Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:57:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Not Understanding Cold storage  (Read 2016 times)
cyclotronmajesty (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 03:46:36 PM

I want to create a "Cold storage" Wallet but I only have one computer. Also i'm running Mac OS X, and i'm not good with ubuntu or linux commands.

I figured I could just turn off the wifi and keep my wallet on a external disk, like a USB thumb drive.

I'd like to do that but i'm kinda lost now as I tried to create a wallet while offline in Electrum and the program objected to that.

I really have no idea what to do to make this work. Anyone know of a guide to do this or can explain how to do this on one of those silly Macintosh computers?

███  ███
    ███      ███
  ███          ███
███              ███

███              ███
  ███          ███
    ███      ███
      ███  ███

LANCECHAIN

║▮
║▮
║▮

▮║
▮║
▮║

║▮
║▮
║▮

▮║
▮║
▮║

▄▄████
                ▄▄▄████████▌
          ▄▄▄███████▀▄█████
     ▄▄█████████▀▀ ▄██████▌
▄▄███████████▀  ▄█████████
 ▀▀▀█████▀    ▄██████████▌
       ██   █████████████
        █▄ █████████████▌
        ▐█▄███▀▀████████
         ███▀    ▀▀████▌
                    ▀▀█

▄████▄▄    ▄
██             ████████████▀
████▄         █████████████▀
▀████████▄▄   █████████████
▄▄█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  ▄█████████
 █████▀▀▀▀▀▀
▐████
▐████
████████████
████████████
▐████
▐████
▐████
▐████
▐████

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
EcuaMobi
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1469

https://Ecua.Mobi

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2015, 03:56:36 PM

I recommend you to get a Linux live CD. You can achieve this by downloading a Linux ISO file and then creating your own live CD by following these steps:
http://www.maketecheasier.com/create-linux-live-usb-in-mac/
Then download the code for a paper wallet generator. I recommend bitaddress.org: https://bitaddress.org > Zip link at the bottom

With that, completely disconnect your computer from the network and boot the live CD. Unzip the wallet generator and use it to generate your wallet, completely offline.

Another option is using Deck Wallet if you have an Android device. Check my signature.

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 03:59:26 PM

I want to create a "Cold storage" Wallet but I only have one computer. Also i'm running Mac OS X, and i'm not good with ubuntu or linux commands.

I figured I could just turn off the wifi and keep my wallet on a external disk, like a USB thumb drive.

I'd like to do that but i'm kinda lost now as I tried to create a wallet while offline in Electrum and the program objected to that.

I really have no idea what to do to make this work. Anyone know of a guide to do this or can explain how to do this on one of those silly Macintosh computers?

The biggest problem I see with what your doing is it sounds like your computer you will use for everyday things.  Let's say it get's compromised once you load your cold storage it's possible it gets compromised to.

You might look into a raspberry pi.  With it you can get a computer you can keep wallet on and just don't use to surf web, or other things like that.   You can get the raspberry pi set up and put entire unit away. (Make sure to make backups on USB of wallet file and treat them like gold).
cyclotronmajesty (OP)

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 04:15:25 PM

I recommend you to get a Linux live CD. You can achieve this by downloading a Linux ISO file and then creating your own live CD by following these steps:
Then download the code for a paper wallet generator. I recommend bitaddress.org: https://bitaddress.org > Zip link at the bottom

With that, completely disconnect your computer from the network and boot the live CD. Unzip the wallet generator and use it to generate your wallet, completely offline.

Another option is using Deck Wallet if you have an Android device. Check my signature.

Side topic, I saw the tutorials using bitaddress.org. but... seems kinda odd that one would start on the internet, to generate a wallet, that you intend to keep off the internet... especially a website... which are notorious for being spied on.

Is there no way to create a wallet while offline?

███  ███
    ███      ███
  ███          ███
███              ███

███              ███
  ███          ███
    ███      ███
      ███  ███

LANCECHAIN

║▮
║▮
║▮

▮║
▮║
▮║

║▮
║▮
║▮

▮║
▮║
▮║

▄▄████
                ▄▄▄████████▌
          ▄▄▄███████▀▄█████
     ▄▄█████████▀▀ ▄██████▌
       ██   █████████████
        █▄ █████████████▌
        ▐█▄███▀▀████████
         ███▀    ▀▀████▌
                    ▀▀█

▄████▄▄    ▄
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  ▄█████████
 █████▀▀▀▀▀▀
▐████
▐████
████████████
████████████
▐████
▐████
▐████
▐████
▐████
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 04:21:49 PM

Side topic, I saw the tutorials using bitaddress.org. but... seems kinda odd that one would start on the internet, to generate a wallet, that you intend to keep off the internet... especially a website... which are notorious for being spied on.

CaneryInTheMine is selling a item that lets you plug it into printers that can read usb.  It prints paperwallets offline.  You might give it a look: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=709936.0
EcuaMobi
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1469

https://Ecua.Mobi

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2015, 04:22:45 PM

Please read my post again, both options I mention are 100% offline. This is an important step:
https://bitaddress.org > Zip link at the bottom
You need to download the code of the wallet generator and then run it completely offline on your disconnected live CD. You are not generating the wallet online. I hope it's clear now.

cyclotronmajesty (OP)

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 04:28:05 PM

Please read my post again, both options I mention are 100% offline. This is an important step:
https://bitaddress.org > Zip link at the bottom
You need to download the code of the wallet generator and then run it completely offline on your disconnected live CD. You are not generating the wallet online. I hope it's clear now.

Yeah OK, thanks. I also watched a video that showed the guy running the Javascript offline. So that makes sense. But why can't Electrum do this? Is there a way to do this with Electrum?

███  ███
    ███      ███
  ███          ███
███              ███

███              ███
  ███          ███
    ███      ███
      ███  ███

LANCECHAIN

║▮
║▮
║▮

▮║
▮║
▮║

║▮
║▮
║▮

▮║
▮║
▮║

▄▄████
                ▄▄▄████████▌
          ▄▄▄███████▀▄█████
     ▄▄█████████▀▀ ▄██████▌
       ██   █████████████
        █▄ █████████████▌
        ▐█▄███▀▀████████
         ███▀    ▀▀████▌
                    ▀▀█

▄████▄▄    ▄
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  ▄█████████
 █████▀▀▀▀▀▀
▐████
▐████
████████████
████████████
▐████
▐████
▐████
▐████
▐████
Reynaldo
Legendary

Activity: 1143

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 04:29:57 AM

Here -> https://bitcoinarmory.com/cold-storage/ armory's way to explain the cold storage is pretty good.
lophie

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 04:38:45 AM

Use electrum. Create a new wallet and put those 12 words on a piece of paper. Then you can use the master public key on the computer. You can generate addresses and reciee on any of them but no one can touch your coins without that piece of paper. I would love to write you a tutorial if you are interested.

Cheers

Will take me a while to climb up again, But where is a will, there is a way...
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 06:57:47 AM

i think you should keep it simple, put the wallet in a usb and leave it there, you are done

to use those btc again just plug the usb in a safe desktop, (old laptop formatted and used only for bitcoin, don't do nothing else on this laptop/desktop)
lophie

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 07:41:26 AM

I understand where these suggestions coming from but I highly and absolutely and based on a personal experience, recommend a PAPER wallet

Will take me a while to climb up again, But where is a will, there is a way...
coinplus
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1058

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 06:09:50 PM

blockchain.info itself offers cold storage address.  Receive Money-> at bottom More acrions->New Cold Storage Address. If someone explains the difference with normal address would be more useful.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 09:48:17 PM

i think you should keep it simple, put the wallet in a usb and leave it there, you are done

to use those btc again just plug the usb in a safe desktop, (old laptop formatted and used only for bitcoin, don't do nothing else on this laptop/desktop)

Also I highly suggest having second USB of it or paper wallet.   You want to have a backup.  It would be a sad day if you only have 1 copy and the USB craps out.
cyclotronmajesty (OP)

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 02:53:29 PM
Last edit: April 05, 2015, 03:08:56 PM by cyclotronmajesty

Use electrum. Create a new wallet and put those 12 words on a piece of paper. Then you can use the master public key on the computer. You can generate addresses and reciee on any of them but no one can touch your coins without that piece of paper. I would love to write you a tutorial if you are interested.

Cheers

If you want to write me a tutorial i'd really appreciate that!

However I only have 1 computer now and want to save my bitcoins on a USB disk. If that is possible...

But if I have a paper backup i'm ok with that.

███  ███
    ███      ███
  ███          ███
███              ███

███              ███
  ███          ███
    ███      ███
      ███  ███

LANCECHAIN

║▮
║▮
║▮

▮║
▮║
▮║

║▮
║▮
║▮

▮║
▮║
▮║

▄▄████
                ▄▄▄████████▌
          ▄▄▄███████▀▄█████
     ▄▄█████████▀▀ ▄██████▌
       ██   █████████████
        █▄ █████████████▌
        ▐█▄███▀▀████████
         ███▀    ▀▀████▌
                    ▀▀█

▄████▄▄    ▄
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  ▄█████████
 █████▀▀▀▀▀▀
▐████
▐████
████████████
████████████
▐████
▐████
▐████
▐████
▐████
Bitcoin_BOy$

Activity: 854
Merit: 503

|| Web developer ||

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 04:06:14 PM

You can try to buy a Raspberry pi its cheap but you can't install on it any kind of wallets , use something lite , like Multi-bit
and try to have always a backup encrypted . That will be the best choice  Grin

Kind Of Respect ,
Bitcoin Boy .
unsoindovo
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1042

https://locktrip.com/?refId=40964

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 06:07:12 PM

i think the best solution it is to store your wallet.dat in 2 o 3 USB.
it is enough, oldest 512mb UBS pen.
I bet, you already have one or more, at home in some drawer.

Wink

██▬▬▬

██▬

██▬

██▬▬▬

████           ▄▄█████████▄▄            ▄▄█████████▄▄        ████         █████      ██████████████████   ████████████       ████    ████████████    
████         ▄███████████████▄        ▄███████████████▄      ████       █████      ████████████████████  █████████████      ████    █████████████   
████        █████▀       ▀█████▄     █████▀       ▀█████     ████     █████         █       ████       █  ████     █████             ████     █████  
████       ████▀           ▀████▄   ████▀           ▀████    ████   █████                   ████          ████      ████     ████    ████      ████  
████      ████▀              ▀████ ▀███▀                     ████ █████                     ████          ████     █████     ████    ████     █████  
████      ████                 ████▄ ▀                       ████████                       ████          █████████████      ████    █████████████   
████      ████                  ▀████                        ████████                       ████          ████████████       ████    ████████████    
████      ████▄             ▄██▄ ▀████▄                      ████ █████                     ████          ████    ████       ████    ████            
████       ████▄           ▄████   ▀████▄           ▄████    ████   █████                   ████          ████    ▀████      ████    ████            
████        █████▄       ▄█████      █████▄       ▄█████     ████     █████                 ████          ████      ████     ████    ████            
████████████ ▀███████████████▀        ▀███████████████▀      ████       █████               ████          ████       ████    ████    ████            
█████████████  ▀▀█████████▀▀            ▀▀█████████▀▀        ████         █████             ████          ████        █████  ████    ████            

▬▬▬██

▬██

▬██

▬▬▬██
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2015, 06:17:33 PM

Use electrum. Create a new wallet and put those 12 words on a piece of paper. Then you can use the master public key on the computer. You can generate addresses and reciee receive on any of them but no one can touch your coins without that piece of paper. I would love to write you a tutorial if you are interested.

Electrum combined with a linux live cd should is the best "cold storage" method for you. Download and bootup a live cd, disconnect from internet, run electrum, mark down the 13 words (the newest electrum version uses 13 words), copy a few of your addresses into a text file. Then test your 13 words by rebooting with the live cd and recover your wallet with those 13 words. If you get the same addresses, you are safe to use them.
unsoindovo
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1042

https://locktrip.com/?refId=40964

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 08:02:00 PM

Use electrum. Create a new wallet and put those 12 words on a piece of paper. Then you can use the master public key on the computer. You can generate addresses and reciee receive on any of them but no one can touch your coins without that piece of paper. I would love to write you a tutorial if you are interested.

Electrum combined with a linux live cd should is the best "cold storage" method for you. Download and bootup a live cd, disconnect from internet, run electrum, mark down the 13 words (the newest electrum version uses 13 words), copy a few of your addresses into a text file. Then test your 13 words by rebooting with the live cd and recover your wallet with those 13 words. If you get the same addresses, you are safe to use them.

sure..
you can use live linux on usb or use and VMWare USB image to run Windows live if you do not
know linux operating system...
but i think linux use a very small amount of Gb

██▬▬▬

██▬

██▬

██▬▬▬

████           ▄▄█████████▄▄            ▄▄█████████▄▄        ████         █████      ██████████████████   ████████████       ████    ████████████    
████         ▄███████████████▄        ▄███████████████▄      ████       █████      ████████████████████  █████████████      ████    █████████████   
████        █████▀       ▀█████▄     █████▀       ▀█████     ████     █████         █       ████       █  ████     █████             ████     █████  
████       ████▀           ▀████▄   ████▀           ▀████    ████   █████                   ████          ████      ████     ████    ████      ████  
████      ████▀              ▀████ ▀███▀                     ████ █████                     ████          ████     █████     ████    ████     █████  
████      ████                 ████▄ ▀                       ████████                       ████          █████████████      ████    █████████████   
████      ████                  ▀████                        ████████                       ████          ████████████       ████    ████████████    
████      ████▄             ▄██▄ ▀████▄                      ████ █████                     ████          ████    ████       ████    ████            
████       ████▄           ▄████   ▀████▄           ▄████    ████   █████                   ████          ████    ▀████      ████    ████            
████        █████▄       ▄█████      █████▄       ▄█████     ████     █████                 ████          ████      ████     ████    ████            
████████████ ▀███████████████▀        ▀███████████████▀      ████       █████               ████          ████       ████    ████    ████            
█████████████  ▀▀█████████▀▀            ▀▀█████████▀▀        ████         █████             ████          ████        █████  ████    ████            

▬▬▬██

▬██

▬██

▬▬▬██
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 02:39:54 AM

A proper cold storage system should run on a separate airgapped machine. The private keys should never touch a computer that has been connected to the internet since they were generated.

You can't make a "proper" cold storage system with just one machine. It is possible for malware to live in the BIOS and firmware of your computer, which would allow it to spread to the live OS and steal from your wallet. Disconnecting from the internet is no good either, the malware can steal your Bitcoins without an internet connection. This is done by inserting a backdoor into the random number generator used when creating new Bitcoin addresses and signing transactions.

While your system may be safer than just a hot wallet on your everyday OS, it is significantly less safer than a real cold storage system. A smart hacker who's compromised your everyday OS can still steal your Bitcoins.

This is why I don't like calling systems like this cold storage, because it's not. It reminds me of BTER's "cold storage system" that was hacked, apparently they thought connecting to the internet is OK for your cold storage.

If you want a proper cold storage system, get a cheap second PC and setup Armory or electrum on it. Messing around with live OS's will only complicate things and doesn't provide any real security.

GoingAround

Activity: 476
Merit: 252

ImmVRse | Disrupting the VR industry

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 08:50:50 PM

You could use electrum; 1 online wallet that broadcast signed transactions and offline computer. This can be done with raspberry pi

Also you could use the same scheme with armory; raspberry pi handles armory quite well in offline mode (no blockchain) and then you generate addresses sign the transaction and the moe it to the computer.

Another scheme would be

Get a mycelium entropy and generate papaer cold wallets from a safe printer and store your btc, when you want to use them, use a live usb with latest tails version and import the private key send the funds and then reboot and elimite the old cold wallet since you just spent your bitcoins.

▄▄█████▄▄
▄█████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀

████          ████  ███████████▄▄                                
▀███▄        ▄███▀  █████████████▄                               
██    ▄███▄     ▄███▄      ▄███▄     ▄███▄   ████        ████            ▀████    ▄██████████▄     ▄██████████
██    ██ ██     ██ ██      ██ ██     ██ ██    ████      ████             ▄████   ██▀        ▀██   ██▀        
██   ██   ██   ██   ██    ██   ██   ██   ██   ▀███▄    ▄███▀    █████████████▀   ▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██   ██   ██   ██   ██    ██   ██   ██   ██    ████    ████     ███████████▀▀      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
██  ██     ██ ██     ██  ██     ██ ██     ██    ████  ████      ████   ████      ██▄        ▄██   ██▄        
██  ██     ▀███▀     ██  ██     ▀███▀     ██    ▀███▄▄███▀      ████    ████      ▀██████████▀     ▀██████████
████████       ████     ████                                
██████        ████      ████                                

WHITEPAPER    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
APPLY FOR CROWDSALE
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    BITCOINTALK

Proud Sponsor of
Blockchain 360 at
London Tech Week
  ◢  FACEBOOK
◢  TWITTER
◢  TELEGRAM
◢  MEDIUM