity: 57

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 08:17:47 AM

Someone here can show me what is "block reward" ? I don't understand that.

When is "block reward" is 25 BTC and when is 50 BTC or 100 BTC,....

thanks !
unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 10:35:55 AM

Someone here can show me what is "block reward" ? I don't understand that.

When is "block reward" is 25 BTC and when is 50 BTC or 100 BTC,....

thanks !

A block reward is what's distributed to miners when they find a block. The reward is now 25 BTC and doesn't change until the next halving.

See https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining#Reward
BrianM

Activity: 546
Merit: 510

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 11:27:16 AM

There is a bit torrent with the blockchain if I rememeber right.
There is also someone in the market place selling USB drives with the blockchain pre loaded on.
That is a great idea, it is not smart to download all those 30 gigabyte everything you reinstall your computer.
Better to have the chain on a USB stick. Peace.
unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 01:03:21 PM

There is also someone in the market place selling USB drives with the blockchain pre loaded on.
That is a great idea, it is not smart to download all those 30 gigabyte everything you reinstall your computer.

The torrent is useless now with Core 0.10 Smiley

And you don't have re-download the blockchain everytime you format your computer. Simply don't delete the blockchain folder... Put it in your storage partition, and just point Bitcoin Core there
BrianM

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 06:45:55 PM

And you don't have re-download the blockchain everytime you format your computer. Simply don't delete the blockchain folder... Put it in your storage partition, and just point Bitcoin Core there

Why is that? Is the torrent not compatible?

What part of the Bitcoin-core installation folder to you need to back up when reinstaling?
Is there a part of it that is the block chain, or can you just save it all, and put it back on the drive after you have reinstalled?
Thanks  Cool
emrebey

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 12:28:24 PM

see datadir parameter. you can backup/restore later on. if it's not given, look for the default directory.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Data_directory
BrianM

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 01:03:31 PM

see datadir parameter. you can backup/restore later on. if it's not given, look for the default directory.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Data_directory

Oh, that was very helpful, thank you man Smiley
No need to reinstall right now, but I will remember that post,
when the time will come for reinstalling.
unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 01:09:09 PM

Why is that? Is the torrent not compatible?

What part of the Bitcoin-core installation folder to you need to back up when reinstaling?
Is there a part of it that is the block chain, or can you just save it all, and put it back on the drive after you have reinstalled?
Thanks  Cool

The torrent is compatible... But with 0.10 you have no advantage in using it Smiley

As for the blockchain, you have the datadir option as replied. The default dir is on %appdata% in Windows and .bitcoin in Linux. I always have it in a separate partition that's never formatted.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: