Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 09:00:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: raising awareness by giving away private keys  (Read 4379 times)
niko (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 08:16:04 PM

I am going to print out paper wallets worth few bucks each and post them on bulletin boards on campus. Please share any specific ideas. Currently I'm planning to write something along the lines of:
=====
Free Money

This barcode contains bitcoins: decentralized, open-source digital currency.
First come first serve.
=====

What other information would be useful? A list of mobile and online wallets? Exchanges?

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 08:43:20 PM

You should also make write on top in what range those bitcoins included may be, like:

FREE MONEY!!

This private key contains 0.1 to 10 bitcoins (they are scattered all over the campus!). Current value (as of today: dd.mm.yyyy on mtgox.com): 11.80 $/Bitcoin !!!

Go check on blockchain.info!
OneEyed
aka aurele

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 08:45:37 PM

What other information would be useful? A list of mobile and online wallets? Exchanges?

I think you should link to a post explaining how to get more bitcoins, but you should not promote the use of exchanges to transform bitcoins into fiat, as it would defeat the purpose.

dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 08:47:23 PM

To avoid disappointment, have someone write TAKEN when they have emptied the key. Also make sure they sweep it.

FREE MONEY!!

This private key contains 0.1 to 10 bitcoins (they are scattered all over the campus!). Current value (as of today: dd.mm.yyyy on mtgox.com): 11.80 $/Bitcoin !!!

Be sure to sweep the coins to your own address after you scan the private key.

Go check on blockchain.info!

Note: Please check this box if you have taken the coins, to avoid disappointing others. First come, first serve.
Scott J
Legendary

Activity: 1792

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 08:47:50 PM

Great idea Smiley

I would give instructions on how to redeem the private key and maybe mention weusecoins.com

Also, don't put them all out at once or one or two people might swipe them all! Posting them gradually could also help build more excitement.
unclescrooge
aka Raphy

Activity: 868

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 08:49:23 PM

I think you should link to a post explaining how to get more bitcoins, but you should not promote the use of exchanges to transform bitcoins into fiat, as it would defeat the purpose.

+1

Don't mention the exchange rate, as the ultimate goal of bitcoins is to be used for themselves, as a real alternative currency.
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 08:52:11 PM

Maybe something like this will work (combining other's suggestions)
FREE MONEY!
This QR code contains bitcoins (BTC): decentralized, open-source digital currency. Please see ww​w.weusecoins.c​om or ww​w.blockchai​n.info for instructions on how to redeem them.

The private key contains 0.1 BTC to 10 BTC (they are scattered all over the campus). Bitcoins are valuable, and the amount included could be worth over 100 $!

Be sure to sweep the coins to your own address after you scan the private key.

Note: Please check this box if you have taken the coins, to avoid disappointing others. First come, first serve.
bitlizard

Activity: 141

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 09:10:08 PM

Great idea Smiley

I would give instructions on how to redeem the private key and maybe mention weusecoins.com

Also, don't put them all out at once or one or two people might swipe them all! Posting them gradually could also help build more excitement.

That's a really good idea. Posting them one a week on random campus bulletin boards. Also if they were redeemable somewhere on campus that would be huge because students are often broke and cheap. Redeemable for beer would be probably be well received.

-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
Version: OpenPGP.js v.1.20130820
Comment: http://openpgpjs.org

xo0EUhf9FQED/0sL3rfa9DYObowd03us1FpzLw5l5FteaeUnArz68lp9HNqP
VXixNNHRW4Zozm+wPcU68D8IdfgKJamLEYuQcrN9Dy35TllW9djSTYz1D5Cl
ITa/88kYXUurCG5vzoYujXEBggCz/+VsHhwsDC1U+PFUAmrWyii9UEmu2Nwm
aNBZABEBAAHNIlJlZ2FuIE1pbG5lIDxyZWdhbm1pbG5lQGdtYWlsLmNvbT7C
nAQQAQgAEAUCUhf9FwkQ6+hDAft7/iQAADjEA/sFZG4B3SfwsoEzXHa9Rq/A
QabkxwnDR4BIm0zq2YfAuk08yZA0lbvaYE8mlPt3Xb2NmlErC3g/ymfktx2m
NrhP6BRXmPP/b4E+EPSbKBeLI/+eCP6BwPLEpZYQrHxg0eHLwYNQTK5f6SxK
7vcxO/OaBmcvo9ZAHDKkP3HJiqRZyw==
=feLE
-----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
OneEyed
aka aurele

Activity: 154

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 09:13:09 PM

Another thing could be to make an expiration date on those offers, such as: those bitcoins must be used before [put an ISO date here] or they will be reclaimed and redistributed.

To do that, you can either keep a copy of the private key (which is somewhat dangerous if your machine gets hacked) and get the coins back at the given date if they are still at the given address, or (better) generate the transaction to send it to one of your offline wallets without broadcasting it, then broadcast it when the expiration date arrives (it will fail if the coins have been spent).

This way, you don't have to be afraid that someone could toss the paper away (or not activate the address on the board) and the coins are lost forever.

adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 09:23:08 PM

this sounds like fun, Ill be doing this too.  Wink

bitlizard

Activity: 141

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 09:23:34 PM

Make bitcoin redeemable for instant noodles and pizza pops.

-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
Version: OpenPGP.js v.1.20130820
Comment: http://openpgpjs.org

xo0EUhf9FQED/0sL3rfa9DYObowd03us1FpzLw5l5FteaeUnArz68lp9HNqP
VXixNNHRW4Zozm+wPcU68D8IdfgKJamLEYuQcrN9Dy35TllW9djSTYz1D5Cl
ITa/88kYXUurCG5vzoYujXEBggCz/+VsHhwsDC1U+PFUAmrWyii9UEmu2Nwm
aNBZABEBAAHNIlJlZ2FuIE1pbG5lIDxyZWdhbm1pbG5lQGdtYWlsLmNvbT7C
nAQQAQgAEAUCUhf9FwkQ6+hDAft7/iQAADjEA/sFZG4B3SfwsoEzXHa9Rq/A
QabkxwnDR4BIm0zq2YfAuk08yZA0lbvaYE8mlPt3Xb2NmlErC3g/ymfktx2m
NrhP6BRXmPP/b4E+EPSbKBeLI/+eCP6BwPLEpZYQrHxg0eHLwYNQTK5f6SxK
7vcxO/OaBmcvo9ZAHDKkP3HJiqRZyw==
=feLE
-----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1464
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 09:45:29 PM

A link to a tutorial...it's kinda a lot of work to redeem a private key with the Satoshi client. Maybe a link to blockchain.info?

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
weex
Legendary

Activity: 1102
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 09:55:09 PM

You might link or refer to this in some way: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Private_key
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 10:24:20 PM

Oh god, not the "promotion by disposal" nonsense again...

WHY??? You would do more to promote Bitcoin by sticky-taping $5 notes all over the place and show everyone how worthless and unwanted that currency is.

If you really must push the Bitcoin name onto noobs who probably don't even want to know, then write "Sick of this? Use bitcoin" (or something similar) on every piece of paper currency you can find.

I dont use cash often

but when i do

I write "Sick of this? Use bitcoin" on the bills

lol

Spekulatius
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 11:21:04 PM

I dont use cash often

but when i do

I write "Sick of this? Use bitcoin" on the bills

lol

+1  Cheesy

+1
Spekulatius
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 11:23:07 PM

WHY??? You would do more to promote Bitcoin by sticky-taping $5 notes all over the place and show everyone how worthless and unwanted that currency is.

If you really must push the Bitcoin name onto noobs who probably don't even want to know, then write "Sick of this? Use bitcoin" (or something similar) on every piece of paper currency you can find.

If the purpose is to make bitcoin more public and to give people an incentive to find out how it works, this is a great way to do this, because everyone likes free money. Thumbs up!
niko (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 11:33:20 PM

I've been doing that for months now. "Bitcoin is better."

This time I'd like to motivate those interested to actually try it out, but devil is in the details. That is why I started this thread to get specific ideas on how to make the process friendly and interesting for the non-initiated. Would you please give it a shot?

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 11:36:21 PM

I've been doing that for months now. "Bitcoin is better."

This time I'd like to motivate those interested to actually try it out, but devil is in the details. That is why I started this thread to get specific ideas on how to make the process friendly and interesting for the non-initiated. Would you please give it a shot?

I'm putting something together  Wink

bracek

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 11:51:26 PM
Last edit: August 14, 2012, 01:04:56 PM by bracek

how about this:

print the key and then cut it into a puzzle,
on the back of the paper, print some directions or hints where other parts might be,

that way, people will start asking about it, chat about it,
maybe even trade parts, if you make money large enough,
it will be fun

and if you want to help btc economy,
you can send me

that much I am short to place an order for some casascius coins Smiley

norulezapply

Activity: 481
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 12:25:53 AM

This is just a waste of bitcoins.. Most of them will get thrown away and wasted by people that don't understand what to do with them or think it's a scam etc.

I think the best method of promotion would be promotion via media, like the video at www.weusecoins.com and www.screwbanks.net
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: