Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:56:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I know what nm my Monarch is and other noob ?'s  (Read 947 times)
dershope (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 08:07:05 PM

The model number is BPU700C.  Should be 28nm I'm assuming.  Can I check within bfgminer?

If I Google that model number results come back with 700Ghs.   The unit purchased was advertised as 800Ghs.  Monitoring within BitMinter it avg's 900+.  Bitminter reports between 600 and 1.3 at times.  Why is this?  bfgminer, assuming I'm understanding it properly avg 800.  If the system is at least getting 800 its a moot point.

bfg screenshot  https://i.imgur.com/esIYdGO.png

bitminter snipit  http://imgur.com/9WZ5Mmo

Thank in advance!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
guitarplinker
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2015, 08:18:46 PM

I don't think there's any way you can check how small the transistors are with BFGMiner, however your card should be a 28nm miner. It looks like only 28nm Monarchs were made.

Also, for the hashrate bit, trust the hashrate displayed in BFGMiner. The pool hashrate is just an estimate at how often you submit shares and what difficult they are, and often the estimated difficult is off by quite a bit, as in your case.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 08:22:41 PM

Have you tried any other difficulties with it?   I was never a bitminter miner so I'm unfamiliar with their pool.  But selecting right difficulty can effect how constant the speed appears.
dershope (OP)

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 08:39:37 PM

Thought as such about how often Bitminter reports speed. 

When looking at bfgminer and determine avg speed its the last number nearest Gh/s, correct?  For example 610.2/603.6/>this number>793.1Gh/s

As for pool, I chose Bitminter because my first experience with mining was with a jalapeno and their software was the easiest.  I now realize I'm better off with bfgminer.  Don't know about the pool though.  Suggestions welcome.
guitarplinker
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2015, 08:40:52 PM

Thought as such about how often Bitminter reports speed. 

When looking at bfgminer and determine avg speed its the last number nearest Gh/s, correct?  For example 610.2/603.6/>this number>793.1Gh/s

As for pool, I chose Bitminter because my first experience with mining was with a jalapeno and their software was the easiest.  I now realize I'm better off with bfgminer.  Don't know about the pool though.  Suggestions welcome.
Yes, the last number is the miner's average speed overall. As for a pool, I've had nothing but good experiences with Slush's Pool.
dershope (OP)

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 08:47:14 PM

I'll try Slush after a week on Bitminter then compare.  Seems to be the best way to determine which is best.  Or maybe I need a longer period of results.
cramved

Activity: 56

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 08:51:48 PM

I think hash rates very based on your luck because if you get lucky and submit shares really fast then the reported has rate will be higher. I am not sure but I think it works this way when you check your hash rate pool side.
TheRealSteve

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

FUN > ROI

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 09:11:23 PM

Also, for the hashrate bit, trust the hashrate displayed in BFGMiner. The pool hashrate is just an estimate at how often you submit shares and what difficult they are
Correct - the hash rate shown in mining / monitoring software is the best indication.

Fun little tidbit: The true hash rate of a typical ASIC miner can't be determined short of extreme measures.

As guitarplinker notes, the pool-side indication of hash rate is an estimate based on your shares and the difficulty thereof.
Similarly, websites' estimation of the total network hash rate is an estimate based on the blocks solved and the difficulty thereof.
But the same applies to the mining software - its indication is an estimate based on the number of nonces returned in a given period by the hardware for the fed difficulty (if not fixed).

Even if you know the number of hashes the chip should generate per clock cycle, and you know the clock frequency the chip's working at, you still can't just multiply the two together; every once in a while, the chip will just get it wrong.  Every time you see a HW error in mining software/monitors, that's not just indicative of the nonce it returned (after massaging, where applicable) not matching up with the software sanity check, but of every hash the chip generates.. but as the vast majority of the hashes never exit the black box, you can't check.  A manufacturer could even claim that the chip never has HW errors...and there would technically be no way to actually prove that.

Mining software/monitors do provide the best indication, though, as they can average estimated hash rate over very, very long periods of time with a lot more data fed into them, building confidence - often even taking said HW errors into account to get closer to a true hash rate.  Pools generally show your estimated hash rate over much smaller periods of time, and with a lot less data.

cramved

Activity: 56

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 09:51:46 PM

Also, for the hashrate bit, trust the hashrate displayed in BFGMiner. The pool hashrate is just an estimate at how often you submit shares and what difficult they are
Correct - the hash rate shown in mining / monitoring software is the best indication.

Fun little tidbit: The true hash rate of a typical ASIC miner can't be determined short of extreme measures.

As guitarplinker notes, the pool-side indication of hash rate is an estimate based on your shares and the difficulty thereof.
Similarly, websites' estimation of the total network hash rate is an estimate based on the blocks solved and the difficulty thereof.
But the same applies to the mining software - its indication is an estimate based on the number of nonces returned in a given period by the hardware for the fed difficulty (if not fixed).

Even if you know the number of hashes the chip should generate per clock cycle, and you know the clock frequency the chip's working at, you still can't just multiply the two together; every once in a while, the chip will just get it wrong.  Every time you see a HW error in mining software/monitors, that's not just indicative of the nonce it returned (after massaging, where applicable) not matching up with the software sanity check, but of every hash the chip generates.. but as the vast majority of the hashes never exit the black box, you can't check.  A manufacturer could even claim that the chip never has HW errors...and there would technically be no way to actually prove that.

Mining software/monitors do provide the best indication, though, as they can average estimated hash rate over very, very long periods of time with a lot more data fed into them, building confidence - often even taking said HW errors into account to get closer to a true hash rate.  Pools generally show your estimated hash rate over much smaller periods of time, and with a lot less data.

ok good to know I was right about that I was a little unsure.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: