Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 09:20:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I want firstbits key pair for 1gig  (Read 8515 times)
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 03:56:08 PM

that's ridiculous. e.g. sites like blockchain.info don't query this "firstbit database". there is a set of rules which determine the firstbit address and that's it.

I don't think that this is correct as I have created vanity addresses whose "firstbits" don't show up on blockchain.info until sometimes as many as 10 confirmations (which is when they seem to first appear on firstbits.com).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
drakahn

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 03:57:53 PM

of course, it may also be possible to generate a new 1gig address and ask firstbits to change 1gig to your one, making the case that you would actually use it.
that's ridiculous. e.g. sites like blockchain.info don't query this "firstbit database". there is a set of rules which determine the firstbit address and that's it.

what you think about is something like btc.to
I cannot imagine it would be hard to add the ability to do as I said, and if I was running the site I would do it, But then, I would have had it from the start, to deal with copyright claims and the such which will come as bitcoins grow in popularity, if 1coke is already gone do you think coke would just allow me to list 1coke as an address that isn't theirs? not to mention if there was a demand I could monetise the registration of firstbits on top of the "ruleset"
And for something like 1gig that is useful to the OP but being taken up by an unused and possibly lost address... Its just silly to say "THEMS THE RULES"
I also never said blockchain.info queries firstbits, no idea what you are smoking with that one

of course, it may also be possible to generate a new 1gig address and ask firstbits to change 1gig to your one, making the case that you would actually use it.

Would you rely on firstbits if someone could change it?  Vanity addresses are a bad idea but firstbits only works if the addresses are deterministic.  1gig will always be the first address beginning with 1gig that had a tx in the blockchain.
If it is stuck on an unused account and changed to a used one, sure its fine to change them, in the case mentioned above where it could be monetised, "unregistered" firstbits would be listed as such, and subject to change should someone register it
"Vanity addresses are a bad idea"? and firstbits only work if the addresses are deterministic? what? ... please explain.

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 03:58:42 PM

OK, I agree, now it is silly.  

But what ever happened to the addresses that start with 3? Did that BIP ever pass?  Is it deployed yet?  What is the schedule?

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 04:02:25 PM

Who owns 1GiGKdNCywjPxdXEg6PbPtXWYNZStFoSfr?

I am interested in this address and the keypair that goes along with it.

Who owns this address?

If I had the key and gave it to you, you would have to trust me to destroy it and not use it to steal your funds at some point in the future.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 04:02:56 PM

speaking of firstbits, someone reserved a shit ton of them with some common words back a year ago
http://blockchain.info/tx-index/1089526/92eef0f0a860e295001d0b4fbdcd5ffb49b60f08bd3a54215da9cfc67fd9d9e5

just found it by querying some of mine vangen addies. gotta move few satoshies to few that didn't show up yet.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 04:04:54 PM

Sooo.. with all the spam from people reserving "first"bits, how about creating a service for "second"bits? Grin

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1520

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 04:08:30 PM

Who owns 1GiGKdNCywjPxdXEg6PbPtXWYNZStFoSfr?

I am interested in this address and the keypair that goes along with it.

Who owns this address?

If I had the key and gave it to you, you would have to trust me to destroy it and not use it to steal your funds at some point in the future.

good point!

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 04:08:46 PM

If it is stuck on an unused account and changed to a used one, sure its fine to change them, in the case mentioned above where it could be monetised, "unregistered" firstbits would be listed as such, and subject to change should someone register it  

Who determines "stuck in an unused address"?  Say I have FirstBits address 1Crypto. I go to jail for 20 years but during those 20 years people keep sending funds to 1Crypto.  When I get out I learn that oops 19.9 years ago someone got 1Crypto changed to a different address.

Now lets make it more complicated.  Right now the way firstbit works is every client, website, user who uses firstbits SCANS the blockchain to find the first usage of an address matching the prefix.   There is no communication required to a central authority or a list of unregistered addresses.  

Say genuinely 1gig could be reassigned.  How do you notify every user on the planet using a variety of websites, exchanges, clients that 1gig not points to a different address?  What if some of those users are running clients which aren't updated?  They keep sending funds to the wrong address?

"Vanity addresses are a bad idea"?
They break the psuedo-anonymity of the bitcoin address scheme.

and firstbits only work if the addresses are deterministic? what? ... please explain.

deterministic as in from now until the end of time the "firstbit" of every single bitcoin address can be determined with nothing but an algorithm and the blockchain.  If addresses could be reserved, or assigned, or reassigned that wouldn't be possible. 

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 04:10:37 PM
Last edit: August 13, 2012, 04:21:34 PM by DeathAndTaxes

Sooo.. with all the spam from people reserving "first"bits, how about creating a service for "second"bits? Grin

I know you are joking but I think other people do have this misconception that you "reserve" a first bit address.  You don't.  Every new address added to the blockchain can have their first bit address calculated based on a set of rules.

Simplistically to find the firstbit (F) for any address (A):
1) scan the blockchain for A.  If A is not in the blockchain or doesn't have 6 confirmations on its first tx then it has no firstbit.  F = null
2) Find the first tx of A and record the block number (b) that it occurs in.
3) Create the smallest potential firstbit pattern (f) for A.  f = 4 leftmost digits of A.
4) Scan the blockchain (from block 0 to block b) for any address which matches the pattern f.
5) If a match if found then add one digit to f and goto step 4
6) If no match is found then F(A)=f (the pattern f is the firstbit for address A)
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 04:39:32 PM
Last edit: August 13, 2012, 04:54:44 PM by BkkCoins

D&T is right. There is no database for firstbits.
It is simply the first address found in the blockchain that fully matches the firstbit prefix (non case sensitive). An address is reserved by sending coin to it so that it gets included in a block.

I remember when FreeMoney first came up with the idea and made the site. It was right around the time I first heard of bitcoin. First described here,

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=16217.0

Personally I'd go for 1gigabit. It's not in the chain yet and has a 50% chance of being found within 9 days on my mining rig. So that would cost me 3.69 BTC. Nah, not going to bother.

Silly would be... 1gigg1e - 50% chance in 6 hours and not currently in use.

I think my best one is 1e111.

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 04:49:58 PM

One of my favorites that I own (but it dates me) is: 1xyzzy

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 05:12:37 PM
Last edit: August 13, 2012, 05:39:11 PM by DeathAndTaxes

Personally I'd go for 1gigabit. It's not in the chain yet and has a 50% chance of being found within 9 days on my mining rig. So that would cost me 3.69 BTC. Nah, not going to bother.

It would require also finding and funding an address for 1gigabi first.  If you found a 1gigabitxxxxxxx address and funded it then it would be assigned the firstbit of 1gigabi.  Since finding a 1gigabi is less computationally intensive one could find an address with that prefix and send it a satoshi to act as a placeholder.  Luckily 1giga, 1gigab already exist otherwise they also would need to be found.

Incorrect.  Had a brain fart this morning.
BkkCoins

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 05:23:42 PM

It would require also finding and funding an address for 1gigabi first.  If you found a 1gigabitxxxxxxx address and funded it then it would be assigned the firstbit of 1gigabi.  Since finding a 1gigabi is less computationally intensive one could find an address with that prefix and send it a satoshi to act as a placeholder.  Luckily 1giga, 1gigab already exist otherwise they also would need to be found.

If you put money on 1gigabit..... then you would automatically also have 1gigabi since it would be the first occurrence of the partial. You can always use more characters in your firstbit than needed as long as they match your real address.

rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 05:25:36 PM

If you put money on 1gigabit..... then you would automatically also have 1gigabi since it would be the first occurance of all these partials. You can always use more characters in your firstbit than needed as long as they match your real address.
Yep, my 1Freenode address covers a few other prefixes that weren't there when I generated it.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
BkkCoins

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 05:27:55 PM

Yep, my 1Freenode address covers a few other prefixes that weren't there when I generated it.
How long did that one take you to find?

rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 05:32:57 PM

How long did that one take you to find?
Less than a day on a 3x5870 rig, I actually found 2 of them.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 05:37:29 PM

I don't think that this is correct as I have created vanity addresses whose "firstbits" don't show up on blockchain.info until sometimes as many as 10 confirmations (which is when they seem to first appear on firstbits.com).

The only way a firstbits address can changeis a blockchain reorganization. Firstbits.com waits for confirmations because we don't want to tell you your firstbits until it's very solid, like Gox doesn't want to credit your account until so many confirmations, they have the coins, and your address has it's firstbits, we're just not telling you yet.

To be super clear. Firstbits.com or any other correct implementation (like blockchain.info) does not decide your firstbits, we just report what the algorithm comes up with after looking in the chain.  

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 05:47:23 PM

Would 3gig be good enough for you?  Just curious.

there are addresses that start with 3?
It has been a while since I looked into it but a while back that was the designation for a script based address.  If still true then eventually there will be addresses that start with 3.  Others that keep up on these things more than I can answer the question.
There are 3-prefixed addresses in common use. For example, this one. 3gig is not yet taken.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 06:03:36 PM

To add to what FreeMoney said, the firstbits of an address will never change, and the address related to a particular firstbits will never change.  The only exception to this would be if there was a major reorg of the blockchain (rewriting at least 7 prior blocks), but I think we would have more serious issues with Bitcoin to deal with if something like that were to happen.
unclemantis (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 06:43:44 PM

Looks like I started a shit storm Smiley Good to know I am not the only one going nuts! Smiley

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: