Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 12:04:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it safe to keep your coins in Bitstamp?  (Read 8015 times)
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 01:27:06 PM

As the title asks, is it safe to store your coins in Bitstamp's online wallet?

I also don't suggest you to keep 1 satoshi in any exchange, I always recommend to send the coin/s >> exchange them for FIAT (or viceversa) and withdraw it/them fastly (less then 10 minutes of work).
Have you heard about the various hack (firstly the mt.gox , the huge loss of 850'000 btc) and bitstamp, bter, etc ?
you dont need to withdraw it 10 minutes after you can keep it for a few days in my opinion as those problems dont happen too often

No, I don't trust any exchange to keep my bitcoin. Because an exchange is not a bank, wake up! Bitcoin is another thing, as a lot of users said : be your own bank. Don't be a stupid and don't keep never your coin on an exchange, it is not safe for (obviously) you and all the ecosystem.
Minerjoe

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 01:52:20 PM

As the title asks, is it safe to store your coins in Bitstamp's online wallet?

Why would you keep your coins in an online wallet which can be hacked and if fact was already hacked once. Cold storage s the best option or a specialized wallet like trezor.

chmod755
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1020

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2015, 02:53:17 PM

Move them to your own wallet, unless you're planning to trade them on Bitstamp very soon.

Make sure to install all security updates for applications on your computer before you install bitcoin-related software + update your anti-malware software and scan your system.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 03:49:00 PM

Keeping coins on an exchange has two main risks:  Theft by third parties, and problems with the exchange itself.

If you use 2FA, you are reasonably safe from hackers but I wouldn't keep large amounts there.

poncom

Activity: 318

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 04:01:06 PM

Keeping coins on an exchange has two main risks:  Theft by third parties, and problems with the exchange itself.

If you use 2FA, you are reasonably safe from hackers but I wouldn't keep large amounts there.

I would not trust Bitstamp, or any exchange for long term storage. The only way to trade is to deposit coins which makes it inevitable you have to store them on an exchange for short spells. After trading I would immediately withdraw them.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2015, 04:07:09 PM

Well if you remembered the story of Mt.Gox or similar exchanges, that would give you an answer. If you store coins on a address of which you do not know the private keys, the money is not yours.
Remember the days of Inputs.io, and similar. It is not recommended that you keep bigger amounts of money in online wallets, exchanges or any service that is.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Minerjoe

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 08:30:03 PM

Maybe he plans this due to ability to set buy/sell triggers. Still I do not think this is a smart idea.

dhimasnk

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 10:28:15 PM

it is not advisable to save bitcoin in an exchanger, because the site is very prone to hackers compromised. Better save your bitcoin at offline wallet to make it secure

BUY LOW/SELL HIGH
24/7 TRADING BOT  GUNBOT  THE AUTOMATIC PROFIT GENERATOR FOR POLONIEX
LIMITED EDITION NOW AVAILABLE FOR KRAKEN AND BITTREX  My bitcoin address: 37xyZGoqmkeTTatsWcnFJS4iL4xdE4Cuia + wex.nz codes at Peermarketer@gmail.com
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2015, 11:08:20 PM

No, it's not safe. Over half of Bitcoin exchanges have failed, usually taking the coins with them.

It doesn't matter how good they seem to be. A lot of exchanges looked safe and reliable right up until you couldn't withdraw.
Script

Activity: 263
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2015, 11:10:41 PM

If you're planning storing them for long time don't leave them in any exchange.

❰❰❰ GREENPAPER █████   TERRAGREEN   █████  ANN THREAD ❱❱❱
●●● ▬▬ Facebook  ❰❰❰  Blockchain Based Renewable Energy Platform  ❱❱❱  LinkedIn ▬▬ ●●●
Telegram Twitter    ICO Website    Reddit    Medium
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 11:31:49 PM

The problem is, if you want to capture the sharp flash crash and buy lots of coins at a bargain price, you must have an order there with enough fiat money backing, so I usually leave some of my fiat money there, not too much bitcoins

Deadstock

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 01:15:11 AM

keep it in electrum..and backup your seed/private key
bitmarket.io (OP)
Legendary

Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2015, 02:06:11 AM

I used to keep a lot of BTC on Bitstamp and lend them out for a small interest to other traders. I even wrote a bot that attempted to price my swap offers at what I thought was the optimal price based on the historical trend of the FRR. In the end I collected only a small amount in interest payments. I figured that it wasn't worth the risk and withdrew everything.
That's exactly what I am thinking of doing but ever since that hack I'm VERY skeptical.
bitmarket.io (OP)
Legendary

Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2015, 02:07:11 AM

The problem is, if you want to capture the sharp flash crash and buy lots of coins at a bargain price, you must have an order there with enough fiat money backing, so I usually leave some of my fiat money there, not too much bitcoins

That's what I'm trying to do.

Tell me, in the event of a hack, is the fiat safe?  I would assume BTC isn't. And I don't see Bitstamp as a company that would just run off with the fiat.
deluxeCITY

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 02:15:47 AM

It is not safe but i have kept over $100+ to use the chat on a more anonymous exchange for over a year and guess what i still have my coin and dollars so it can be safe but only leave on there what you are willing to right of as a loss don't hold all your coin on there because if the day comes it will be a terrible day indeed. No harm in transferring your coin at the end of the trading day is there really? Better safe than sorry for anything over a few hundred.
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 03:12:43 AM

i don't have much myself currently but i keep them safe in my offline wallet.
which means i have full control of my funds. exchanges have proven to be not secure enough.
Minerjoe

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 06:23:21 AM

I would suggest using Bitcoin Armory and never keep BTC online.

bluudz

Activity: 211
Merit: 116

Why so serious?

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2015, 09:54:07 AM

On slightly different note. How much do you believe to blockchain wallet? I quite often keep my coins there to have access to them from other devices.

camolist

Activity: 896

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2015, 09:58:18 AM

I used to keep a lot of BTC on Bitstamp and lend them out for a small interest to other traders. I even wrote a bot that attempted to price my swap offers at what I thought was the optimal price based on the historical trend of the FRR. In the end I collected only a small amount in interest payments. I figured that it wasn't worth the risk and withdrew everything.
That's exactly what I am thinking of doing but ever since that hack I'm VERY skeptical.

are you talking about bitstamp? i thought only bitfinex offered this..

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 11:29:58 AM
Last edit: March 29, 2015, 11:54:28 AM by Amph

On slightly different note. How much do you believe to blockchain wallet? I quite often keep my coins there to have access to them from other devices.

it seems to be the safer one among the online wallets, but in any case it's always better to store them on a cold storage, or a desktop/laptop that is in a isolated envyroment
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: