Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 08:19:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin:Address format for QR codes  (Read 1569 times)
moocow1452 (OP)

Activity: 240
Merit: 250

Don't mind me.

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 03:10:12 AM

Does anyone actually use the bitcoin:{address} format for generating and scanning QR codes, or would I be better off keeping the codes as raw addresses?
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 08:16:10 AM

Does anyone actually use the bitcoin:{address} format for generating and scanning QR codes, or would I be better off keeping the codes as raw addresses?

If I am scanning with my mobile, without the proper URI (bitcoin:{address}) it scans as type "Text".  It will not then show my Bitcoin Spinner for Android app as one of the tools to open with that value.  It will not pre-fill the "Send to:" with the bitcoin address from the QR code.   

If it is a proper URI, it scans as type "URI", the proper app for it is easy to select (Bitcoin Spinner), the Send To is pre-filled with the address that I scanned, and I am two steps from completing my payment.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █