Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 09:59:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Decentralized Army  (Read 3415 times)
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 11:56:04 AM

takes a pilot to teach a pilot. don't know if they have an actual aircraft, tho.

But who has taught the initial pilot then?

Instructor+flying simulator and experience on the real one.

Most mercenary pilots are former members of regular armies. E.g in Mali many of the pilots are Ukrainian mercenaries, in the Eritrean–Ethiopian War Russian mercenaries flown the planes on both sides (!), but you can find South Africans as well all across Africa.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2015, 01:31:39 PM

There are already private armies, especially in the US. They have extensive rights and are used by the US Government regularly. Unfortunately, because they hire often ex soldiers who were discharged because of errors, these armies dont have the best men often. Leading to war crimes.

But when you think this will make something better for society then youre wrong. It only would mean that the people with the money will buy their military power. Only a more direct way than companies lobbying governments to make what they want to happen.

So no, this wouldnt lead to a better world i think.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2015, 01:45:54 PM

OP is proposing a network of mercenaries who accepts bitcoin as payment. I think mercs prefer hard cash.

why would they like cash more than bitcoin?
Same reason anyone else would, cash has over a hundred years of legitimacy momentum, bitcoin has five years of being mostly derided by the media and six months of positive.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 03:18:45 PM

An army is the most legitimate power of a country, to protect its citizens from foreign invaders. The Red Army, of workers and peasants, was supposed to be the people's army, but in the real world, it didn't prove to be any different from all other armies.

A decentralized army cannot exist. It would lose every war against regular armies with strong hierarchy, organization and discipline. No army can be successful without those 3 characteristics.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 08:48:30 PM

Hows about a decentralized army which instead of regular armies could protect their baker using the Darkleaks back-end code (www.darkleaks.com)?

People would pledge a small amount of bitcoin to claim a protection for an irregular army. This would ampute more power from governments who are illegitimate imao.

What do you think? Discuss.

I'm all for downsizing governments, but if you think current governments are illegitimate just wait and see what life is like under an "irregular army."

I would rather be in favor of downsizing the regular army of the nation I'm in, to oblivion, and replacing it with a volunteer militia, but still accountable to the laws and oversight of representative leaders of the country. Eliminating a regular army eliminates a toy that politicians like to play with too easily and cause mayhem and destruction with. Whereas militias are not going to go out on stupid foreign missions to feed some politician's delusions of grandeur.

Perhaps a system could be developed wherein stakeholders could vote for various competitive militia organizations, with funds being paid out for their budgets based on support levels in the voting. This could help maintain a professional caliber to the militia as any that cause problems would presumably lose public support and funding. Perhaps this is along the lines of what the OP was getting at.

But I would emphasize that the militia members and leaders must ultimately be fully accountable to the law, and not merely be able to act as they wish so long as they received some level of funding/support in such a scheme. I have on-and-off been involved with the American militia movement for the last 20+ years (and yes, I am actually from Michigan in that timeframe), used to have a pro-militia website in the 90's, etc., so this is something I've given some consideration.

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 09:44:15 PM

Mercenaries, warlord? No thanks.

Militia is what we need, like in Switzerland. Switzerland does not have an army, it is an army.

This way the government cannot use the army to fight the population.  Smiley

Truth is the new hatespeech.
calme

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 09:54:58 PM

but wait, if a country was an army like switzerland, how would they be able to carry out the functions of an army? things like setting up bases around the world, fighting off bad things like communism and holy wars, making profitable alliances overseas, etc.
duckydonald

Activity: 378

Pre-sale - March 18

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 10:05:56 PM

Dont worry P2P soldiers are on the way
bitcoinluv79

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 10:06:39 PM

Something like this would surely not sit well with the CIA/ US govt...
networthsigns

Activity: 448

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 10:38:10 PM

Mercenaries, warlord? No thanks.

Militia is what we need, like in Switzerland. Switzerland does not have an army, it is an army.

This way the government cannot use the army to fight the population.  Smiley

I agree no mercenaries are needed these guys can't be trusted and only call upon them when really needed but hopefully never and definitely not from Darkleaks lol.

The people of the country should be police army an government made up from themselves not who the government choose it to be made up by 'This is as close to decentralized army'.

The world is in a sorry state because we as the people of the planet has let it happen, they are a minority we are the majority and still we let them, we need to learn to protect ourselves and each other and not rely on anybody...
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 12:28:32 AM

Funding gangs of mercenaries is a bad idea and will leave us less secure. We need to encourage people to defend themselves and their families and become self reliant and educated rather than delegating their security to gangs who will take it away from them.

ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 02:15:35 AM

Dont we have enough security companies that do pretty much that what ure suggesting?
If you are thinking about a real army that is not possible afaik, because military equipement can mostly only be in possesion of government selected branch,
but i guess that depends on where u live. The whole thing seams pretty unwanted to me, i mean if u need security, hire a security company , anything else is an overkill.

cheers
LordSonjai

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 02:36:36 AM

OP is proposing a network of mercenaries who accepts bitcoin as payment. I think mercs prefer hard cash.

how the hell would you know what they prefer? 😭 Huh
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2015, 02:44:11 AM

With a currency that gives you the possibility to pay someone easily and anonymously, then a Decentralized Army are mostly crowdfunded traitors on the opposite attacking side Wink
When an Army is invading another place the motivation is mostly money and not ideals. So you can buy them, or some of them.

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 02:59:18 AM

omg. so ppl who hoard btc at three digit prices will be able to command fuckin' armies! we can even command robot armies

Only Emperor Satoshi gets to command large armies, also make sure you get inside before curfew, or Mark and the GoxBots will use you for target practice.

SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2015, 01:01:06 PM

but wait, if a country was an army like switzerland, how would they be able to carry out the functions of an army? things like setting up bases around the world, fighting off bad things like communism and holy wars, making profitable alliances overseas, etc.

Switzerland has more democracy than most countries, the citizens actually can decide whats going on in the country. Not loved by other governments of course since they want to lead the way their lobbyist companians want. Since they want the nice income job right after ending the political career.

The thing is... citizens mostly know how shitty war is. So they wont decide to send out their own sons to capture some oil in foreign countries. And so far it works fine for switzerland. They can defend themselfes since the citizens have to learn being a soldier at one time in their life.

So far i like this system.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
plopper50

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 04:35:03 PM

Switzerland has more democracy than most countries, the citizens actually can decide whats going on in the country. Not loved by other governments of course since they want to lead the way their lobbyist companians want. Since they want the nice income job right after ending the political career.

The thing is... citizens mostly know how shitty war is. So they wont decide to send out their own sons to capture some oil in foreign countries. And so far it works fine for switzerland. They can defend themselfes since the citizens have to learn being a soldier at one time in their life.

So far i like this system.

I always wondered how they managed to stay neutral during all the world wars. I thought it was because all the other countries needed some safe banks to stash their money in. I didn't know the citizens got to vote on going to war.
BootstrapCoinDev

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 07:31:02 PM

There already is. A lot of them choose to mine on gnash, and between all of them they control 100% of the network.
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2015, 07:52:37 PM

We have this in the USA, it is called the militia. Unfortunately the government does not like competition in their monopoly on the use of force, so it has been systematically attacked, dismantled, and cast as being made up of batshit rightwing terrorists.
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 08:17:06 PM

Decentralize security.

https://ghostgunner.net/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwRtll3jjU4
https://defdist.org/

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: