Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:35:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Who or what is behind the recent price increase?
Healthy widening of the user base
Unhealthy circlejerk of the same user base
Kim Dotcom taking the advice seriously
Pirate and other HYIP injecting fiat in
Increased hoarding of mined coins due to positive outlook
Increased media coverage due to Bitcoinica debacle

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Who or what is behind the recent price increase?  (Read 3250 times)
niko (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 06:30:42 PM

Speculate!

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 06:43:39 PM

This buying seems to be constant and not reckless, it does not look to be driven by "irrational exuberance".

wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1001

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 07:52:18 PM

This buying seems to be constant and not reckless, it does not look to be driven by "irrational exuberance".
Just give it some more time Wink

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 07:55:19 PM

Add an option: Media coverage due to Bitcoinica debacle.
cheat_2_win

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 08:05:11 PM

small group of people with money who want to buy bitcoin without outrageous price increase.
bitcoinbear

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 08:23:49 PM

How about an option "It has been undervalued since last June, the price is finally going back to where it should be"?

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2012, 08:57:10 PM

"Healthy widening of the user base"

For those who voted that: Is that your mother, aunts and other relatives buying bitcoin and leaving them on a blockchain.info wallet?
How that is that working out for you?
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 09:01:44 PM

For those who voted that: Is that your mother, aunts and other relatives buying bitcoin and leaving them on a blockchain.info wallet?

How's the graph of declining nodes explain appreciation of Bitcoin we're seeing past couple months?
bitcoinbear

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 09:04:20 PM

How's the graph of declining nodes explain appreciation of Bitcoin we're seeing past couple months?

It is becoming less and less imperative that you run a node to use bitcoin, since services are popping up which run bitocin for you.

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2012, 09:07:57 PM

niko (OP)

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 09:19:16 PM

Add an option: Media coverage due to Bitcoinica debacle.

Done. You may recast your votes!

dust

Activity: 840

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2012, 02:54:18 AM

• Healthy widening of the user base
  • Pirate and other HYIP injecting fiat in
  • Increased hoarding of mined coins due to positive outlook

Cryptocoin Mining Info | OTC | PGP | Twitter | freenode: dust-otc | BTC: 1F6fV4U2xnpAuKtmQD6BWpK3EuRosKzF8U
redbeans2012

Activity: 887

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 07:48:33 AM

Since Iran has sanctions on them, bitcoin is the only other method to conduct business.
niko (OP)

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 11:04:39 PM

Since Iran has sanctions on them, bitcoin is the only other method to conduct business.

How exactly would that work? Say I am an executive of a factory in Iran weaving fancy carpets that I can't sell in the US or Germany due to trade sanctions. How exactly would Bitcoin help?

Another example - I'm an executive of Iranian Airlines, and western companies are banned from selling me repair parts. How would Bitcoin help me with the maintenance of the fleet?

I know this is the "speculation" board, but we should speculate based on reason and facts.

bitcoinbear

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 02:33:17 AM

How exactly would that work? Say I am an executive of a factory in Iran weaving fancy carpets that I can't sell in the US or Germany due to trade sanctions. How exactly would Bitcoin help?

Another example - I'm an executive of Iranian Airlines, and western companies are banned from selling me repair parts. How would Bitcoin help me with the maintenance of the fleet?

I know this is the "speculation" board, but we should speculate based on reason and facts.

Weave carpet. Sell for bitcoins. Send carpet to buyer.

Send bitcoins to associate in country with airplane making parts, EG Germany. Associate transfers funds from bitcoins to Euros, buys parts. Associate transports parts to you.

There are lots of ways which bitcoins can be used to move capital around, you just have to be creative.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 02:42:08 AM

Weave carpet. Sell for bitcoins. Send carpet to buyer. Carpet shipments gets intercepted and foreign buyer arrested for violating sanctions.

Send bitcoins to associate in country with airplane making parts, EG Germany. Associate transfers funds from bitcoins to Euros, buys parts. Associate transports parts to you. Associate is undercover agent who uses the transaction as evidence against airline company which is fined $50 million for violation of international sanctions.

There are lots of ways which bitcoins can be used to move capital around, you just have to be creative.  Which doesn't help when your country is under international sanctions.

FYPFY

Um do you get the concept of sanctions.  If Iran could have associates just ship them goods and have foreign ports accept their goods they wouldn't NEED bitcoin.

Sanction means that companies that accept Iranian goods face seizure and arrest by local police.  
Sanctions mean that Iranian cargo can't be unloaded in foreign ports without risk of seizure and destruction.
Sanctions mean that cargo ships carrying Iranian cargo risk being seized during coast guard inspections and held at the owner's loss.  
Sanctions mean that the airline parts company which sends parts to Iran faces criminal charges and million dollar fines.

Granted people do try to get around sanctions but the idea that somehow accepting bitcoins frees Iran from sanctions is just silly.
redbeans2012

Activity: 887

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 02:55:25 AM

I was mostly joking around of course. 
bittenbob

Activity: 560

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 03:48:30 AM

I personally believe it is due to wider adoption but here is another theory you did not present:

A criminal organization has taken note of Bitcoins potential to be used for money laundering and transferring funds within their organization without the prying eyes of banks. In order to effectively do this, Bitcoin must be worth much more than $5-6, so they are injecting fiat into Bitcoin to make it more suitable for that purpose. In order to prevent anyone from taking too much advantage of this and causing a bubble, the capital injection is happening over a long period of time.

*Puts tin foil hat down*
BitcoinINV

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 03:51:02 AM

I personally believe it is due to wider adoption but here is another theory you did not present:

A criminal organization has taken note of Bitcoins potential to be used for money laundering and transferring funds within their organization without the prying eyes of banks. In order to effectively do this, Bitcoin must be worth much more than $5-6, so they are injecting fiat into Bitcoin to make it more suitable for that purpose. In order to prevent anyone from taking too much advantage of this and causing a bubble, the capital injection is happening over a long period of time.

*Puts tin foil hat down*

Pretty funny but you may never know lol

Yuhfhrh

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 03:52:35 AM

Adam.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: