Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 03:58:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Staking altcoins on a VPS?  (Read 1358 times)
djemphol (OP)

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 10:36:02 AM

I just learned about staking, and I have a few Pos coins with a pretty big balance. However, I cannot keep my laptop online at all times. Does anyone know of a place where I can rent a VPS with bitcoin? I know there are some out there, but are they compatible with my needs? For example, would it be possible to keep 5/6/7 wallets open 24/7 on the VPS?

| xrp | xcp |
Slaphead

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 01:38:54 PM

Do VPS companies complain if you are using 100% CPU 24/7?

Some PoS coins don't use 100% CPU, but some do.
fast2fix
Legendary

Activity: 1612
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 01:58:20 PM
Last edit: March 26, 2015, 06:03:23 PM by fast2fix

I just learned about staking, and I have a few Pos coins with a pretty big balance. However, I cannot keep my laptop online at all times. Does anyone know of a place where I can rent a VPS with bitcoin? I know there are some out there, but are they compatible with my needs? For example, would it be possible to keep 5/6/7 wallets open 24/7 on the VPS?
you can buy vps with bitcoins at (https://server-cloud.com/en/vps), i don't know if you'll be able to open 5 wallet at once. just chat with them and ask if you can?
iGotSpots
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1054

CPU Web Mining 🕸️ on webmining.io

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2015, 05:16:16 PM

If you use any of our coins, you can use GorillaStake.com instead of a vps (cheaper, too)

lucasjkr

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 02:31:25 PM

Do VPS companies complain if you are using 100% CPU 24/7?

Some PoS coins don't use 100% CPU, but some do.

Staking doesn't use any cpu, that's one of its primary "advantages"

To OP: there are vps companies that take Bitcoin, yes. Whether you'll make enough from staking to pay for the hosting us a different story - Youd need a huge amount of coins to do that.
rocoro
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 03:29:44 PM

You really feel comfortable typing in your password to enable staking on a VPS? 

Not very smart.

They could easily be monitoring that vps,  and run away with your coins.

d0om

Activity: 171
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 04:40:19 PM

Not very smart.

Why are you using shady-ass VPS services to begin with...? There's your problem.

lucasjkr

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 05:03:23 PM

Not very smart.

You don't need to share any passwords, make a password unique to the wallet you're staking with and that's all they could possibly get access to. As for VPS admins upping and stealing your coins, yes, that's a possibility... likely remote, so long as you use a reputable vendor.
rocoro
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 05:55:49 PM

Not very smart.

They could easily be monitoring that vps,  and run away with your coins.

You don't need to share any passwords, make a password unique to the wallet you're staking with and that's all they could possibly get access to. As for VPS admins upping and stealing your coins, yes, that's a possibility... likely remote, so long as you use a reputable vendor.

You need to unlock the wallet in order to stake.   That means typing your password to however method you are connecting to the VPS.
The wallet.dat also needs to be on the VPS.   So they will have access to both.  Have coins, will travel.

Unless I'm misunderstanding how OP plans to stake via VPS,  I don't see any other way.

lucasjkr

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 06:25:05 PM

Yes, but so long as you're not reusing passwords, all thats at risk is the coins on the VPS, not all your coins everywhere. And again, so long as you're using bit/reputable VPS providers as opposed to those $15/year providers, I'd have no problem trusting them with some coins...

Of course better option would just be to create a local VM and stake locally, but if that's not an option for OP for whatever reason, then an amazon, Azure or similar VPS would seem fine (in my mind)
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2015, 06:27:03 PM

Not very smart.

Thank you for this friendly security reminder.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: