Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:20:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Virtual Realty: a protocol for turning bitcoin into space  (Read 709 times)
zowqonqg (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 01:05:42 PM

For a few weeks, I have been working on a new protocol on top of the Bitcoin blockchain. It is similar to Colored Coins, but instead of defining a new fungible asset on top of bitcoin, it defines a non-fungible asset in the form of a set of points in space.

I have written a whitepaper that describes this protocol, along with a proof-of-concept implementation in PHP. I have also used this implementation to compute the cadastral map of the Great Pizza Transaction and rendered it as an animated GIF.

Right now, I'm in the process of writing a daemon that keeps track of the cadastral maps of a set of spaces in real-time, including backtracking in case of forks and fast trustless sharing of new spaces. But the hard part is defining a different protocol to allow for the specification of space contents: the idea is that the owner of a piece of space can sign a message to specify its contents and broadcast it to a peer-to-peer network.

I'm a bit stuck on this problem of space contents, so I was wondering if anyone here would be interested in discussing it with me.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
overcoin

Activity: 53

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 02:42:16 PM

I've been thinking about similar concept for couple of months. Glad someone else is thinking along these lines as well.

To have space you have to have dimensions. Current blockchain is 1D space. Time is measured in blocks. Cadastral map based on blockchain is 2D space. To have a digital reality (not virtual) you have to figure out 3D space based on the blockchain. What will be the third dimension?
zowqonqg (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 02:29:29 AM

I like the term "digital reality" Smiley

I chose the name "virtual realty" as a humorous pun, but It's seems clear to me that we are moving beyond "virtual space" in just the same way that bitcoin is not a "virtual currency": because it is not controlled by any one entity, it can be said to obey "natural laws" (albeit human-chosen ones) and thus, it can be argued to be "real" rather than "virtual".

As for 3D space, I don't think it's much different from 2D space: you can just extend space-filling curves to 3D space.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: