Bitcoin Forum
September 04, 2024, 11:15:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why did this one transaction get 48 confirmations so far?  (Read 783 times)
Cataclysmic (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 02:59:05 AM

Please check out this page: http://blockchain.info/address/1K563Jeki3qtJrfv8BR6LLeG1ioK13K3td

This screenshot shows you what my questions below are referring to --> http://screencast.com/t/N4pdoAmJdv7v

Why does that button appear that says "48 Confirmations"?
Why were there 48 confirmations (I thought only 6 were necessary)?
Why does nothing happen when I click that button?

Thanks...
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 03:03:06 AM

There is no max # of confirmations.

When a tx is included in a block that is 1 confirmation.  When another block is added to the blockchain it is 2 confirmations.  Another block = 3 confirmations.

100 blocks later = 100 confirmations.
210,000 blocks later = 210,000 confirmations.

The number of confirmations simply indicates how "deep" the tx is inside the blockchain and thus how difficult it would be to reverse.

Just because 6 is considered "very hard to reverse" doesn't mean confirmations stop at 6.  As long as new blocks are added the blockchain the number of confirmations will increase. 

I am not sure what you are asking?
Cataclysmic (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 03:24:04 AM

There is no max # of confirmations.

When a tx is included in a block that is 1 confirmation.  When another block is added to the blockchain it is 2 confirmations.  Another block = 3 confirmations.

100 blocks later = 100 confirmations.
210,000 blocks later = 210,000 confirmations.

The number of confirmations simply indicates how "deep" the tx is inside the blockchain and thus how difficult it would be to reverse.

Just because 6 is considered "very hard to reverse" doesn't mean confirmations stop at 6.  As long as new blocks are added the blockchain the number of confirmations will increase. 

I am not sure what you are asking?

I understand completely.  Thanks again for your help.  I thought, when I saw 48 confirmations, that for some reason 6 confirmations was not good enough for that particular transaction for some reason, so more were required more to REALLY confirm it.  I understand now.  Thanks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: