Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 05:07:48 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin overheats and crashes my computer  (Read 3510 times)
r3wt (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 11:53:25 AM

I think its safe to say that this model is unsustainable on consumer grade hardware. This is now the 10th time in 3 months ive had to complete resynch the chain. My computer doesn't have sufficient cooling to keep from overheating, and bitcoin happily overheats it in about 30 minutes. this only happens during syncing. any other time, bitcoin is fine if the wallet is already synced. also, i left it running overnight to resync after the crash. its been frozen on block 316268 since i got up, 2 hours ago. restarting the client does no good. still stuck.

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
goregrind

Activity: 149
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 12:12:47 PM

Are you using boostrap files for initial sync ?

woot?
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4074
Merit: 1303

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 01:13:50 PM

Hopefully not if 0.10.0 is being used.  r3wt, what version are you using? 
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 03:06:53 PM

Are you using a laptop?

If not what computer are you using?  I have never had one overheat from the just downloading the BTC chain.
Reynaldo
Legendary

Activity: 1143

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 03:45:42 PM

If you are using the latest version, 0.10, you shouldnt have any issue. Unless you are trying to mine with the bitcoin-core, i dont see a possible cause for overheating that relies on bitcoin as a cause, I would suggest that you look into other things that may be overheating your computer or at least give us more information about your issue.
r3wt (OP)

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 03:49:20 PM

Hopefully not if 0.10.0 is being used.  r3wt, what version are you using?  

yeah, i'm using 0.10.0

Are you using a laptop?

If not what computer are you using?  I have never had one overheat from the just downloading the BTC chain.

I am using a laptop. it has the i5-3230m which is designed to run at much higher temperatures, and offers decent performance and multitasking ability but for some reason bitcoin and skype really do a number on the machine, overheating it often. during syncing of bitcoin or videocall of skype it overheats and powers off. i've cleaned and reseated the heatsink twice to no avail.

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
OnkelPaul
Legendary

Activity: 1039
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 03:54:23 PM

Are you in any way overclocking it?
If not, this sounds like your machine is just broken. Shit happens Undecided
Check whether your laptop has software to manage temp by reducing the clock speed when CPU gets too hot - I think that many Windows laptops have somethign like that preinstalled.

Onkel Paul

MegaFall

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 04:08:40 PM

Sounds like it could be a graphics card issue; that's if it has a separate card? I had that with my desktop... The fan broke on the card and anything graphics intensive caused the card to overheat (105+ C) and within 10-20 minutes of turning on the computer would shut off.
r3wt (OP)

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 04:17:54 PM

Sounds like it could be a graphics card issue; that's if it has a separate card? I had that with my desktop... The fan broke on the card and anything graphics intensive caused the card to overheat (105+ C) and within 10-20 minutes of turning on the computer would shut off.

its got the built in intel graphics as far as i'm aware. every so often the driver crashes and restarts. i think its just a poor cooling design and a myriad of other problems probably. ive got it propped up right now with a box fan on my desk blowing full blast and its syncing bitcoin and the laptop is not overheating now. after this syncs, i'm gonna send all my coins to electrum and be done with the reference client. atleast until i can get a new computer.

lucasej

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 12:10:56 PM

buy the new computer on webhallen.com they accepts bitcoins. Tongue
Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3962
Merit: 2207

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2015, 12:28:38 PM

How is Bitcoin at fault here? You have a shitty computer. Get some proper cooling or buy a new one. My laptop has never had any problems with Bitcoin and I have an Nvidia GPU, which are known to become way to hot.

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

Advertisements are not endorsed by me.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 04:50:31 PM

How is Bitcoin at fault here? You have a shitty computer. Get some proper cooling or buy a new one. My laptop has never had any problems with Bitcoin and I have an Nvidia GPU, which are known to become way to hot.

You were much more blunt that I was Smiley but it is a valid question.

Unless he is mining I can't imagine laptop overheating for just running bitcoin core.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 06:08:12 PM

well it seems strange because it show only 59%, it shouldn't overheat at that % of usage, maybe there is some problem with your OS, could be software related
r3wt (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 12:19:41 AM

eh its a pretty bad ass computer, it just doesn't have sufficient cooling. the cpu is designed to run between 100-105 C the internal design doesn't allow enough airflow. it has only one small opening on the side to vent heat

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 12:25:26 AM

eh its a pretty bad ass computer, it just doesn't have sufficient cooling. the cpu is designed to run between 100-105 C the internal design doesn't allow enough airflow. it has only one small opening on the side to vent heat

What model computer are you using?  That is very very hot seems like possibly defective.
r3wt (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 12:30:19 AM

What model computer are you using?  That is very very hot seems like possibly defective.
i5 3230m. i had a lenovo with the same processor. loved it. this one is an Acer, purchased it from the bitcoinstore back in the day

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 12:57:41 AM

i5 3230m. i had a lenovo with the same processor. loved it. this one is an Acer, purchased it from the bitcoinstore back in the day

Has it always been this bad on heat?  It just seems like maybe it's dirty and needs dusted out, or fan's are not up to original spec.  I have had an asus gaming laptop (it as a while back) but never had it get heat so bad from CPU, it was GPU that really heated up.
r3wt (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 01:02:09 AM

Has it always been this bad on heat?  It just seems like maybe it's dirty and needs dusted out, or fan's are not up to original spec.  I have had an asus gaming laptop (it as a while back) but never had it get heat so bad from CPU, it was GPU that really heated up.
no, not really. i remember about 6 months ago i was on a skype call for several hours and the pc just died. now it gets very hot for bitcoin syncing and skype calls. everything else it runs fine. my only guess is it either needs cleaning or has some hardcore malware i haven't been able to find

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 01:05:36 AM

What model computer are you using?  That is very very hot seems like possibly defective.

Has it always been this bad on heat?  It just seems like maybe it's dirty and needs dusted out, or fan's are not up to original spec.  I have had an asus gaming laptop (it as a while back) but never had it get heat so bad from CPU, it was GPU that really heated up.
no, not really. i remember about 6 months ago i was on a skype call for several hours and the pc just died. now it gets very hot for bitcoin syncing and skype calls. everything else it runs fine. my only guess is it either needs cleaning or has some hardcore malware i haven't been able to find

Assuming its out of warrenty I would open it up and check air pathways, most gaming laptops seem to have two pathawys.  I would use canned air to push the dust and dirt OUT don't spray it where dust comes in.  

After that I would really check fan's make sure they spin good.  If they have problems try to oil them, if oiling does not work then you might need to replace.
emrebey

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 09:11:21 AM

you should clean it. you will be surprised the performance after the cleaning.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: