Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 12:17:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BitDraw - Bitcoin Raffles and Lotteries  (Read 5744 times)
dustintrammell (OP)
VIP

Activity: 156
Merit: 103

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 07:16:02 AM
Last edit: September 05, 2012, 12:32:09 AM by dustintrammell

I am proud to announce the launch of BitDraw, the Bitcoin community's new premier raffle and lottery site.  BitDraw provides both ongoing and one-shot raffle and lottery style games for your enjoyment. Create an account, deposit some Bitcoin to receive gaming tokens (TKN), and use those tokens to buy tickets to the games. Cash out your winnings at any time by converting tokens back to Bitcoin.  The exchange rate for BTC to TKN is 1:1000.

To celebrate the launch of our site, we've scheduled some promotional one-shot raffles for the following prizes over the next month or so:

2012.08.13 - 2012.08.20 : Casascius ฿10 Silver Round (10 BTC 1 Troy Ounce .999 Fine Silver Round with Gold Bitcoin Logo) (Raffle)

2012.08.13 - 2012.08.24 : 1 Troy Ounce .999 Fine Silver Liberty Dollar (historical, discontinued, and rare!) (Raffle)

2012.08.20 - 2012.08.27 : Casascius ฿25 Coin (Raffle)

2012.08.27 - 2012.08.31 : 1 year subscription to Bitcoin Magazine (Raffle)

Multiple Raffles (check the site!) : Casascius ฿5 Coin

Come on over to the site, create an account, and enter the raffles!  In addition to the promotional raffles linked above, we have both daily and weekly raffles and lotteries that pay out in the intra-site virtual currency, tokens (TKN).  Don't forget, you can increase your odds of winning by buying multiple tickets to a single game!

"But Dustin", you ask, "how do we know this isn't some scam and you're some evil scammer?  How do we know the drawings aren't rigged?  What about SECURITY???"  Good questions!

First, you know who I am.  I'm very public on the Internet.  You can find out all about me at my personal website or follow me on Twitter.  The account I'm posting this under is in my real name.  Look, that's my real face over there!  I'm also known by the handle I)ruid, under which I have an OTC rating. The domain bitdraw.com is registered in my real name.  The SSL certificate authority that issued our site certificate has verified my identity.

Second, the random bits of data used for our random number generation is pulled from random.org, an unbiased, independend third party who's entire purpose is to provide truely random data to the Internet community.  True randomness is important because machines are notoriously bad at being random.  In fact, with enough data to analyze, they can be quite predictible in their "randomness", which is very, very bad for certain purposes like raffle and lottery drawings.  Therefore, instead of using a potentially predictable pseudo-random number generator (PRNG) like is provided by most operating systems and programming languages, we use a proven source of truely random data for our drawings.  Further, the winning raffle ticket or lottery values, as well as a list of all of the tickets purchased, are displayed on each game page for your own verification after the game closes.  While we don't disclose identifiable user information on who purchased tickets and the winners, there is enough information for each user to determine which tickets in the pool they purchased and whether or not theirs was the winner.  We also invite winners of the games to post here in this thread if they do not mind identifying themselves.  We will build the option for winners to identify themselves directly into the site in a future version.

Finally, we know how important security is to the Bitcoin community.  With the last couple years' track record of service site hacks, scammers claiming to be hacked and running off with the users' funds, password database leaks, and the like, we have taken a number of significant steps from the beginning to ensure that our service has as much integrity as possible.  Some of BitDraw's current security features include:

• The entire site is wrapped in SSL, all the time.  This ensures that you know that your browser is connected to the legitimate site and that communications and data in transit such as your authentication credentials are protected from prying eyes on the Internet.
  • The site employs an entirely offline Bitcoin wallet.  Bitcoins deposited at BitDraw are sent to an offline wallet and withdrawals are processed manually and only after the withdrawal is confirmed by the user via response to a PGP-signed email. While a bit slower than instant withdrawal, your Bitcoins themselves are completely safe in the event that the BitDraw site itself is hacked or becomes otherwise compromised.
  • BitDraw stores passwords securely and enforces a strong password policy.  Our password policy requires passwords to be 12 characters long and have at least one upper case character, one lower case character, one number and one symbol. Passwords are stored as a salted SHA-512 hash.

We hope that these initial disclosures and security precautions allow you to comfortably game with our service.  If you have any questions, would like clarifications on any of these points, or would like to report a bug, please comment in the thread below or email us directly at the addresses listed on our Contact Page.  To report a security issue, please contact us directly via email to security [at] bitdraw.com.  You can also follow us on Twitter for status updates and announcements.

We hope that you enjoy BitDraw, and good luck!

Dustin D. Trammell
Twitter: @druidian
PGP: E0DC F55C 9386 1691 A67F FB18 F6D9 5E52 FDA6 6E16

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dustintrammell (OP)
VIP

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 07:16:52 AM
Last edit: September 04, 2012, 03:15:32 AM by dustintrammell

You can now follow us on Twitter!

Quick-reference Promotional Raffle Links:

Post-Launch Issues:
  • We're getting reports that some versions of Firefox and the Android browser do not like our SSL certificate.  If you see this, please report your browser and version so that we can track down exactly what the problem is.  Chrome, Safari, and IE appear to be unaffected.

Post-Launch Bugfixes:
  • Registration confirmation email link now correctly goes to HTTPS site.
  • Password reset option added to login page.

Dustin D. Trammell
xchrix

Activity: 905
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 07:29:08 AM

site is looking good! i registered but man: that password input is a bit of a pain Wink very long and many restrictions. if i want to use an insecure password than why not? its my fault Smiley i think its not a good idea to force the user this hard..

btw: where do you get this "html template" ?? i see this design on many many bitcoin sites... is it freely available?
xchrix

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 07:31:53 AM

it also took me long to find the bitcoin address for funding. maybe a link to "fund my account" or something else?
dustintrammell (OP)
VIP

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 07:44:26 AM

site is looking good! i registered but man: that password input is a bit of a pain Wink very long and many restrictions. if i want to use an insecure password than why not? its my fault Smiley i think its not a good idea to force the user this hard..

I would rather our user accounts not get brute force hacked in the first place.  Besides, you are using a secure password manager, aren't you? (:

btw: where do you get this "html template" ?? i see this design on many many bitcoin sites... is it freely available?

If I recall correctly it's a Ruby on Rails standard template.  I'll see if our lead developer wants to chime in here on the technical details.

Dustin D. Trammell
dustintrammell (OP)
VIP

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 07:45:36 AM

it also took me long to find the bitcoin address for funding. maybe a link to "fund my account" or something else?

We could add a "Funding" link under the username drop-down menu, but it would essentially go to the same page as the "Profile" link currently does, the user's profile.  That would seem fairly redundant, no?

Dustin D. Trammell
koin
Legendary

Activity: 873
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 08:06:41 AM

deposit some Bitcoin to receive gaming tokens (TKN), and use those tokens to buy ticketsope that you enjoy BitDraw, and good luck![/b]

why is it such a big secret to say how much tokens cost?  such as one bitcoin is equivalent to x tokens.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 08:10:43 AM

I just registered. I tried my password 3 times, couldn't get in, checked email, ahha have to activate, clicked it, went to site, still says bad login, copy/pasted link, still no dice. Am I losing my mind?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 08:11:24 AM

deposit some Bitcoin to receive gaming tokens (TKN), and use those tokens to buy ticketsope that you enjoy BitDraw, and good luck![/b]

why is it such a big secret to say how much tokens cost?  such as one bitcoin is equivalent to x tokens.

Does it matter? You're going to get X BTC worth of tokens. Anything but a power of 10 is probably silly. And I guess if it is non-linear that's an issue.

dustintrammell (OP)
VIP

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 08:24:56 AM

Does it matter? You're going to get X BTC worth of tokens. Anything but a power of 10 is probably silly. And I guess if it is non-linear that's an issue.

It's no secret, the exchange rate is listed on your profile page, right below your deposit and withdrawal addresses.  For the record, the exchange rate is 1000 TKN to 1 BTC, or 1000:1.  We'll also add the exchange rate to the FAQ for non-registered visitors.

Dustin D. Trammell
dustintrammell (OP)
VIP

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 08:25:47 AM

I just registered. I tried my password 3 times, couldn't get in, checked email, ahha have to activate, clicked it, went to site, still says bad login, copy/pasted link, still no dice. Am I losing my mind?

That is strange.  Please try the password reset function now that your account is activated.  If that doesn't work, please email support [at] bitdraw.com with your account details and we'll look into it.

Dustin D. Trammell
xchrix

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 08:30:15 AM

I would rather our user accounts not get brute force hacked in the first place.  Besides, you are using a secure password manager, aren't you? (:

nope.. everything is in my huge brain Wink normally i am using very long passwords with only words and not numbers or symbols.. like this: https://xkcd.com/936/

yes the "add funds" would link to the same page. its redundant but for the user which is searching for this site it would be much easier to find. with the link "profile" i am thinking of "editing my personal data" or "seeing a profile page of my account"... thats not really straightforward.. the FIRST ACTION you want to be done by an logged in user is funding! so why make it this hard Wink
dustintrammell (OP)
VIP

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 08:35:48 AM

nope.. everything is in my huge brain Wink normally i am using very long passwords with only words and not numbers or symbols.. like this: https://xkcd.com/936/

Bonus points to you for using very long passwords.  Unfortunately most people aren't as diligent and we must force them to be.  Perhaps we'll code in an exception to the complexity rules for passwords exceeding 20 characters (:

yes the "add funds" would link to the same page. its redundant but for the user which is searching for this site it would be much easier to find. with the link "profile" i am thinking of "editing my personal data" or "seeing a profile page of my account"... thats not really straightforward.. the FIRST ACTION you want to be done by an logged in user is funding! so why make it this hard Wink

Perhaps we can link the Balance indicator next to the username drop-down to the profile page as well.  Then just clicking the balance would take you to the deposit and withdrawal addresses.  Do you think that would be more intuitive than doubling up links under the username drop-down menu?

Dustin D. Trammell
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 08:58:08 AM

Maybe I should do this in the morning, I don't see password reset anywhere on the webpage or in the email.

dustintrammell (OP)
VIP

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 09:08:34 AM

Maybe I should do this in the morning, I don't see password reset anywhere on the webpage or in the email.

There should be a link to initiate a password reset when you fail authentication.

Dustin D. Trammell
dustintrammell (OP)
VIP

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 09:11:49 AM

There should be a link to initiate a password reset when you fail authentication.

Hrm, looks like that link is missing.  We'll get that fixed ASAP so you can attempt to reset your password via email.

Dustin D. Trammell
dustintrammell (OP)
VIP

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2012, 04:57:46 PM

The password reset form is now on the login page.  Please give that a try and let us know if you are still unable to log into your account.

Dustin D. Trammell
dustintrammell (OP)
VIP

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2012, 06:22:19 AM

It's Twitter Bootstrap.  I was wrong when I said before it had to do with Rails, it's entirely CSS/images/HTML.

Dustin D. Trammell
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2012, 08:34:00 AM

Am I the only one having trouble?

I tried my password again, using both my email and username, still failed. So I clicked the reset link, set it to what I thought it was, tried to log in, still fail.

Tried to reset again via the link, I guess it is one time use?

Tried to request reset again and the email is not coming.

ericrw14

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 12:26:16 PM

i also cannot login even after the reset
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: