Bitcoin Forum
September 04, 2024, 10:59:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Pay 2 BTC/Hour For You To Help Me Understand Bitcoin [CLOSED]  (Read 1077 times)
Cataclysmic (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 05:32:04 PM
Last edit: August 14, 2012, 03:59:25 AM by Cataclysmic

UPDATE:  Got the help I needed - thanks very much to BoardGameCoin.  So this offer/request is closed.  Thanks!

It's taking me so long to get my head around how bitcoin works using online resources such as this forum, that I've decided I'm willing to pay money to someone who can help by answering questions live on Skype (voice talk; not chat)  As I mentioned in the subject line, I'm willing to pay 2 BTC per hour for this help.

Some of the things I want to understand better are:
  • How mining works
  • How open source works - specifically in relation to bitcoin
  • Statistics that I see on BlockChain.info

I hope we'll be able to cover everything in about an hour, but it may take more or less time.  I antipcipate that this will be a question & answer session - me asking questions and you answering them.

I'm looking for someone who:
  • Is PERFECTLY fluent in English.
  • Has a lot of posts and a good reputation on this forum
  • Has a knack for explaining things in a way that makes it easy for non-programmers to understand
  • Has a thorough understanding of how bitcoin works.

If you're willing to help with this, please send me a PM with your Skype ID.  I'd like to do this asap... like right now if you're available.

Once I've got someone suitable who has agreed to do this I'll update the thread so you're not sending me PMs for no reason.

Thanks,

Justin

PS: I hope you all realize that the fact that I'm willing to pay for help understanding bitcoin is a sign it is VERY DIFFICULT for non-programmers to get their heads around bitcoin... I think this barrier to entry needs to be eliminated before bitcoin can really take off.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 06:16:25 PM

It would be an even better deal if we got a few people together for an online class. Maybe we could offer this once a month for new peers?

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Cataclysmic (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 06:42:05 PM

It would be an even better deal if we got a few people together for an online class. Maybe we could offer this once a month for new peers?

I could definitely see that being helpful.  Such a class might also help make it more clear what the major stumbling blocks are for new users of bitcoin, so that those blocks can hopefully be removed for future newcomers.

At this point though I'd like some one-on-one attention - more efficient for me personally.  Haven't got any offers yet - still waiting!
WikileaksDude

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 07:03:50 PM

I could definitely see that being helpful.  Such a class might also help make it more clear what the major stumbling blocks are for new users of bitcoin, so that those blocks can hopefully be removed for future newcomers.

At this point though I'd like some one-on-one attention - more efficient for me personally.  Haven't got any offers yet - still waiting!

I know you said one-on-one.

But just check this: https://www.coindl.com/ and Download the bitcoin beginner guide, which is free.
Cataclysmic (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 07:23:49 PM

But just check this: https://www.coindl.com/ and Download the bitcoin beginner guide, which is free.

Thanks for the link, but that pdf file didn't answer any of the questions I have.

Haven't got any offers to help yet - still waiting!
nedbert9

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Inactive

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 07:32:32 PM

Some pick it up right away, but not many.  It's typically true that the type of terminology used to give beyond one line explanations is too technical.  The explanations themselves are a barrier to entry for conversations where the goal is not to show why Bitcoin is technically sound.
JompinDox

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 09:12:10 PM

Thanks for the link, but that pdf file didn't answer any of the questions I have.

Haven't got any offers to help yet - still waiting!

Well it could be because the people who truly 'get it' typically value their time well above 2BTC/hour.

I do agree the lack of easily accessible documentation for non-geeks sucks.

Tips? 1ELECeJompinDox61L73eAUyaWpe3Q5HZB
Down with socks!
Strider Hiryu

Activity: 29

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 10:15:42 PM

Some of the things I want to understand better are:
  • How mining works
  • How open source works - specifically in relation to bitcoin
  • Statistics that I see on BlockChain.info

PS: I hope you all realize that the fact that I'm willing to pay for help understanding bitcoin is a sign it is VERY DIFFICULT for non-programmers to get their heads around bitcoin... I think this barrier to entry needs to be eliminated before bitcoin can really take off.

The average person uses paper money with no clue how the monetary system works, they just take it on a kind of collective trust.  If there were enough people using bitcoin they would take bitcoin on collective trust too.  Like a black box - I have X bitcoin, I send Y bitcoin, I receive Z bitcoin, etc... I'm not sure a person needs to know anything else, if they already trust bitcoin based on other people trusting it.  Most people aren't that inquisitive.

The non-techie semi-early adopter, like yourself, is another matter.  You want to know how it works for yourself, but are new to the things that make up bitcoin (cryptography, etc..).

Your questions seems straightforward, you could probably get them answered on here for free (and then other people can read them too):

"How open source works - specifically in relation to bitcoin"

Open Source - source code is released under a permissive license (you can do anything you want with it, you possibly have to give credit and/or release source code to modification); source code to bitcoin is available to download, the core developers have control over the main download location and control what goes into the main bitcoin client, but you could copy it, change it and put it up on another site if you wanted.

"How mining works"

Bitcoin transactions are collected in a series of blocks (the 'block chain'), each block requires a proof of  an intensive calculation before the other clients accept it; Mining = people doing this calculation to get the 50 bitcoin 'block reward' as well as all the transaction fees in the block they 'mine'.

"Statistics that I see on BlockChain.info"

What statistic in particular?
P4man

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 10:43:22 PM

While I dont want to pretend to understand everything about bitcoin, I could probably answer most, if not all questions you have and perhaps even in a way you understand. And since I dont like being paid per hour, Ill even do it for free.

Im in EU timezone though, so we will need to work out a time that works for both us. If you are interested, pm me a skype name.

Cataclysmic (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 11:05:32 PM

Alright, got a few offers to help now.  Thanks very much to all who replied - I think I'm probably all set, but I may re-open this offer/request if things don't work out as planned...
BoardGameCoin

Activity: 283
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 03:28:52 AM

+1

We talked through a bunch of questions, our discussion went long and he insisted on covering the extra time. His questions made sense and he had a genuine interest in understanding.

Thanks!

-bgc

I'm selling great Minion Games like The Manhattan Project, Kingdom of Solomon and Venture Forth at 4% off retail starting June 2012. PM me or go to my thread in the Marketplace if you're interested.

For Settlers/Dominion/Carcassone etc., I do email gift cards on Amazon for a 5% fee. PM if you're interested.
Cataclysmic (OP)

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 04:04:35 AM

+1

We talked through a bunch of questions, our discussion went long and he insisted on covering the extra time. His questions made sense and he had a genuine interest in understanding.

Thanks!

-bgc

Thanks VERY much for your help - got all my questions & misunderstandings cleared up - I don't think I could have asked for a better teacher!

Justin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: