Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 01:00:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help me debate an economist on Bitcoin!  (Read 762 times)
SheHadMANHands (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1168
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 11:28:19 PM

This individual and I are in a sort of informal debate over Bitcoin.  

He says, in response to one of my arguments:

You state: "What interests me a bit, are the new applications that crypto-currency allows for: "smart contracts", "decentralized autonomous organizations", machine to machine transactions." None of these are new: smart contracts - options; decentralized autonomous organizations - commercial banks; machine to machine transactions - internet transactions and ATMs.  The environment might be different but the ideas and their applications already exist.

I feel like he's shown his cards here, and his lack of understanding of these technological applications.  Are there any great examples that could be presented to best demonstrate that to him?  

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SheHadMANHands (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1168
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 11:32:20 PM

Appreciate any comments.   Smiley

I always love the opportunity to convert someone.
cooldgamer
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

We are the champions of the night

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2015, 09:11:02 PM

You state: "What interests me a bit, are the new applications that crypto-currency allows for: "smart contracts", "decentralized autonomous organizations", machine to machine transactions." None of these are new: smart contracts - options; decentralized autonomous organizations - commercial banks; machine to machine transactions - internet transactions and ATMs.  The environment might be different but the ideas and their applications already exist.
Well I've never gotten a overdraft with Bitcoin.  Banks are designed to make money, BTC is designed for people to transmit $$ through it easily.  No middleman=more efficient

Same goes for ATM's and internet transactions, Paypal charges $.30+2.9% CC fee to pay for goods, BTC costs $.03.  Even if you use a ATM with $0 fee, your bank will probably charge one.

Check out for smart contracts, there's a lot they can do that simple options can't. 

PolarPoint

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 12:04:14 AM

Applications of money are always the same. Cryptos are different because of the blockchain. Previous smart contracts are private to private contracts, blockchain binds a smart contract in public in a decentralised trustless netwrok. They can be verified by anyone. That wasn't possible before.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 12:38:24 AM

I think he misunderstood the meaning of machine to machine transactions: Today's internet transactions or ATM only accept human inputs, not from another machine, machine won't be able to transfer money to each other without human authorization from each bank, but with bitcoin, each machine can have its own wallet, and they could just send each other bitcoins without human interference, like AIs carrying out financial activities

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: