Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 10:15:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Be careful of low rep GLBSE issuers.  (Read 3162 times)
LoupGaroux

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 02:57:58 PM

First off, don't make yourself look like an ass by attacking somebody's command of the English language. Most of the the world's population does not speak it, and it is the height of narrow minded arrogance to assume otherwise.

Then, with respect to new securities, and the new identities that list them- true, every buyer should make informed choices in his or her investment. Part of that due diligence is finding standards to judge investments by, and having a forum reputation, and a documented history of your thoughts is valuable background. Just as studying the security in question is critical.

Let's take the aforementioned BLUECHIP as an example. I wonder how many potential investors actually read through all the fine print to see that the issuer of that security has mandated both a sell price and a buy price. So it is not a market commodity at all, but just means for this issuer to sell the unsubstantiated claim that he will buy what he considers to be blue chip investments, pay some vague dividends and require you to sell back any shares at one half the purchase price. With a desired market cap of $1.1 million US dollars. To support that effort the issuer has created a free blogspot website, and done nothing further to improve it, created a free Google spreadsheet, and done nothing to populate it, and created a blog and a Twitter account, and done nothing with them.

Gee, I don't really think that it is attacking newbies to suggest that potential investors might want to take a couple of extra minutes to think about sending Mr. BLUECHIP a half million bucks of pure profit in return for his talents at using free web tools. Talking about the markets, all markets associated with bitcoin in fact, is valuable for all. Looking very critically at a new class of "investments" that seem to pop up like mushrooms when the value of bitcoin grows, and are offered using the time honored techniques and tools of proven scammers is just good manners, and adds credibility to the markets.
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2012, 02:31:48 AM

First off, don't make yourself look like an ass by attacking somebody's command of the English language. Most of the the world's population does not speak it, and it is the height of narrow minded arrogance to assume otherwise.

Then, with respect to new securities, and the new identities that list them- true, every buyer should make informed choices in his or her investment. Part of that due diligence is finding standards to judge investments by, and having a forum reputation, and a documented history of your thoughts is valuable background. Just as studying the security in question is critical.

Let's take the aforementioned BLUECHIP as an example. I wonder how many potential investors actually read through all the fine print to see that the issuer of that security has mandated both a sell price and a buy price. So it is not a market commodity at all, but just means for this issuer to sell the unsubstantiated claim that he will buy what he considers to be blue chip investments, pay some vague dividends and require you to sell back any shares at one half the purchase price. With a desired market cap of $1.1 million US dollars. To support that effort the issuer has created a free blogspot website, and done nothing further to improve it, created a free Google spreadsheet, and done nothing to populate it, and created a blog and a Twitter account, and done nothing with them.

Gee, I don't really think that it is attacking newbies to suggest that potential investors might want to take a couple of extra minutes to think about sending Mr. BLUECHIP a half million bucks of pure profit in return for his talents at using free web tools. Talking about the markets, all markets associated with bitcoin in fact, is valuable for all. Looking very critically at a new class of "investments" that seem to pop up like mushrooms when the value of bitcoin grows, and are offered using the time honored techniques and tools of proven scammers is just good manners, and adds credibility to the markets.

I was mostly referencing their possible scam listing also https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=100800.0

Sorry if I dont give them "fucking respect".

BinaryMage

Activity: 560

Ad astra.

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 03:55:22 AM

I concur with advising caution, but post count is not necessarily indicative of validity. Correlation does not imply causation.

-- BinaryMage -- | OTC | PGP
vendor

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 04:01:17 AM

I was mostly referencing their possible scam listing also https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=100800.0

Nice wellcome. I will not judge the community about your behavior.
BinaryMage

Ad astra.

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 04:05:38 AM

Who are you quoting? No one except you has used that term in this thread.

Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2012, 04:06:27 AM

I concur with advising caution, but post count is not necessarily indicative of validity. Correlation does not imply causation.

This is why the thread title says "low reputation"  not "low post count". You can import reputation from other places such as Ebay if you can prove you own the account. The main thing to look for is transparency.

puffn

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 04:11:39 AM

I am ok with imposing higher standards on those with lower post counts. Sure it won't discourage those who want to game the system, but you increase the transactions costs associated with fraud by forcing them to either verify their identity, or to invest a lot in the community. Either way, it disincentivises fraud. Also, 1MM dollars. If you are going to scam, don't make it so obvious. Even Giga only has 40k shares, and he is damned reliable.

Looking for safe diversification? YABIF: Good Returns, Low Fees, Low Risk.

GLBSE
Bitcointalk Page

I hold significant interest in
Bitcoin Mining Investments
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2012, 07:50:01 AM

That would be pretty weird if having a low post count caused people to be scammers. Although I could see having a high post count keeping someone honest at the margin, not wanting to tarnish a reputation. So there could be some causation going on.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
BinaryMage

Ad astra.

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 05:45:00 PM

That would be pretty weird if having a low post count caused people to be scammers. Although I could see having a high post count keeping someone honest at the margin, not wanting to tarnish a reputation. So there could be some causation going on.

But one could also hypothesize that a scammer might intentionally gain high post counts in order to convince users of his legitimacy. It all really depends on how much value we put on post counts. I would advocate none or very little, because many users with high post counts contribute very little, and many with low post counts contribute quite a bit. In the end, it comes down to personal judgement. No one single metric can judge whether or not a user is a scammer, post count included.

Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2012, 05:47:14 PM

Who are you quoting? No one except you has used that term in this thread.

It's in reference to Patrick from Bitcoinica on an irc chat demanding he gets some "fucking respect", kind of a bitcoin pop culture/meme thing now.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
vendor

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 05:55:05 PM

But one could also hypothesize that a scammer might intentionally gain high post counts in order to convince users of his legitimacy. It all really depends on how much value we put on post counts. I would advocate none or very little, because many users with high post counts contribute very little, and many with low post counts contribute quite a bit. In the end, it comes down to personal judgement. No one single metric can judge whether or not a user is a scammer, post count included.

I agree with you. I am not refering to myself because I am really a newcomer here. But look at the guy who is runing vircurex and cryptostocks and only have 33 posts so far. I understand the concerns about me because I done nothing yet to the community. I am just working my way through earning some reputatation without the talent cryptostocks has.
BitcoinINV

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 05:58:10 PM

I agree with you. I am not refering to myself because I am really a newcomer here. But look at the guy who is runing vircurex and cryptostocks and only have 33 posts so far. I understand the concerns about me because I done nothing yet to the community. I am just working my way through earning some reputatation without the talent cryptostocks has.

Dude check out my forum post I hit the same wall you did, look what I did to clear it. I was even called a scamer!  Shocked Just do stuff to prove your here for good, and to profit and to help others profit!

Insu Dra

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 10:58:40 PM

under 10 100 posts questions will be asked. Deal with it.

Slight adjustment to give the point a +1, it's is what it is.
After all we are dealing with real assets and not some pixel based goods.

Its also a red flag that people cannot spell properly and use incorrect grammar.

Oh noes bite me ... yes posting random crap to up my count.

"drugs, guns, and gambling for anyone and everyone!"
BinaryMage

Ad astra.

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 01:16:36 AM

It's in reference to Patrick from Bitcoinica on an irc chat demanding he gets some "fucking respect", kind of a bitcoin pop culture/meme thing now.

Ah, thanks Nefario.

Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 01:24:05 AM

Beware of highly respected members of this board even more than noobs. History shows that this board affords a lot of respect to high profile scammers. The larger the scam the higher "respect" and "fucking respect" their operators have commanded at the time right before those scams unravelling.

-
BinaryMage

Ad astra.

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 06:02:43 AM

Beware of highly respected members of this board even more than noobs. History shows that this board affords a lot of respect to high profile scammers. The larger the scam the higher "respect" and "fucking respect" their operators have commanded at the time right before those scams unravelling.

Condemning someone for participation seems a little misguided. Perhaps a better way to phrase it would be "don't equate post count or time here to legitimacy".

Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 06:37:09 AM

https://glbse.com/asset/view/TIMESHAREAFRICA and https://glbse.com/asset/view/MMM  are two more securities to be careful of.

vendor

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 06:50:07 AM

I think we have to be careful of every single new security listed on GLBSE under IPOs but thanks for the effort to copypast them here.
EskimoBob
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Quality Printing Services by Federal Reserve Bank

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 11:16:35 AM

And before you invest your BTC to a contract, that promises you 110% of what ever PPS and solemnly swears to pay you a awesome income of N Mh/s, until the end of time (perpetual), read this:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=98517.0

While reading what I wrote, use the most friendliest and relaxing voice in your head.
BTW, Things in BTC bubble universes are getting ugly....
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 10:56:24 PM

There's always the Web of Trust. Post count isn't such a big deal, as some here have intimated. Actual trading rep, on the other hand....

Edit: And serious kudos to LoupGaroux above for a coherent & valid argument.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: