Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:52:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Auto Thread: Talk Cars or Trade Parts  (Read 3307 times)
RustyRyan (OP)

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 07:56:21 PM
Last edit: August 17, 2012, 11:21:25 AM by RustyRyan

Hey guys, I figured if there's a haven for ammo & guns here, then why not one for parts and all things auto? I don't know if car enthusiasts and bitcoin go as hand in hand as gun enthusiasts and bitcoin, but I figured I'd see who's out there.

The thread is open to any that wish to discuss cars or trade parts, as I may be doing so in the near future, so that's why I've brought this to the marketplace.
_______________________________________________________________________________ _____________

I'm currently looking for suggestions of relatively inexpensive and fast used cars. I'm looking for a ride in the range of under 10k to be a sporty alternate to my daily driver. Cheaper is better so that I have starter room for fixes and aftermarket upgrades. No street racer here, just have a love and interest to broaden my knowledge and skills and have a project to work on, probably go to the track several times.

Here's what I've been interested in so far. (Some obviously difficult/rare to find in the price range).

-Nissan 300zx 90-95 (2+2 or TT)
-Nissan 240sx S14 (wish S15)
-Nissan 180sx
-BMW M3 95-99 (Coupe or Sedan)
-Infiniti G35 Coupe 03-06

Let me know what you guys think, not looking necessarily for fastest quarter mile times, but overall performance, reliability, looks, and other thoughts. Tips and additions are definitely welcome. Tell me what rides you have. Enlighten me.
_______________________________________________________________________________ _____________

You don't have to necessarily answer me. The thread's open to anything, just started it with something of my own.

P.S. Please no hotheads trying to out flame each other, let's at least try to have a nice environment.

Thanks for stopping by,
RustyRyan

"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing."
  Bitcoin-otcPGP Key
  RustyRyan's Deposits - Low Risk Weekly Term Deposits at 3.0% Interest.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 08:25:41 PM

300zx is heavy and has bad handling unless it's been done properly - kills people in the wet.  Expensive to maintain when things go wrong on the TT model.
Mitsi 3000GT - hugely overweight, but looks nice.
Infiniti G35 - I used to have a J30 - loved it.  engines are good
Honda (any) I'll refrain from commenting to prevent a flame war

S14's are nice - will be at the the silvia club track day in October.
AndrewBUD

Activity: 1078
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2012, 08:32:52 PM

Good idea man... Smiley

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████▀▀''`▀▀█████▄▄
▄███P'            `YY██▄
▄██P'                  `Y██▄
███'                      `███
███'                         ███
▄██'   ▄█████▄▄  ,▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄p   ███
▄██▀  ,████▀P▀███.`██████████P   ▀██▄
███[ ,████ __. ███.   ,▄████▀    ███
███[ ]████████████[  ▄████▀       ███
███[ `████   ,oo2 ▄████▀'       ,███
▀██▄  `████▄▄█████d███████████   ▄██▀
▀██.   `▀▀▀▀▀▀"  Y▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ,██▀
███.                        ,███
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀███▄_                 ,███▀
▀███▄▄_          _▄▄███▀
▀▀████▄▄ooo▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀'

TM

EZ365 is a digital ecosystem that combines
the best aspects of online gaming, cryptocurrency
trading
and blockchain education. ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

..WHITEPAPER..    ..INVESTOR PITCH..

.Telegram     Twitter   Facebook

.'M████▀▀██  ██
                      W█Ws'V██  ██▄▄███▀▀█
                     i█████m.~M████▀▀██  ███
                     d███████Ws'V██  ██████
                     ****M██████m.~███f~~__mW█
          ██▀▀▀████████=  Y██▀▀██W ,gm███████
      g█████▄▄▄██   █A~`_WW Y█  ██!,████████
   g▀▀▀███   ████▀▀`_m████i!████P W███  ██
 _███▄▄▄██▀▀▀███Af`_m███   █W ███A ]███  ██
__ ~~~▀▀▀▀▄▄▄█*f_m██████   ██i!██!i███████
Y█████▄▄▄▄__. i██▀▀▀██████████ █!,██████
 8█  █▀▀█████.!██   ██████████i! █████
 '█  █  █   █W M█▄▄▄██████   ██ !██
  !███▄▄█   ██i'██████████   ██
   Y███████████.]██████████████
   █   ███████b ███   ██████
   Y   █   █▀▀█i!██   ████
    V███   █  █W Y█████
      ~~▀███▄▄▄█['███
            ~~*██

Play

│
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │   │  ███
   ███  │  ███
   ███ ███ ███
 │  ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███  │   │
███ ███  │   │
 │   │
 │

Trade

__▄▄████▄▄
     __▄▄███████████████▄▄▄
 _▄▄█████████▀▀~`,▄████████████▄▄▄
 ~▀▀████▀▀~`,_▄▄███████████████▀▀▀
   d█~  =▀███████████████▀▀
   ]█! m▄▄ '~▀▀▀████▀▀~~ ,_▄▄
  ,W█. *████▄▄__ '  __▄▄█████
  !██P  █████████████████████
   W█. - ██████████████████▀
  i██[   ~ ▀▀█████████▀▀▀
 g███!
Y███

Learn
[/tabl
RustyRyan (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 08:39:26 PM

300zx is heavy and has bad handling unless it's been done properly - kills people in the wet.  Expensive to maintain when things go wrong on the TT model.

Really? I've always heard good things about how 300zx's handle. Yeah the TT models are really hard to find these days with a reasonable amount of mileage. So far all I know about the drawbacks are bad fuel injectors and A/C issues.

Quote from: PatrickHarnett link=topic=100217.msg1095267#msg1095267 date=1344803141
S14's are nice - will be at the the silvia club track day in October.

Heheh very cool.

Bitcoin-otcPGP Key
RustyRyan (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 08:46:12 PM

Good idea man... Smiley
Thanks and welcome.

Bitcoin-otcPGP Key
PatrickHarnett

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 08:51:54 PM

Really? I've always heard good things about how 300zx's handle. Yeah the TT models are really hard to find these days with a reasonable amount of mileage. So far all I know about the drawbacks are bad fuel injectors and A/C issues.

When I was looking some while ago (um, about 10 years ago) I thought a 300zx would be a good buy and then started talking to various people about them and was put off by the comments about how they handle in the wet, and also the costs for when the turbo's go bang.  I do have a friend with a very nice one which he drives extremely well (and including on the occasional wet track days we have), but his skill level is pretty good - he's tinkering with it currently at around 415kw.

Anyway I ended up with an 96NA Supra at the time and later had the option to get a TT (since with a single conversion) and it's just rolled past 54000km (about 40k miles).

Most of the track days I do I end up playing with the GTRs and other Supras.
RustyRyan (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 09:25:04 PM

I don't even think I could ever dream of getting a Supra that isn't completely abused and modded to hell. I understand the sentiment, rarity, and it being a classic but if clean ones exist in my area, their owners have pretty impossible asking prices.

Seen any Skylines while your out there? I drool at the sight of that car.

Bitcoin-otcPGP Key
PatrickHarnett

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 09:40:35 PM

I don't even think I could ever dream of getting a Supra that isn't completely abused and modded to hell. I understand the sentiment, rarity, and it being a classic but if clean ones exist in my area, their owners have pretty impossible asking prices.

Seen any Skylines while your out there? I drool at the sight of that car.

Mines still in excellent condition because it wasn't driven for the first five years, and it had 16000 km on the clock when I got it basically as a one year old car.  Only gets light use.  Mods have been done carefully with nothing done to the body-work or motor (only some bolt on stuff) and the latest tune is pretty much maxed out the transmission.

The GTRs are mainly R32's and R34's (only a couple of the 33's).  We're getting more interest from the R35 owners to come to our private annual event day, but they are still tending to run their own sessions and are a bit down on power.  The S14 and S15 guys also tend to run in their own group, but there are some very nicely turned out cars from them.
RustyRyan (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 12:45:59 AM

Mines still in excellent condition because it wasn't driven for the first five years, and it had 16000 km on the clock when I got it basically as a one year old car.  Only gets light use.  Mods have been done carefully with nothing done to the body-work or motor (only some bolt on stuff) and the latest tune is pretty much maxed out the transmission.

The GTRs are mainly R32's and R34's (only a couple of the 33's).  We're getting more interest from the R35 owners to come to our private annual event day, but they are still tending to run their own sessions and are a bit down on power.  The S14 and S15 guys also tend to run in their own group, but there are some very nicely turned out cars from them.

You take your Supra to the track often? What kind of times are you running? Only seen a R34 once in person, pretty rare. Would love to have one someday.

Bitcoin-otcPGP Key
Gomeler

Activity: 697

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 03:57:37 AM

I'm going to assume you are in the United States.

If you have a garage and some spare monthly income for parts then the S14 is a great option. You should be able to pick up a decent one(they are all going to be beat to hell) for a few thousand dollars. Then you'll proceed to strip it down and rebuild it with fresh parts. The SR-20 motor swap, rear axle/LSD swap out of the J30, and the 300ZX TT brake swap are just a few of the things you'll want to do.

In the end the S14 is a cheap econobox with a ton of performance parts swapped in to it. It is going to creak. It is going to rattle. However, if treated properly it is going to be stupid fast. Depending where you live there might still be an active 240sx tuning community. It is definitely a dying platform though as the few remaining 240s are wrapped around poles and slammed in to walls.

The Mazda Miata is similar to the S14 with a huge community and a gigantic parts list available. Don't let the stigma of it being a "girly" car fool you. Mazda has put a ton of research in to making it one of the best handling cars on the planet. All it needs is 200-250whp and it's a go-kart.
mb300sd
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 05:08:47 AM

You can probably guess what I drive from my username.

So far I've only maxed out the stock IP and installed a manual boost controller and straight pipes, but I'm trying to get an adapter plate made so I can install the GT2256V I've had sitting around for years.

as for trading parts, I am extremely interested if anyone has a GT2359V for sale or access to a CNC mill or Bosch test bench.

1D7FJWRzeKa4SLmTznd3JpeNU13L1ErEco
wallet.dat

Activity: 253
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 04:27:47 PM

If you have a garage and some spare monthly income for parts then the S14 is a great option. You should be able to pick up a decent one(they are all going to be beat to hell) for a few thousand dollars. Then you'll proceed to strip it down and rebuild it with fresh parts. The SR-20 motor swap, rear axle/LSD swap out of the J30, and the 300ZX TT brake swap are just a few of the things you'll want to do.

In the end the S14 is a cheap econobox with a ton of performance parts swapped in to it. It is going to creak. It is going to rattle. However, if treated properly it is going to be stupid fast. Depending where you live there might still be an active 240sx tuning community. It is definitely a dying platform though as the few remaining 240s are wrapped around poles and slammed in to walls.

The Mazda Miata is similar to the S14 with a huge community and a gigantic parts list available. Don't let the stigma of it being a "girly" car fool you. Mazda has put a ton of research in to making it one of the best handling cars on the planet. All it needs is 200-250whp and it's a go-kart.
I like the 240SX platform, but finding one that isn't riced up or beat to hell (like there's a difference lol) is getting hard.  My buddy in Houston, TX has/had the fastest KA powered 240 for a while.  Not sure if the record has been broken since then.  Now he has a 2JZ in and is a lot faster.

@Patrick: There's nothing wrong with Honda.  They have some really well-engineered engines that are often years ahead of anybody else.  Ex. the B16A motor, which came out in the 80s, has port flow numbers that weren't matched by anything domestic until the LS1 (which coincidentally have almost exactly the same flow #s as a Mitsu 4G63 head, 1st gen).  Honda K-series have made close to 700whp without so much as removing the valve cover.  They feature fully bed-plated bottom ends, and a head that flows nearly 18% better than even a fully race-ported B16A head.  And Honda F20/F22 (S2000) head flows even better than that.  

Living in TX, there was a whole Honda group that was gunning for the big single Supras -- specifically SW.  I don't think anybody could ever really touch him short of T1 Tony, and as a whole we weren't successful.. BUT that left a lot of really REALLY fast Hondas.  But alas, there's only so much you can do with a FWD platform.  Highway roll-racing was the soup de jour, and for that you need big HP numbers.  It's easy enough to make 800whp+, but it's another thing to actually put it down to the ground, even with tires.  

I just need Bitcoin to take off so I can get one of those Underground Racing Gallardos.  Seriously, 1500whp+ in a platform that weighs little more than an Integra? SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

"MOOOOOOOM! THE MEATLOAF!!! F**K!"
tgmarks
Donator

Activity: 490

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 08:36:27 PM

I'm stoked to see this thread.  I drive a 2007 mitsubishi eclipse gt modded, but its stupid heavy.  The older second gen had some fun, fast versions, but most of those a beat to trash now.  What type of driving are you wanting to do?  Drag, drift, autocross, actual track time, or just a fun toy for all around?

RustyRyan (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 08:40:12 PM

I'm stoked to see this thread.  I drive a 2007 mitsubishi eclipse gt modded, but its stupid heavy.  The older second gen had some fun, fast versions, but most of those a beat to trash now.

Welcome Smiley. Yeah it's a shame that's the case with most cars worth driving.

Bitcoin-otcPGP Key
tgmarks
Donator

Activity: 490

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 08:43:16 PM

I am excited for the recently released Subaru BR-Z.  I think it has the potential to become a very popular modder and with huge part availability.  Although, brand new it is about double what you were trying to stay under.  I am betting Subaru releases a STI version next year also.

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 08:46:06 PM

I'll just say this much.... there's a reason that the Miata is the most tracked car in the US.  It also makes for a reliable, cheap, and fun daily-driver.  You can get a decent clean one for around $5k, then have lots of room in your budget left for upgrades for the track.  And it's easy to add a turbo if it's too slow for you stock.  Or take a look at the Mazdaspeed edition with a turbo from the factory.

I don't like the looks of them myself, but oh man, the drive is worth it!  And most other people who have driven them will tell you the same...
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 08:46:27 PM

I am excited for the recently released Subaru BR-Z.  I think it has the potential to become a very popular modder and with huge part availability.  Although, brand new it is about double what you were trying to stay under.  I am betting Subaru releases a STI version next year also.
+1, also excited!  Light cars are awesome.  Smiley
RustyRyan (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 08:58:10 PM

Yeah I'm eventually planning on putting some decent money into whichever car since most will at least need some tlc. You speaking from experience of owning one?

I completely acknowledge the efficiency of Miatas, I'm just one of those people that can't get over the look heheh.

But alas, there's only so much you can do with a FWD platform.
This.

Bitcoin-otcPGP Key
RustyRyan (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 09:02:54 PM

I am excited for the recently released Subaru BR-Z.  I think it has the potential to become a very popular modder and with huge part availability.  Although, brand new it is about double what you were trying to stay under.  I am betting Subaru releases a STI version next year also.

Yeah that and the FR-S have caught my eye, but I think I'd rather go with an older cheaper ride, one to fix up a bit, we'll see. Never really saw the difference between the FR-S and BRZ they have the exact straight line performance. Correct me if I'm wrong but the only difference I know of is the slightly better suspension in the FR-S. I think the BRZ has a few more bells and whistles but doesn't that make it a bit heavier than the other?

Bitcoin-otcPGP Key
BitBlitz

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

Turning money into heat since 2011.

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 11:37:49 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but the only difference I know of is the slightly better suspension in the FR-S.
I have a friend with a FR-S that has discussed the suspension, at length, with other BRZ/FR-S competitors.  The best description I've heard is that the FR-S and BRZ suspensions are close in overall handling, but the FR-S oversteers a bit easier, and the BRZ understeers easier.  The front/rear spring ratios are different between the two, but I don't recall the numbers.  Nobody seems to have a conclusion on which has better transitional handling.

I'll second a Miata as a cheap, reliable, track-able car.  I borrowed one to flog around a track last weekend.  Not the fastest in a straight line, but with good springs and shocks- they handle great!  We've had Corvette drivers leave our Autocross group because they were tired of having their asses handed to them by Miata drivers.

I see the value of Bitcoin, so I don't worry about the price...
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: