Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 03:07:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you prefer bitcoin, FIAT money or other?
Bitcoin, why?
FIAT money,  why?
other,  why?

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you prefer bitcoin, FIAT money or other?  (Read 2510 times)
manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 06:16:56 PM

Both, Bitcoin because its the best way to transfer money around the world, fiat because its accepted everywhere. So if BTC was accepted everywhere guess what, I wouldn't need fiat.
Bitware

Activity: 926
Merit: 1001

weaving spiders come not here

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 11:49:19 AM

I prefer fiat right now, though that may change in the future. I am a realist and live in reality... not the land of whimsy and emotion. Fiat is legal tender and we could not survive without it under current laws. Even if you attempt to live on only Bitcoin, those you do business with must convert it to fiat and use fiat to buy products and services and pay taxes along the way. Because of existing laws, you can't "live on Bitcoin." Until governments start accepting Bitcoin for taxes, fiat will rule. That said, I see a bright future for Bitcoin.

Thanks for your fantastic reply, and what if I told you "revolution". If we hypothesize that all the people of a country will stop to pay tax because they hate FIAT money... what do you think will happen? I would like to remind you of what revolution means :

- the usually violent attempt by many people to end the rule of one government and start a new one

- a sudden, extreme, or complete change in the way people live, work, etc.

- the action of moving around something in a path that is similar to a circle

Source : http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/revolution

You did not frame the poll as to what we may prefer in the future or after a perceived or actualized revolution, but I did state that my preference may change in the future. Nothing is written in stone except our inevitable decline and demise as we age.

My post stands as written. Right now I prefer fiat, because it's easier to earn and use for my currency needs for survival, business and quality of life. I live in the present, but plan for the future and I never place all my eggs in one basket. I believe in diversification so there is never any single point of failure, whether that's crypto, physical goods, precious metals, food stores, fiat or real estate.

Bitcoin may certainly be a revolution of sorts, but then it may not be, and even if it is, revolutions often fail, and revolutions often come with lots of violence. The latter is not something I look forward to experiencing nor have my children experience. The worlds most powerful and influential people rely on fiat, and many of them have committed war, genocide and mercenary actions  to keep their status quo intact.

I prefer a long transformation in hearts and minds to the quick violence of insurrection, rebellion or revolution.

Be careful what you wish for.
Totaldice

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 09:18:25 PM

I love Bitcoin's speed, anonymity, and usability online, but in terms of face to face transactions FIAT is more widely accepted. I guess it depends on the situation to be honest.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 09:24:49 PM

Of course, dollar banknotes. Unlike BTC they are fast, anonymous and accepted by 99% of merchants.
deluxeCITY

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 09:36:17 PM

Hey guys,

I've decided to open this thread for ask you now if you are forced to choose between bitcoin and FIAT money (eur, usd, yen, etc...) [1].

What will you choose?[2]

[1] Only an hypothetical case.
[2] With all the flaws and strengths of the two option.

As it stands i need to use fiat but this is not my first choice if i had a choice lol I would prefer to use buttons or marbles maybe rocks but they won't allow it unfortunately. I can't spend BItcoin on everything i need so i am still already forced to choose fiat. If one day Bitcoin can be used for everything that fiat can then i would change my vote to reflect that. Lets face it though they are all controlled by someone, government/big mining companies.
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2015, 12:14:07 AM

Choosing a little bit of everything. That is what we call diversification. I hope fiat will be completely replaced someday but till then, I still need to depend on it. Also apart from bitcoin, I'm also going for precious metal and mutual funds, that way at least if the economic situation turns bad, you've got yourself covered. 

BitcoinNewbie15

Activity: 574
Merit: 296

Bitcoin isn't a bubble. It's the pin!

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 12:22:27 AM

I personally prefer bitcoin over fiat for many reasons. Too many to list Smiley but some major ones is, it feels good to have all of your money, in your control. Also, i like how i can access my money whenever i want without having to go through a middle man. I would be happy with using bitcoin as my primary currency, but just more places need to accept it.
silkylove

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 12:45:33 AM

Right now I still have 65% of my savings in cash, and I prefer to have at least 50% of my savings in cash for the foreseeable future.  Of course that percentage changes often depending on the exchange rate.  One day I hope that I will have the vast majority in bitcoin.
bitcoin_bagholder

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 12:59:20 AM

I love the Bitcoin ideology, but it's tough to top the feeling of having a big wad of cash in your pocket.

Compare it to precious metals: Physically in your possession allowing you to handle it periodically (hold it, kiss it, whatever) versus a piece of paper proving ownership of said precious metals.

Bitmixer sucks

Bit-X sucks
GTO911

Activity: 672

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 05:43:44 AM

Monero, more fungible and private than Bitcoin. Faster too
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2015, 06:39:52 AM

In an ideal world I would prefer to use bitcoin, but we don't live in an ideal world. I don't think bitcoin or some other digital or crypto currency will overtake fiat in our lifetime but even if it gained 10% of fiat's adoption I'd be very happy. I think bitcoin will flourish and dominate certain industries, though.
As somebody said, bitcoin is FIAT money.
How the hell is bitcoin fiat money? It's the exact opposite of it.
It is hard to define bitcoin because bitcoins is not physical item thus it can't be exchanged on par with gold or other precious metals. Bitcoin value is based on people's idea of what it can be worth. So I wouldn't go as far to say that bitcoin is 'exact opposite of FIAT".
It's 100% not fiat money by the very definition:
Fiat money is currency which derives its value from government regulation or law  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_money
Unfortunately, people like to act smart around here. It would have taken less than 5 seconds to search the word 'fiat' and open a result in Google.
Another one that I've got: "inconvertible paper money made legal tender by a government decree". There is no way that Bitcoin is fiat, and this is just pure nonsense.
Yes, Bitcoin is the exact opposite.

Monero, more fungible and private than Bitcoin. Faster too
Sure, primarily used to mix stolen Bitcoin (check reddit). Monero certainly contributes to the whole ecosystem (in its own, money laundering way).

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
GTO911

Activity: 672

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 07:07:30 AM

Sure, primarily used to mix stolen Bitcoin (check reddit). Monero certainly contributes to the whole ecosystem (in its own, money laundering way).

Much better than regulated crap
ipbo

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 07:47:06 AM

Bitcoins is the best for me, nothing beats it.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: