Bitcoin Forum
May 31, 2024, 02:05:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2015-03-28] The Bitcoin Investment Trust (BIT) Goes Live with Ticker GBTC  (Read 1389 times)
LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2015, 08:19:44 AM

The Bitcoin Investment Trust (BIT) Goes Live with Ticker GBTC

A few weeks ago Bitcoin Magazine reported that the Bitcoin Investment Trust (BIT) was about to become the first publicly traded Bitcoin fund. On Thursday, the BIT received formal approval for listing on the OTC Markets Group’s OTCQX exchange. The fund is listed with the symbol GBTC, and trading is expected to begin early next week.

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/19760/bitcoin-investment-trust-bit-goes-live-ticker-gbtc/

1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 03:02:11 PM

Who have thought Bitcoin will reach this far a few years back? Not many I guess.

It will be interesting once trading of shares will start. I don't think the impact on the price will be directly visible.

But surely for the long term it is fantastic. Especially once the Winklevoss bro's also finalize their Gemini exchange.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 03:47:20 PM

The BIT is the first product from Silbert’s new Grayscale Investments, a digital-asset management firm being launched concurrently by his Digital Currency Group. The Wall Street Journal notes that the BIT is the latest addition to the growing number of bitcoin trading platforms that aim to expand bitcoin investments beyond the volatile spot exchanges and attract a new class of investors....

What?
Isn't this really BIG news?

Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 09:36:06 PM

The BIT is the first product from Silbert’s new Grayscale Investments, a digital-asset management firm being launched concurrently by his Digital Currency Group. The Wall Street Journal notes that the BIT is the latest addition to the growing number of bitcoin trading platforms that aim to expand bitcoin investments beyond the volatile spot exchanges and attract a new class of investors....

What?
Isn't this really BIG news?
I would like to think this is but I'm not exactly sure whether the fixed number of coins/shares in this BIT are just going to be sold from present holders to newer ones or whether Barry can add more share batches for other new clients this adding extra buying demand. I imagine the older holders bought higher and thus won't sell below a certain price. My only interest is in whether this new engine will continue to add demand to the marketplace.
Ghepetto

Activity: 285
Merit: 255

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 04:44:21 AM

I think maybe we have become numb to news reporting and this really could be a big deal, we will see this week.

--------------------Bagholder Extraordinaire--------------------
bitgeek

Activity: 462
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 07:11:46 AM

I think maybe we have become numb to news reporting and this really could be a big deal, we will see this week.
You might be right. Two years ago every single big news was followed by a pump, but then we had some disturbing periods like multiple news about Chinese bans, each followed by a dump and a couple months of positive press in 2014, which the price completely ignored and continued to go down.
People stopped looking at news, especially those produced by Coindesk, as some turned out to be fake or paid advertising.

███████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████

Online.BTC.Bingo

.*500%.CASH.BACK.+.INSTANT.BONUS
..PROGRESSIVE.JACKPOT
..NO-DOWNLOAD.CLIENT

EPIC.FUN.
niner

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

You are here ---------> but you're not all there.

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2015, 03:31:28 AM

Do we expect to see some volume anytime soon?

How long can it remain on the OTC exchange with zero volume before it gets de-listed?
(assuming there is such a rule Huh)

http://www.otcmarkets.com/stock/GBTC/quote

Ⓑ Ⓘ Ⓣ Ⓒ Ⓞ Ⓘ Ⓝ 1NMBixVgJyA63MExRuChcxjhKAW1QkvZU4
digital49ers.com   bitcoin.de   Alt Coins: CryptsyVircurex
crazywack
Legendary

Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 10:10:25 AM

Do we expect to see some volume anytime soon?

How long can it remain on the OTC exchange with zero volume before it gets de-listed?
(assuming there is such a rule Huh)

http://www.otcmarkets.com/stock/GBTC/quote

A daily average of .2 BTC for 7 days in order to stay listed Cheesy

travwill

Activity: 1313
Merit: 278

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 02:07:47 PM

The Bitcoin Investment Trust (BIT) Goes Live with Ticker GBTC

A few weeks ago Bitcoin Magazine reported that the Bitcoin Investment Trust (BIT) was about to become the first publicly traded Bitcoin fund. On Thursday, the BIT received formal approval for listing on the OTC Markets Group’s OTCQX exchange. The fund is listed with the symbol GBTC, and trading is expected to begin early next week.

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/19760/bitcoin-investment-trust-bit-goes-live-ticker-gbtc/

So there are bids as late as today, 3/31/15, but still no volume.  Any idea when this will start trading yet from anyone?

The odd thing is, that bids are at 35.51 (highest) for each share, x10, = $355.10 for an actual BTC.  BTC price is around $245.  If these trades start around those levels, impact to BTC prices on exchanges most likely?

█████████████████████████████████████████████████
██                ▄▄▄███████▄▄                 ██
██             ▄███▀▀        ▀▀▄               ██
██▄▄███████▀  ███▀                             ██
██▀█▄▄       ███▀   ▐███████▄    ▄██▄          ██
██  ▀███▄▄▄ ███▌    ▐██    ██    ▀██▀          ██
██      ▀▀█████▌    ▐███████▀           ▀▀██▄▄ ██
██          ███▌    ▐██ ▄▄▄                 ▀████
██           ███▄   ▐██  ▀██▄ ▀▀▀███████████▀▀ ██
██            ████▄             ▄█▀            ██
██             ▀████▄▄▄     ▄▄██▀              ██
██                ▀▀▀███████▀▀▀                ██
█████████████████████████████████████████████████
VIRTUAL WORLDS
BLOCKCHAIN INFRASTRUCTURE
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
D I S C O R D     
M E D I U M     
G I T B O O K     
crazywack
Legendary

Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 09:30:33 PM

The artical pointed out that many of the share owners bought in at a night Bitcoin price. Doubt it will dip down to market value.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: