Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:19:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can bitcoins break $5,000 in 20 years?  (Read 11845 times)
Luno

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 07:17:22 AM

"Bitcoin priced higher than FB"; I know, you are absolutely  right.
Nevertheless a catchy headline that would suggest that Bitcoin makes better sense than investing in the internet giant. It is'nt fair either to compare the price of a currency/commodity to the value of a stock.
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
GeoRW

Activity: 350
Merit: 257

Trust No One

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 07:18:04 AM

It depends how much will other electronic currencies improve meanwhile. There's already solid competition in namecoins, litecoins etc. In future I predict there'll be a lot of competing electronic currencies and bitcoin might still be ahead of others regarding general adoption, features, infrastructure etc. but I wouldn't definitely bet on that Cheesy
It will go way beyond what Friedrich Hayek described in his "The Denationalization of Money" paper for sure Grin
flipperfish

Merit: 251

Dolphie Selfie

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 09:33:43 AM

No, bitcoin's market cap would have to exceed about $41 Billion (FB's current market cap) for it to be even remotely accurate to say "bitcoin is priced higher than Facebook". The price per trading-unit is not relevant in a vacuum. So that equates to about $1952/BTC (using the full 21,000,000 coin issuance).

By reading those numbers I remember how ridicolously small bitcoin's current userbase and value really is. If even facebook, a simple webservice to exchange gossip, can reach a market value of $41 Billion and that within 3/4/5? years, then a bitcoin should absolutely be worth more than 5000$ in 20 years. I mean it's a new paradigm of currency. How can it be worth less than "a simple webservice to exchange gossip"?
interlagos

Activity: 496
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 10:42:16 AM

Can bitcoins break $5,000 in 20 years?

I think everybody forgets one little detail in this train of thought - the dollar will be long gone by that time! Smiley
Or you seriously believe Chinese will keep buying US debt for another 20 years...  Grin
btcnode (OP)

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 05:31:31 PM

I think everybody forgets one little detail in this train of thought - the dollar will be long gone by that time! Smiley
Or you seriously believe Chinese will keep buying US debt for another 20 years...  Grin

Very valid point
gochk

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 03:40:04 PM

Not trying to be Johnny RainCloud but with so little, virtually not much adoption of btc; what makes you think it'll go anywhere near $100; let alone $5000? Just wondering ... what is the basis of this speculation?
arklan
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 03:52:04 PM

Not trying to be Johnny RainCloud but with so little, virtually not much adoption of btc; what makes you think it'll go anywhere near $100; let alone $5000? Just wondering ... what is the basis of this speculation?

look at it this way: in three years, btc went from the initial creation to where we are now. what, then, does 20 years hold? personally, i haven't the foggiest. Cheesy

i don't post much, but this space for rent.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 04:22:20 PM

I would be pretty surprised if China wasn't still buying US debt in 2032.  What the hell else are they going to do with their dollars?

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 04:55:38 PM

There's already solid competition in namecoins, litecoins etc.

Oh really? Where's the equivalent of MtGox for litecoins? And namecoins aren't a currency.
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 05:36:03 PM

I would be pretty surprised if China wasn't still buying US debt in 2032.  What the hell else are they going to do with their dollars?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normalcy_bias

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
kjj
Legendary

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 05:48:05 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normalcy_bias

What the hell else are they going to do with their dollars?

I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
labestiol

Activity: 434

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 05:52:36 PM
Last edit: August 31, 2012, 06:45:28 PM by labestiol

Invest in Africa/Asia/South America, Stockpile natural ressources (oil, precious metals, rare earth metals, ...). They already started doing so
And do you think the trade imbalance will stay like that for 20 years ?

1BestioLC7YBVh8Q5LfH6RYURD6MrpP8y6
labestiol

Activity: 434

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 05:58:14 PM

And namecoins aren't a currency.

Then what are they ? Can you give me some ?  Grin

1BestioLC7YBVh8Q5LfH6RYURD6MrpP8y6
GeoRW

Merit: 257

Trust No One

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 06:26:57 PM

Oh really? Where's the equivalent of MtGox for litecoins? And namecoins aren't a currency.

There are several exchanges for litecoins. None is so big as MtGox in bitcoin world which is actually better for the whole economy not to be dependent so much on one exchange and price manipulation movements there. Regarding namecoins, bitcoins can also be considered as a commodity, not a currency, in digital world it really doesn't matter. BTW, you can add Linden dollars and Liberty Reserve to the list and more are coming as we speak Wink I wish bitcoin all the best (I own a bunch of them and its a intrepid pioneer in this field) but bitcoin will not be the only electronic currency in the future and it's quite probable that it won't be the biggest one either. There's still long way ahead and who knows what the future holds  Cool
jojo69
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 06:40:10 PM

what dollars?

there hasn't been a "dollar" since 1935

all they hold are electronic notations representing that they are owed federal reserve notes

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
kjj
Legendary

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 07:00:47 PM

what dollars?

all they hold are electronic notations representing that they are owed federal reserve notes

There are no bitcoins either.  What's your point?

And for the record, there are dollars.  I've got one in my wallet that was minted in 2010.

Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 07:25:01 PM

If bitcoin manages to survive 20 years, it won't be worth $5,000...it will be more like $100,000.  If it survives another 5 years, it should easily top $5,000.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
jojo69
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 08:14:26 PM

what dollars?

And for the record, there are dollars.  I've got one in my wallet that was minted in 2010.

"the United States dollar was defined as a unit of weight equaling 371 4/16th grains (24.057 grams) of pure silver"

that thing in your pocket is a debt instrument

I will attempt to stop being obtuse.  I find it vanishingly unlikely that the United States federal reserve note will exist in 20 years, certainly not as a world reserve currency.  What will China do with the value owed them?  Choke on it or go to war most likely.

kjj
Legendary

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 08:28:27 PM

what dollars?

"the United States dollar was defined as a unit of weight equaling 371 4/16th grains (24.057 grams) of pure silver"

that thing in your pocket is a debt instrument

I will attempt to stop being obtuse.  I find it vanishingly unlikely that the United States federal reserve note will exist in 20 years, certainly not as a world reserve currency.  What will China do with the value owed them?  Choke on it or go to war most likely.

No, I promise you that the ounce of silver in my wallet stamped "One Dollar" by the U.S. Mint is not in any way, shape or form a debt instrument.  It is really a dollar.

You are being pedantic about dollars.  In everyday usage, the word "dollar" is very well understood, whether it be a silver eagle, a paper FRN, an entry in your bank's computer, or a treasury bond/bill/note.  For what it's worth, I totally agree that most dollars are not really dollars.  That doesn't change anything.

I would be amazed if the dollar doesn't still exist in 20 years.  As fucked up as our financial and economic systems are, it turns out that pretty much the whole rest of the world is even more fucked up.  China thinks so too.  They keep buying our debt because it is the best place to park their export earnings.  If they didn't think so, they would FOREX their USD away as they came in.

jojo69
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 08:35:37 PM

Aha, very well, your SAE is actually a bit more than a dollar, and I will admit to being pedantic.

I am interested to know how you think the current debt load is going to be repaid?

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: