Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 08:23:30 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: averaging down  (Read 1585 times)
brokenchair (OP)

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 06:54:07 PM

Have a lot of you been doing this the entire time?
Debating doing a large purchase, but then again every time I have tried to do this well......look at the btc price history for the past year........ and of course the current decline since the last time we crossed 300 

stonerider

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 07:23:14 PM

Bitcoin is a perpetually declining commodity, due to miners dumping and whales shorting. There will be brief periods of pumping by the whales and early adopters, so wait until then.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 07:27:01 PM

Nope. I set a limit as to what I was willing to spend and how many coins I thought would make a difference to my life in the future if it really took off and stuck to it. If I want more then I'll earn it or trade for it.

If it dies, so be it. I'm not going to chase it downwards. The idea of spending more to reduce a loss doesn't really compute for me.
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 07:31:18 PM

Debating doing a large purchase, but then again every time I have tried to do this well......look at the btc price history for the past year........ and of course the current decline since the last time we crossed 300 

Make every decision independently of all of your others.
If you would buy now, forgetting the fact that you bought at a higher price, then buy.  If you would not buy, but want to as you have bought at a higher price, don't buy.

What you do now and what you have done before are independent events.
AmDD
Legendary

Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 07:32:43 PM

I used to try and buy at the right time during the lows, etc and ended up getting burnt. Now I buy once a week, every week, regardless of price.

BTC tip jar: 18EKpbrcXxbpzAZv3T58ccGcVis7W7JR9w
LTC tip jar: Lgp8ERykAgx6Q8NdMqpi5vnVoUMD2hYn2a
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 07:35:13 PM

I have been buying all the way down to bring down my average buy price.

Right now is probably a decent idea, I am debating doing it myself.
Raystonn

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 07:43:55 PM

My income is paid partly in Bitcoin.  The amount is based on the market value in USD.  When price is lower, I receive more Bitcoins.  This will continue until I have cornered the Bitcoin market or price is so high that I have retired.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2015, 07:48:28 PM

lol, this thread
brokenchair (OP)

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 08:25:53 PM

Thanks for the replies. 
I guess i'll transfer money to an exchange just incase anything big happens anytime soon, but right now I feel like its such a gamble. 
uki
Legendary

Activity: 1358

cryptojunk bag holder

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 08:57:00 PM

not a good idea, unless you have really big pockets.
Remember that market can always move in the 'wrong direction' longer that you can afford.

this space is intentionally left blank
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 5070

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 10:11:19 PM

Yes I'll admit that I've "averaged down" on bitcoin.  Actually just bought some more @ $220 a month ago, and still don't regret it.  At some point you have to let it ride, man.

Only bulls and permabulls do this.

The bear troll day traders would never do this, they only open/close long short bitcoin positions in short time frames.  But of course, day traders don't see bitcoin as real money, as an asset to hold long term and actually use in the real world.  They only see it as something that can use to profit (or lose) more fiat on.  Most of them lose... constantly.

Something to consider:  
When bitcoin takes off again, it'll catch you completely off-guard.  It'll triple in price before you can even hit the "buy" button.  So ask yourself, is that really the place you want to be, being late to the party?
techgeek

Activity: 826

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 10:15:34 PM

Nope. I set a limit as to what I was willing to spend and how many coins I thought would make a difference to my life in the future if it really took off and stuck to it. If I want more then I'll earn it or trade for it.

If it dies, so be it. I'm not going to chase it downwards. The idea of spending more to reduce a loss doesn't really compute for me.

Pretty smart.

I think most can learn from this, is that its better to not chase trades that may or may not go up. I tooken a similar approach with bitcoin as well, I earn most of mine and thats obviously with other misc work or signatures like 90% users are on this forum.

But I will never go buy it, and yeah some people call me a fool, but how can you call a fool when someones trying to predict the future?

Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 3993

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 10:51:18 PM

yeah, my feelings exactly. Not going to chase it. If it is going to make it-OK. If not, then it would not.
Averaging down does not work in 80-90% cases on the stock market as well.
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 5070

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 10:58:07 PM

yeah, my feelings exactly. Not going to chase it. If it is going to make it-OK. If not, then it would not.

Cool, wait for an uptrend to be confirmed at 400+, then buy.

(But then you could have bought at $240, oh well... you can chase it on the way up)
uki
Legendary

Activity: 1358

cryptojunk bag holder

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 11:02:49 PM

(But then you could have bought at $240, oh well... you can chase it on the way up)
Don't let your trades to be driven by greed, especially on the potential future gains.
If you don't catch the exact bottom, then be it, but you are in at least at the point when you are sure that the trend is as you think it is.

this space is intentionally left blank
waterpile

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 02:25:18 AM

I have been buying all the way down to bring down my average buy price.

Right now is probably a decent idea, I am debating doing it myself.

Yup, hold until another price hike happens.
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4046
Merit: 4603

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 03:34:14 AM

Every time I buy on the dips, I'm averaging my price up, even when I bought at $175 mid-January.

No, I'm not an early adopter (any more than we're all early adopters). I paid double digits for most of my coins, triple digits for some. Never have I paid single digits or pennies.
hyphymikey

Activity: 784

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 04:05:53 AM

Every time I buy on the dips, I'm averaging my price up, even when I bought at $175 mid-January.

No, I'm not an early adopter (any more than we're all early adopters). I paid double digits for most of my coins, triple digits for some. Never have I paid single digits or pennies.

Same here. Got some close to single digits though, but used most of those on purchases in 2013.

Now I just constantly buy, just about everyday. I try to buy the dips just to have some fun, and screw over the bears (buy the coins at the bottom of a dip that they were dumping to get to). Average is still in the double digits though. As soon as the funds start up I will roll over my 401k and use my companies 2 to 1 matching to grow my stash. That will definitely bring my average to triple digits. I'm a permabull so the only number I look at is how many coins, not how much they are worth.
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 05:14:19 AM

Not certain if this is meant sarcastically or not, but this thinking is one of the main reasons people lose money on stocks and investments. They wait for the market to move, then trade, meaning they buy high sell low, whereas obviously you want to do it the other way round.

Never chase it, down or up!
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4046
Merit: 4603

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 05:22:11 AM

Same here. Got some close to single digits though, but used most of those on purchases in 2013.

Now I just constantly buy, just about everyday. I try to buy the dips just to have some fun, and screw over the bears (buy the coins at the bottom of a dip that they were dumping to get to). Average is still in the double digits though. As soon as the funds start up I will roll over my 401k and use my companies 2 to 1 matching to grow my stash. That will definitely bring my average to triple digits. I'm a permabull so the only number I look at is how many coins, not how much they are worth.

Smart man.

My biggest mistake was to only buy hundreds rather than thousands of coins when I had the chance.

Now I have to be content to just buy a few coins now and then as my budget allows. My last purchase of >10BTC in a single day was in mid-January and I had to reallocate funds from other areas to accomplish that. I'm not poor but I'm not rich either.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: