Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 02:56:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: When will this bubble pop?  (Read 6780 times)
kentrolla

Activity: 1568
Merit: 565

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2012, 08:46:38 PM

yea, if you sold 300k btc's all on the mtgox/USD market then it would go to 1.15.  why would someone do that when they could sell in a lot of different currencies and get a lot more money out of them?

i think you guys are assuming that the mtgox/USD depth is all that's there.
It's the same bid orders converted to different currencies.
this is news to me.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2012, 09:07:24 PM

2 GB now.....the growth rate is accelerating and will be much, much larger in a year. 

This prediction assumes that nothing is done to fix the scaling issues. As far as I know this is one of the priorities for the development team.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Kupsi
Legendary

Activity: 1193
Merit: 1003

9.9.2012: I predict that single digits... <- FAIL

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 09:10:16 PM

yea, if you sold 300k btc's all on the mtgox/USD market then it would go to 1.15.  why would someone do that when they could sell in a lot of different currencies and get a lot more money out of them?

i think you guys are assuming that the mtgox/USD depth is all that's there.
It's the same bid orders converted to different currencies.
this is news to me.

The good news is that there's also less coins for sale than it appears  Cheesy
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 09:50:55 PM

last time the bubble popped because many ppl lost faith due to the "goxing" that occurred.   If none of the major exchanges get hacked again we could see it reach $20 - $30 again very soon and even achieve stability at those prices..
SkRRJyTC
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 09:53:42 PM

No bubble here so no popping either... but I am selling some at these levels as we are in dire need of a pullback.  The technical are maxed out on every time scale from what I can see and its going to be more profitable to be a bear for the next couple days/weeks I think.
yochdog
Legendary

Activity: 2044

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 09:56:50 PM

No bubble here so no popping either... but I am selling some at these levels as we are in dire need of a pullback.  The technical are maxed out on every time scale from what I can see and its going to be more profitable to be a bear for the next couple days/weeks I think.

I would not be suprised to see a pullback to 10-ish or so.....but not much more than that. 

I am a trusted trader!  Ask Inaba, Luo Demin, Vanderbleek, Sannyasi, Episking, Miner99er, Isepick, Amazingrando, Cablez, ColdHardMetal, Dextryn, MB300sd, Robocoder, gnar1ta$ and many others!
finkleshnorts

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 10:00:54 PM

last time the bubble popped because many ppl lost faith due to the "goxing" that occurred.   If none of the major exchanges get hacked again we could see it reach $20 - $30 again very soon and even achieve stability at those prices..

Not really IMO. The $30 dollar coin last year would have drastically popped regardless. It might have continued for longer if the goxing didn't occur.
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 10:02:41 PM

What you see is bitcoins flowing from weak hands to strong hands. It can keep going on for long time, until it stops for a while.

-
finkleshnorts

Activity: 336

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 10:03:47 PM

What you see is bitcoins flowing from weak hands to strong hands. It can keep going on for long time, until it stops for a while.

Sounds about right.
waspoza

Activity: 602
Merit: 508

Firstbits: 1waspoza

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 10:25:57 PM

+1000 They aint gonna get my coins anytime soon.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 10:26:51 PM

When are we going to see the price settle back down for a brief interval before resuming its inexorable upward plod?

just hold. bitcoin can only go up up up!

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 05:55:04 AM

i'm glad i got out at $3.    whew.
calian

Activity: 354

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 06:22:25 AM

+1000 They aint gonna get my coins anytime soon.

Yeah, I want a few more zeros on the price here.
axus

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 01:44:01 PM

When are we going to see the price settle back down for a brief interval before resuming its inexorable upward plod?
just hold. bitcoin can only go up up up!

Bitcoin prices can only go up.  Bitcoin will continue it's inexorable %10 weekly rise.  Anyone who buys now, will be billionaires.  Those who don't, will be stuck with worthless fiat currency and live in tents.
</sarcasm>

Accelerating growth is the sign of a bubble.  It will keep accelerating until it's too fast, then pop.  When I said 100% rise in a short period, I meant a weekend or a day.
</speculation>
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 01:59:08 PM

Maybe gox translates the bids across all the currencies and 100k is the total, it doesn't make much sense that Japan has about the same value of bids as US.

I guess I always assumed this was correct, Gox just does currency conversion as needed, the demand side is still the same pressure. Don't quote me on this though. In fact, if more Americans are selling Bitcoins for US cash than someone is buying in another currency it would entirely explain the problems Gox is having getting cash to customers.
unclescrooge
aka Raphy

Activity: 868

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 02:01:02 PM

it's not a bubble because it's a very controlled growth. But  as people see it grow so regurlarly, groth will keep accelerating until ... I don't know until when, but I don't think there will be some major draw back.

Of course there can be some serious player coming in, and then we look at several folds increase in a short time, and stabilisation at a far higher price. Considering the potential I see it as possible.

+1

By the way, are you still working on a paypal-like system for bitcoin? (sorry if you don't want to talk about it)
SkRRJyTC
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 07:36:06 PM

Well with last nights spikes my trading funds are now all USD... Nice daily doji candle could turn into red volume very easily... daily slow stoch has crossed down. 

I say the top is in.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2012, 07:43:41 PM

Interesting thing, I am glad I stayed out of this.

It's nice to see how certain people shift in their statements over the time. Makes me more confident to read up on how to implement a bot.  
This is to me: I'd never make a single trade till I got something working, that should hopefully motivate myself. Grin
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 08:15:01 PM

The entire blockchain is approaching 2 GB rapidly and accelerating.  This will pose a problem down the road as just downloading the blockchain will take days. 

This is not really an issue.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99742.msg1093235#msg1093235

Besides, there are many fantastic alternative clients that don't require a full node. I assume only miners and Bitcoin enthusiasts will run a full node in the future anyway.

Yup, nothing stopping you from just running a client in the background. 2 gig? No big whoop, really.

2 GB now.....the growth rate is accelerating and will be much, much larger in a year. 

So will my hard drive.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 08:27:21 PM

There is even the chance that the whole world economy "pops" at once before the BTC price. Anyway the banksters have the same expectations of all the BTC bulls here:

From: http://www.golemxiv.co.uk/2012/08/a-waiting-game/ :

"I don’t think the banks will lend in to the real economy because they calculate that such a socially useful strategy gives low returns to them. Should they ‘defect’ from this generous strategy and chose instead the selfish strategy of ‘hoard and wait’ then they could make not just a large return but an epic one. They could emerge as owners of everything people will need in order to rebuild their lives. Water, power, rail, hospitals, you name it.

This is what the banks are waiting for. And our politicians are giving them our money so they can."
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: